Jelly's Cab Adventures

19F

It’s no longer “Cloudy” in my cab lol.

The plants are back in, and probably gonna be like WTF it’s so BRIGHT.
I adjusted the driver to 295w on my kill-a-watt. Funny thing, there’s no noticeable flicker like there was with my cheap power supply. This thing is a beast. 6lbs of efficient power conversion!

Another thing I noticed, There is a LOT less “shadowing” under the plants with my SolStrip Array. Can we say good Penetration?! lol.

15 Likes

How far must we bend?

99%

2 Likes

This is actually very low PPM. Recommended dosage is 4g per gallon. If I were you knowing they are just vegging and small still, bump your dosage up to 2g per gallon.

Last night I fed with 10g of Greenleafs MegaCrop in two gallons, gave me about 1999cm/us ec (which IIRC is 1.999 ec) /999ppm on my meter. The plants seem to love it, they needed water bad last night and perked RIGHT up. It was literally right before my eyes. Plants are fucking amazing! lol.

I remember someone telling me the odd smell of MegaCrop, I can agree, as soon as I cut the pouch, I smelled Poop lol. No other way to describe it, it smelled like manure. However, Like @HydroRed stated, It’s kinda like mixing instant tea, it dissolves quickly. I still had to PH down my mix, but that’s no surprise my tap water is 140ppm and 8.0Ph out the tap.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

2 Likes

Whatcha think @Jellypowered
Pretty good stuff or what so far? (when you get past the smell :mask:)
Your E.C./ppm sounds just right. Greenleaf Nutrients only count for the N-P-K values on the sites ppm number they provide so if you are a bit higher than what it states on the website -no worries. I spoke to the rep about this and he mentioned that they only take into count the N-P-K values and not the other macros and “organic” compounds like kelp etc. My ppm come in around 840 or so (1.7 E.C.) mixed at 5g per gal. Im in my final 10 days or so and am just now experiencing burnt tips (final 2 weeks @ 6g per gal).
Im not even going to correct since I’m just running fresh water top offs from here on out to harvest anyways.

Also, I’m not sure if I mentioned this or not when we spoke on it in another thread, but I do have to pH adjust when I make a new res, but from that point on it does drift up a bit which I welcome with open arms. I usually go about 5.7-6.3 in the full swing inbetween res changes every 2 weeks. I top off with my dehu water which is low at pH 5.0 & under 10 ppm The buffers in Mega Crop are pretty solid. My tap is around 110 and pH of 6.8-7.8 depending on the season.
Your plants are looking very healthy. I love your cab setup. I vegged mommas with the 9W bulbs with diffusers removed also. :+1: Im gonna look through the thread some more and try to get this site figured out a bit more.

3 Likes

I’m digging it so far. I’ve only used it once, but it was very easy to weigh out, mix in with 2 gallons of water, and Ph. I have a feeling it would be amazing in an flood and drain system.

I am still playing with the idea of converting my cab over to flood and drain, but at the same time I’m thinking about just running one or two plants next time, with a scrog setup to see just how much yield I can milk out of it.

I did some more hair cutting.
Before

After

Look at all these bud sites!

And just for fun… Progress.

17 Likes

Why do I torture myself… I made my 5ft tall reservoir stand… I had to take lots of breaks lol. Sturdy enough it’s holding 5 gallons full of water… I’m leak testing my reservoir too lol.

4 Likes

Man… When I’m sick I distract myself with work.

So after seeing that 5 gallons of water 5 foot in the air isn’t leaking… I went ahead and installed my blumats.

They’ve been soaking for a week or two now… I actually had to add water to the container they were in last week lol.

I mixed up 5 gallons of nutes, following recipie for future reference (and I’m forgetful as shit)

20g MaxiCrop
18ml PH down.

This gave me a final measurement of
5.5Ph
850ppm
1.75 EC
res temp at time of mixing 73 degrees F.

Installing the blumats

It’s pretty straight forward…
Blumats work on some kind of magic lol
Pulled from Blumats Website

Edit: Below was my sick rambling, Leaving for content. The Ceramic ball is actually a membrane. Don’t mind me lol.

Installation

• Tighten adjustment valve (brown knob) on the Blumat all the way closed.
  • Jam the lil green/ceramic thing (the blumat) down into the pot, orient the 3mm drip tube so it’s not dripping on a stem.
  • Hook up 8mm black feeder lines (I will be ordering the superflex stuff, the black tubing is stiff and sucks, it wants to retain its shape from shipping)
  • Install 2nd shutoff valve at the end so you can drain air from system.
  • At this point everything should be hooked up and valves are closed at the moment.

Priming the System

Open res shutoff valve. When I did I could actually hear the water flow for half a second.
Have a container for 2nd shutoff valve to catch water.
Open 2nd valve slowly, until you have a steady stream, should only take a second or two. Close 2nd valve.
Your system is now primed!

Setting your blumats for optimal moisture level

• Ideally, you install the blumat Tropf in your pots when they are at the moisture level you’d like to maintain. (It’s recommended to water heavy, wait 24hrs then install)

I just watered last night, not “heavy” but enough so when I was done watering the drip tray was full. Tonight when I installed my blumats the tray was dry. Thanks winter.

