Mental health and Cannabis

Hey guys!
I’m pretty new to the entire scene… but I had a quick question.
I suffer from Schizophrenia and DID (disassociative identity disorder). I got diagnosed about a year ago, and after trial and error with big pharma, my therapist told me I should look into medical marijuana, CBD oil, tinctures, etc.
I was wondering if y’all had any experience with strains that could help with the mental issues I’m suffering from, or if you just had any advice for the new kid lol.
I have tried it before, unfortunately I don’t know what it was called and neither does the person I got it from (he grew it from bag seed so it’s hard telling what it was) but it did help A LOT. it stopped an episode right as it started and blew my mind.
I was thinking possibly a high CBD low THC strain.
If anyone has any ideas, advice, or anything of the like… I would really appreciate your input. Anything helps.
Y’all rock. Stay rad. :blush:

8 Likes

Hey and welcome to overgrow. I would not recommend a high thc strain for sure. I think you are correct to stick with only CBD. I would also try to coordinate you usage with the therapists sessions and if you were to use any thc let your therapist know or try to use it before a session.

6 Likes

Thanks! She gave me a small chart to monitor my episodes along with what I’m using. Do you think I should skip the plant all together and just go for the oil? TIA😊

4 Likes

if and only if it is CBD, than yes, I would try oil.

4 Likes

Candida (CD-1) by medical marijuana genetics and Dinamed by Dinafem seeds are both high CBD strains guaranteed to have less than 1% THC. Dinamed is available in an autoflower version which would probably finish quickest. You could also purchase CBD products directly.

4 Likes

Welcome, Fox.

I’m sorry to say that some personal friends of mine inherited their mother’s bipolar schizophrenia. in their mid-20s to early-30s, both showed serious symptoms.
In their case I will personally testify that schizophrenia is the single health condition I would plead with you to use extreme caution & experiment with a safe environment & trusted friend. my gut tells me to tell you to run away from weed as fast as possible, but i am not an expert, just a considerate guy with some first-hand experience, suggesting extra caution.
my (friends) should avoid THC like ebola, i’m afraid.

i lived with them for over a year & had to leave because of the problems that were starting. one was gun-nut alcoholic & little brother was clinical enough to throw a spear at a sherrif. :japanese_ogre:

not a laughing matter, i’m just an ass that has to joke my way through life.

best regards,

c.s

4 Likes

Ask yourself if you are comfortable trying this without someone with you.

Take small quantities until you feel the affect, and relax.

4 Likes

I second that one :mask:

2 Likes

I 3rd 4th and 5th what all the above are saying. Steer well clear of thc. Is it possible to get a cbd vape pen where you are?

1 Like

I honestly didn’t know that you could get vape pens for them. I thought it just came with a bottle and dropper. (I’m new to all this fancyness lol). Is that something I can order online?
Thank you all for your help and honesty. This is the first forum I’ve felt super welcome at and y’all rock :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Where abouts are you in the world? That’s 1 thing we can get in the UK. (Cbd vape pens) are available on the high Street here. I would imagine you would be able to get them shipped anywhere to be honest. If all else fails drop me a pm I’ll get one local and ship it to you myself

1 Like

You are so sweet!
I’m in the US, bouncing back and forth between Arizona, Nevada, and Kentucky for work. I have a vape of my own but I’m a little worried about putting the CBD in a normal pen. Think it might malfunction and I’ve already had some bad luck with it so I don’t think I’ll chance it lol.

1 Like

When in Nevada go to legal shop and ask for a CBD only cartridge. Try and find 0.5 to 1 THC/CBD ratio in an isolate or distillate. There are processes now that remove/inject different portions of the active ingredients when making oils.

Isolate or Distillate CBD. I believe @legalcanada can help you with ordering the right product(s) online?

Have you tried melatonin supplements? Some folks get headaches from it. Best of luck @Fox420

2 Likes

I have not tried the supplements. I know my mom takes them to help her sleep though. I’ll give them a try tonight. Thanks!! :blush:

1 Like

And thanks for the info about the cartridges!! I’m actually headed to Nevada soon. Looking forward to trying it!!

2 Likes

thanks for joining us and sharing openly-- it’s the only way goodwill seems to help us fix things. stay safe & keep us posted when you can. i’ve used cannabis for 20+ years but medically/intentionally for about 5. i’m still searching for some magic, cure-all strain, but don’t know if that’s possible. :slight_smile:

what i wish for us medical users is something like:

• make appt. with weed dr./shaman
  • consult/view/obtain up to 10-15 varieties, medible, tincture, etc.
  • done over period of 4-6 appts., 2 months
  • ability to obtain EXACT clone or inbred seed of the helpful strains
  • i would gladly pay for this, & think others would too.

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

4 Likes

will get quick effects of cannabis by smoking.

@cannabissequoia that business model is genius

Er, thanks. It’s mostly the result of asking myself, “In a perfect scenario, how would this work?/what do i need?”. I believe that Cannabis science is in a state something like astronomy was 500 years ago because of prohibition/criminilzation. Terpene & cannabinoid science info. is helpful but I still can’t select a variety based on a lab report or terpene content, yet.

Seedfinder lists about 12000 strains now, of which I’ve possibly tried as many as 100(no more). Modern varieties/phenotypes seem to nearly all ultimately come from 1970s hybridization, it seems.

[Damn early a.m. wakenbake is trying to thwart my post here.]

So absent any real solid science to work with, I defer to the elder who has tread before me, and here I am at overgrow, learning.

As a business it’s well suited to bleeding the rich & charging the needy nothing, but how many grey market Robin Hoods are out there, & they wisely don’t advertise. Phyew i’m stoned & it’s early & this isn’t very productive. heh

:evergreen_tree: c.s

2 Likes

I am schizo-affective, I find that a loooot of high THC weed makes me paranoid and brings the voices, which to me says that is triggering scizophrenia spectrum episodes.
The medium THC Average CBD strains seems the best but its a bit hit or miss.
I look for 8-14% THC and 4+CBD to get nice effects but thats taken me a while to get to.
I came to the conclusion I need to breed my own strain from some known good strains.
Im looking into CBG recently, Im a believer in the entourage/synergistic effect

Some strains I have found to be good are, Blue dream, bubblegum, afghani, thai, chronic, and most fruity strains
Lemon strains seem to be the most triggering to me, not sure why that would be

@cannabissequoia I agree about the modern hybridzation, my paranoid side tells me the government did some GMO to hurt people but my logical side tells me, breeders selected for large yields/ strong effects and forgot about quality of high.
so lots of landraces that were consumed by the breeders are nice mellow and hybrids are like a hammer as the breeders wern’t consuming their product, so didn’t care. Capitalism FTW

1 Like