Baker 4 RIP Jake Phelps!!! Kader & TFunk parts

I wanted to put this in another thread because of the songs, New York Dolls “Seven Day Weekend” and the Stones “Shine a Light”, but this deserves its own because the Kader part is kind of a tearjerker and TFunk is insane. RIP Jake Phelps :eyeglasses: Still watchin!
1 Like

Dude! That Kader part is sick and TFunks wallride shove out was a thing of beauty. Also, happy to see Greco still kickin around

Edit: out of the loop is that Dustin Dollin or Greco? Either way cool parts

It’s Dustin Dollin! You have to check Leo Romero’s part in “Programming Injection” and Tommy Sandoval in “Damn it All” which both came out within the last few months. Baker 4 Life! Oh! I almost forgot this Sammy Baca part in Baker 4. Tell me you don’t want to stand up and clap after that one.

1 Like

Love his style! Super cool to get the kids involved too. I bought my daughter a skateboard when she was 3. She tried it out, wasn’t for her and got shelved for a scooter which low key broke my heart but a couple years later she is coming around. Mostly she just rides on her bottom around the house, but she told me the other day she wants to ride when the weather is better so I’m a proud papa. Weather just got better so it’s on

1 Like

The ladies are more gnarly than ever. A whole group of young ladies like Stella Reynolds, Andrew’s daughter, Brighton Zeuner, Maya Duran and of course Nora Vasconcellos have great videos out right now. Check out Stella, she skates transition/park and is about 12-13 now but has some going back to maybe your daughter’s age. Nora’s part in the last Welcome Skateboards video is really entertaining.

1 Like

I watched a little street league men’s and women’s and the whole time my mind was blown that all these tricks that would be Enders in videos I watched growing up were just being thrown down with ease and consistency. These kids are crazy

1 Like

One of my clients just randomly dropped on me that he knows Steve Cab and a bunch of other dudes, grew up in SoCal and was in that first generation of pool riders. He said he was one place away in a comp to be on Powell Perslta came in 3rd and ended up on their AM flow team. He said he was the first person to backside tailslide a pool. He said that was his bread and butter. It blew my mind

Oh shit. Caballero is a hero to all of us. Who was this? Because he probably ended up going pro with another company at the time like G&S or Santa Cruz. You were probably talking to a legend like Ben Schroeder or Lance Mountain! Whoever it was, first backside tail on anything is legendary. Lucero?!? No, he was street. Rune Glifberg? Salba would be older. Hmmmmm.

He never went pro. PMed you his name just in case you were around and knew of him not trying to spread his story as he was very humble about it almost like he thought I wouldn’t be impressed. I told him he was a legend just for being there and living it.

Watched both those parts. Leo Romero’s part was not only great skateboarding, the editing on that part was perfect. Tommy Sandoval’s part has that mid to late 90’s rough feel that I love. Just banging everything down with intent. I cut my teeth on Welcome to Hell and Misled Youth. We passed those tapes around

1 Like

The name sounds kind of familiar, it’s possible they talked about him in an episode of Jeff Grosso’s (another RIP) Loveletters to Skateboarding, (80’s contests episode maybe) but I haven’t found it yet. You also HAVE TO look up The Nine Club on YouTube. The absolute best skateboarder interview show without a doubt. The Mike V episode is amazing. It’s good to have a skateboard buddy here. Even though if I could land a nollie heel on flatground now, I would run around like Kader.

2 Likes