• You want to turn the adjustment valve open enough to get water out of the 3 mm drip line. I figured there would still be some air in the system so I opened mine and let it run for 10 seconds or so.
  • Once your satisfied there is no air in the system, slowly close the adjustment valve (brown thing on top) until the end of your 3mm tube will “hold” a drop of water.

I didn’t feel like waiting for 15 minutes to see if it dripped, for the first night i’m going with just a bit more aggressive watering. I have it adjusted to where a drop every 30 seconds or so is going right now. Tomorrow at lights on, I’ll check moisture and adjust accordingly.

Afterthoughts

• 2nd Shutoff Valve is good for checking res PPM/PH without moving res.
  • Reserved for more musings. :slight_smile:
  • I edit way too much.
12 Likes

Good thing your not doing no-till with those bumats, you wouldn’t have anything left to do in the garden. :grin:

4 Likes

Haha, Today i’ve had plenty to do. I’ve been constantly fucking with the flow of the blumats… I’m just playing with it, it’s working fine I just want it to get a little wetter.

But if I went No-till wouldn’t i still have teas and such to do?

Oh, Just noticed I made “regular” yaaaaay lol.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of just using a Sonoff Switch to control the feeding. Turn a pump on every or every other day for a short time. Stuff to work out but it seems fairly simple. I mean, they say you can’t over water coco…

1 Like

So, I had to google what the sonoff switch was, but that’s freaking cool. It seems to be able to be programmed over wifi, then I guess it carries out whatever you program it to do? seems like I need some of these. Could be a much better alternative to expensive cycle timers.

If you wanna take my advice, or are at least open to suggestions, here’s how i’d do it.

Figure out how many seconds it takes to pump out a normal watering worth, just for shits and giggles, lets assume you have a small weakly pump and say it takes a full minute to get a full watering out.
Set the sonoff (if possible, this isn’t my lane yet, I’ll have to order some to play with them) to water 15 seconds every 6 hours.

I have observed on several posts and from now my personal experience, that especially in coco, smaller, more frequent waterings charge the medium with more oxygen, promoting faster growth.

As far as not being able to over-water coco? Well, I have some thoughts on that. If you have all finely ground coco, you can absolutely overwater, especially if you aren’t running in something like a smart pot. If you are running adequate perlite/coco ratio, providing the coco with the ability to drain as it’s naturally predisposed to do, then no, no such thing as over-watering.

1 Like

I’m going to be running a large percentage of coco chips so it seems to drain fairly quick. But for me that’s the fun of this, figuring out what works for a given situation. Not sure if the sonoff device will actually be the right thing for feeding as its resolution is only full minutes. I’ll have test it when I have my pump and see how that works.

2 Likes

On my quick google search last night, it appears there are many custom firmwares out there available. Perhaps one of these has a more “cycle timer” like resolution for on/off.

Congrats on making regular. I appreciate your contributions to this site.

If I were doing no-till with Blumats, I would still apply teas and such watered in from the top. The blumats will shut off until they are needed again. I would have a schedule something like this:

Day 1: malted barley, fulvic, and silica
Day 2: nothing
Day 3: water (nothing with Blumats)
Day 4: nothing
Day 5: aloe, coconut, and silica tea
Day 6: nothing
Day 7: water (nothing with Blumats)
Day 8: nothing

Once a week: IPM spray
Once a month: Neem and kelp tea

see, a lot of nothing with the Blumats.

5 Likes

I may not have all the answers, but my google fu is strong. I’ll help wherever I can.

I may not be the best grower, but i’m willing to learn from my Sensei here at OG and spread that knowledge.
Edit: side note: Interestingly enough I was looking for the plural form of Sensei and learned that the japanese don’t pluralize anything by adding “s” to the end of their words. So just for clarification I consider all you guys for the position lol.

I had been looking for a forum/site to call home for a long time, the community here is what is exactly what I was after. I’ve got forums for welding, metal casting, electronics, it was about time I found one for my favorite hobby lol. Great people here. If it ever becomes nationally legal, I’d love to host a get together for like a week some day. The ozarks has a lot of beautiful scenery and fishing/hunting/hiking to partake of. I’m making friends here from many walks of life and would love to share my stomping grounds.

Probably the only thing keeping me from going No-till is the time requirements. I’m often on the road for up to a week at a time and that probably isn’t going to change any time soon, coco/blumats just seemed like a viable solution to me. Wifey has a hard enough time keeping track of her own stuff, I couldn’t ask her to keep up with a demanding watering/tea schedule lol.

4 Likes

I know a lot of people do coco drain to waste for those same reasons. Nothing wrong with it, I do enjoy the time with my girls. :grin: :green_heart:

3 Likes

Happy new year jelly I’m upping my dose but the rate I used has been working been following chaos hunters lead but I’m up to kicking things up a notch as I’m getting my tents (heat issues) figured out & programming

1 Like

Today is 21F

The plants are noticeably bulking up!!! The SSH on the right even is starting to get frosty! I’m SO EXCITED lol.

Frosty

This is “Terry” the bagseed. Producing nice looking nugs so far.

The other SSH. (Left side of cab) had a visitor. Probably going to starve to death because there aren’t any gnats to munch on.

And this is the Auto. Everything is moving along well. I can say for sure, while the “Driverless cobs” do work, they don’t have the output that the same wattage in 9w LED bulbs do.

14 Likes

Bro, I’m about three hours north of the Ozarks lol

2 Likes

Badass! It’s a great place lol

2 Likes