Can you still land a kick flip?

Growing up some of my greatest memories were skating the parks and ripping the streets with my buddies. Lots of great memories sitting on boards and passing doobs. Recently I grabbed a board and started at it. 18 years later and I can still bust a kick flip. Anyone else still skate or skated back in the day?

28 Likes

Back in the day yes. Now… no.

But this summer I did a really awesome ollie up the curb into a hand plant into a faceplant into my backs fucked help me into the house. I’m not going to teach the kiddo how to skateboard anymore the gods spoke clearly. :joy:

He can learn the way I did off neighbourhood skaterats :grin:

11 Likes

Hahaha… awesome. I wrenched my back yesterday. Can’t believe I even made the post hahaha… my wife constantly catches me doing stuff I probably shouldn’t be. She close to thinking I’m a complete idiot hahaha her sympathy for when I’m injured is low for sure haha

14 Likes

I longboard all over town blazed, then proceed to get more blazed. I still have my skateboard from my early twenties, every now and then I’ll bust a Ollie and kick flip, my favorite trick to do is a big spin or three city flips. Sorry if im rambling but skating has been a part of my life, as a means to get around, and a way of life. I remember when we would live at the parks, then a ton of street skating schools and stair sets, rails were fun, but they hurt ha. We had a mini pipe at the house when I was 14. Skating is the shit! But now its funny when a kid asks you how old you are, and you reply, then bust a nollie and it blows their mind ha. I think my deck is a atm blank 7.5 with destructo trucks and some wheels. My cruiser is a pintail sector nine Irish edition. Awesome ride.

11 Likes

Haha I was just trying to teach him how to ollie so as not to get thrown going up those curb ramps (you know the ramps with an edge just enough an 8yr old hits it and goes flying).

Little did I know the tricks I was about to show him :rofl:

I kinda wish I had my old boards… Apparently they’re worth something now. :man_facepalming:
$_1
I had this one forever - my brother had almost the same in white (pretty sure it had square sides though)

16 Likes

If I tried long enough I suspect I could. But I put those days behind me. I started skating again, but just cruising around on the longboard. I don’t want to hurt myself, or my knees, ankles, etc.

It is so much damn fun though. I roll a little blunt and I go skate around in empty parking lots at night with my headphones in.

9 Likes

I have one of my dads boards, check her out lol

22 Likes

Awesome man, I like to do the same.

6 Likes

Discovered I am not suited for that anymore, reaction time is way down, discovered it falling down a ladder. Suddenly finding yourself on the ground just didn’t happen 20y ago.
Did do a nice roll off the wood pile but that last bit to the ground was rough.
Way back there would have been so much “time” to maneuver and land on my feet instead of thumping on my side and tearing a ligament in my knee.

7 Likes

Skateboarded in the 70s and 80s .Got on one a couple years ago did a 540 and then did the forearm road rash.At my age i will leave the skateboarding to the young pups lol

8 Likes

1 day of my life I could do a 180 front side or backside. Never again lol. Besides that we used to just roll around getting high

6 Likes

Hell yeah I can and my 5 year old daughter rides like a natural. No mongo here :joy:. We have some storm drains in the neighborhood with smooth metal edges, been practicing some grinds. It’s funny the looks I get but I deserve them. Ate shit doing a no comply in front of an old lady gardening the other day. Another guy, who looked like he may not move a lot, told me I was too old to be skateboarding. I told him if I stop I will eventually look like him. Had a bit of a rebellious streak lately. 1/3 life crisis.

14 Likes

Yeah my backs fucked up because of skating. But maybe its fucked up because I quit. Anyone remember the shitty element boards always spliting and cracking the board when they got away from you. Worst reputation for boards beside maple. Anyone remember CCS. It was like the sears catalog for stoners. But yeah I can still do a kick flip.

10 Likes

At 13 my friends and I started dabbling in marijuana and were labeled the stoners on skateboards…whatever… by grade 9 we were almost full blown stoners and had a reputation of getting high all the time. In gym class, they had what’s known as a beep test. Run line to line on the basketball court, but you have to touch the line before the beep or you’re out. Everyone was making fun of us because we were gonna be out first because smoking is bad. By the end of the test who was left?..the stoner skaters. 8 hours of powering around the city a day gave us an edge…who knew.
Oh gosh…I can relate to so many of these stories. From age 12 to about 20, skating was life. Some tricks I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to do when I’m old as eff…popshuvit and the non-comply impossible…the NCI looks cool, but is super easy and relatively safe compared to board flips or even kick flips…it wows the neighbourhood little shits

10 Likes

Had a few friends that skated back in the day, never found it fun myself probably because the first time ever on a board I tried my buddies half pipe. Didn’t work out well for me so I stuck with riding bulls, at least I knew they were gonna try and kill me lol

8 Likes

Yeah, skated all the time back in the day. Then got my drivers license and it all stopped. Then I lost my license and busted out the skateboard again. Was great for about 2 hours of commuting until it split into 3 pieces when i came off a drop landed on it. It was worse for wear when I decommissioned it prior so not surprising. Since then I have broken my back so riding a skate board is not advisable. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I still got it at age 30 :stuck_out_tongue: Me and the room mate were playing a bunch of a skateboarding game called session last winter. When the snow was still around it got us craving to skateboard. He did bmx growing up so was new to skateboarding but I was on and off since I was a kid. We went out skating at night a few times, was really fun. Had some plans for the summer but he went out to skate after staying up all night and seriously broke his ankle doing of all things:dropping in. Didn’t know it was even possible doing that. He had to get screws and metal in his leg and was down and out for 3 months.

Skateboarding and weed back in the day were an awesome combo. I am the most loathed kind of skater in the community, goofy,mongo :crazy_face: if I have the time maybe I’ll take a quick vid doing said kickflip or die trying.

7 Likes

I was gonna try that with my non-comply impossible. Lol… OG Skate video compilation coming?

6 Likes

I definitely, 100%, still cannot land a kickflip :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

No kickflips anymore. Fatty here is lucky to hit a pop shove-it these days.

8 Likes