ASD isn't something to be a slave to

I couldn’t find a thread about autism awareness or Support, so I’m making it now☺️

We’ve all learned things over our lives and some have found a way to grasp control over the wonky brain chemistry ASD causes.

I had long forgotten about this article. I’ll have to dig for it, but I remember another article talking about cannabis and it’s effects on GABA.

To get shit done when I’m dry I took some gabapentin as I’m in the apparently select few percentage of people who get relief and help from it. It’s been years since I have taken it and I have to say that the effects feel closer to microdosing LSD.

Phone’s about to die, so I’ll finish this with more later.

9 Likes

I found a better article, but be warned if you don’t like reading it’s a book basically :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

My son is on the spectrum, and it is a strange trip watching him grow up. So behind on some things, and so ahead on just as many others.

We are lucky in the sense that he presents well - does not stim in public, behaves well, is not a flight risk most of the time. Even being in a much better situation than most parents with ASD kids, it is hard work and I would absolutely take his autism away if I could, even if it meant letting go of some of the unique aspects of his personality that we have learned to love. He is not going to have it easy in life.

I’m happy they are looking into the biological aspects of this. ASD is defined behaviorally, so we, to a point, have no idea what causes it. One thing we do know is that it is on the rise, and as such seems to be an evolutionary adaptation of sorts. Maybe we will do away with spoken language altogether in a few generations and just speak in memes. That would be something…

6 Likes

I can speak from personal experience here that my quirks do not go away at all when I medicate away my aspects of ASD I wish would go away permanently. I still have a strong passion for science regardless of my ASD. It got even easier to focus on a train of thought and get to the finish line for once instead of all my issues getting in the way and making me basically Doug from Up.

I’ll be looking into if there’s any food, drink, or plant that can help with glutamate levels. Specifically lowering them as I have noticed when I take gabapentin while it’s not the best drug it does help me to for once not have my skin crawling.

Sensory input overload is basically what I deal with mostly. Hearing too. TBH it’s why I like playing cod and other games like it that are fast paced and not huge map games like battlefield. The length of time I have between start and battle is the most important factor. In cod it’s pretty much instant half the time. I don’t have time to feel my issues and I stay immersed in the game. Fallout is on the cusp of too much gaps between action, but just enough input to drown out my issues.

What I have to do to keep my head in check sucks when sober, but I’ve found options at least that mild help. I just had to recognized what was triggering my episodes and find a way to not have it bother me. Avoiding it won’t help. I had to find a use for it and that helps.

5 Likes

new study confirms the efficacy and safety of cannabis for ASD:

After six months of treatment 82.4% of patients (155) were in active treatment and 60.0% (93) have been assessed; 28 patients (30.1%) reported a significant improvement, 50 (53.7%) moderate, 6 (6.4%) slight and 8 (8.6%) had no change in their condition. Twenty-three patients (25.2%) experienced at least one side effect; the most common was restlessness (6.6%). Cannabis in ASD patients appears to be well tolerated, safe and effective option to relieve symptoms associated with ASD.

2 Likes

I wish the study was a larger pool, but good on them at least for making note of the same my parents have in my case. Before I told them why my mood improved, they just thought my meds were helping me at a way higher rate than before. My med doctor knew I was treating myself with cannabis instead and when it was clear I was being helped with only cannabis after a year they discontinued my prescriptions since I hadn’t taken them the entire time I used cannabis instead. I’m still finding old meds I stashed somewhere to pretend I was taking them.

I’ve made note here on the site before too that high THC helps me medically more than CBD, but when I had a near 1:1 ratio I’d notice that my conditions didn’t feel as bad more in my control. When I added CBC and CBG my pain was helped considerably more and my tic of cracking my knuckles when stressed even mildly usually stops. Something felt missing though.

It’s specific to my case I know, but my amounts are a 40% THC, 40% CBD, 14% CBN, 5% CBG. And 1% CBC was the combination ratio that helped me best. Terps were low in the oil at the time or at least for ones I could taste anyways. The distillate I had that was a mix of oils didn’t list the terps in the mix unfortunately. Maybe one day I’ll find the strain that manages to be a whole plant extract at those ratios with the terpenes that help as well. I’ll cultivate that strain until it’s absolutely perfect once I find one close and what environmental conditions create what pheno expressions. Though I assume a supersoil will bring the terps to the max regardless and the ratios will be from stress and the plants reaction to them.

2 Likes

I’m just saying I called it​:rofl: it was in a spot they weren’t looking the whole time :joy:

1 Like

Read something about autism that I thought was interesting the other day
apparently a few very small scale studies have had almost miraculoys results with ‘fecal oral transfer’ thats right, giving autistic kids capsules with a mix of good peoples poo stuffed inside can give the gut flora and fauna a kick start

Up to 50% of the everyday symptoms were said to be drastically reduced or totally gone
If someone finds the studies post them as Im just on for a min

1 Like