Autoflower pot size

So I’ve been running autoflowers here lately and I feel my 3gal fabric pots are just way too small. My cinderevil’s pot feels like a cement brick and about to explode. Definitely going up in size. What everyone using? I think 5gal maybe still too small. I have 1 7gal but its wider than my 5gal. Think if rather have taller than wider.

4 Likes

Why not both LoL…
YOFO (you only flower once)

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer but interested to find out too.

Roughly how long do you think to harvest?

I’d guess 3G to 5G would get you 3(ish) weeks (40% inc in volume)
3G to 7G (220% inc in volume) would get… maybe 2~3 months
…(YMMV)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

450ml and around 900ml are my normal sizes lol

4 Likes

Are you referring to veg time?

1 Like

My thought is that my plants dont get enough veg time before they feel like they need to switch to flowering. Deeper/bigger pots will allow for more veg growth before they feel like switching? Taproot theroy?

3 Likes

I’d like to know this too…

1 Like

I thought 3gal was enough… thinking I’m wrong…

2 Likes

Depends on the plant, I’ve got 2 autos that are 5ft tall in 3 gals and keeping up with watering is a pain in the ass. I’ve got a much smaller auto in a 3 gallon and it’s fine.

4 Likes

Veg and flower. With soil I look at the volume and calculate percentage increase (it’s a rough 1st order calculation & it’s not exactly linear :nerd_face:)

They do like deeper pots, a couple folks are using rose bush nursery pots (hard to find here). Most of the cloth pots don’t get any taller than 12" or so.
I’ve been thinking about that issue as well.

Something you might find interesting, I ran across a YouTube 'cast with Leighton Morrison talking about (and demonstrating) a “Horizontal Soil System”
Using a 30Gal pot, and building E, A & O layers in the pot in a 1:2:4 ratio.
The E (eluvial) was crushed gravel and sand. He said that that configuration satisfied the tap root finding water.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Might have to break out the sewing machine and put (2) 3gals together.

2 Likes

Yeah, the odensons I grew were almost 4ft, cant remember what pot size i had them in…

2 Likes

Many auto grower are switching to 5 and sometimes 7 gallon pots.

1 Like

We use 5 and 7 gallon

1 Like

Once my current run is over, I’m gonna run an auto in an Earthbox. Seems like a no brainer. Plenty of soil to stretch out, and an underground water reservoir for the tap root and anything else that reaches down that far. My photos in the earthboxes are killing it and I wanna see what CannaCheese can do it one.

5 Likes