Ballast life expectancy

We all know lamp life expectancies, but what about ballasts?
Spent way too long looking for T5HO ballast life expectancies so might as well throw the question up while I search. How often should a (T5HO) ballast be replaced? The only source I’ve found thus far is an off-brand ballast that claims 20,000-30,000 hours.
I’ll compile what I find, here.

2 Likes

Quality ballasts usually come with a lifetime warranty.

Heat is the biggest enemy of a fluro ballast.

I had 3 Fullham Workhorse 8 (120-L is 220w) ballasts, each running their max wattage with nothing but a oscillating fan in the room and they worked for many long hours for me. (24/7 for at least 2 years) and they are still goin strong.

I hear ballasts draw more power as they start to go bad, might be a good idea to monitor the power consumption if you’re worried about life expectancy.

Well I have a t5ho that needs new bulbs, and new ballasts are relatively cheap. If it’s still running above 90% of a new fixture it would be a waste of money to replace the ballast. If it’s lost more than ten percent of its original efficiency though, it’s more cost effective to place new lamps in a new ballast.

(And my ass is broke, so little decisions like that really make a difference.)

1 Like

Dude I feel ya. If you don’t mind adding wire to ballasts, I got 3 Fulham workhorse 8’s (capable of 220w each ballast)

Fullham Workhorse 8 120-L

If you want em, PM me and we can work something out. (If you’re in US, I can’t justify shipping overseas lol)

1 Like