Basic everyday shit you can find around the house to add to your plants

I don’t know anything about science since I dropped out of high school when I was in 15

but I’ve tried this UNSUCCESSFULLY:

taking a small bit of soda (for caffeine) and putting it into a mason jar with tap water (to disperse bubbles, I like to believe, and don’t troll me, it makes it less acidic), and added it to my plant, which killed it almost in 3 days lol

any approved stuff? like stuff that’d help, and not kill your plants?

3 Likes

Small amounts of molasses, litfa , google

5 Likes

Just buy actual fertilizer. Don’t half-ass it.

3 Likes

LITFA … plus a few more wasted chars

3 Likes

nothing I can make in the kitchen? like some kind of vegetable soup?

2 Likes

No you need actual fertilizer.

Shit you find in the kitchen won’t grow good product.

3 Likes

IF I STAND CORRECTED, bottled and dried nutrients are complex, but not as something freshly made in a kitchen or concocted on the spot, like organic nutes

1 Like

: )

8 Likes

Spent coffee grounds is a good source of nitrogen BUT it’s not instantly available to the plant to use. It would likely be better added to a super soil.

5 Likes

I dump shit tons of coffee grinds in my compost and flower beds, great stuff does wonders to clay souls.

8 Likes

One thing you could do would be to make a worm bin and put all your veggie scraps, coffee grinds, lawn clippings in it with some soil. Once it has had a couple weeks for the worms to do there thing you can put it in a burlap sac, hang in the air with a bucket under it, pour water threw the top of the bag and the water that pours out and into the bucket will be nutrient rich, if you want to take it one step further you could then add air stones to the bucket with some molasses and let it brew for 24 hours. This will result in a very nice compost type tea.

Now you should also consider just spending like $10 dollers on a box of good organic all purpose grow nutrient. Something like doctor earth is pretty cheap and far better then what most people can concoct on there own. Brewing compost teas from home based ingredients can have great results but you can also breed some very bad bacteria that could harm you or your plants. I would at least recommend doing some research and being able to check the pH of your mixes especially if home brewed.

3 Likes

Yeah it helps improve drainage so adding it to soil with a high clay content will help a lot. My local supermarket has a cafe that gives the remnants away for free so I often pick up a bag if I’m passing to add to my compost pile.

2 Likes

I agree. Buy quality nutrients.

No way around it.

However - I do make my own calmag out of eggshells but when I use commercial products properly I very rarely have the need to use it.

1 Like

Like @ifish said, KNF uses everyday stuff from around the house. I’ve done grows with it and an organic soil. You can start by using the rice wash (leftover water when you rinse your rice) to capture some bacteria. Then you can use that along with some milk to make a lactobacillus serum. This can then be used with molasses to ferment all kinds of stuff to make plant available nutrients, I like fish for veg and banana, squash, papaya for flowering. You can even do garlic and peppers for an IPM.

As @Heritagefarms suggested, make a worm bin. Worm castings are straight magic. I feed my worms mostly coffee grounds, cannabis leaves, and newspaper. I simply top dress with the castings and water it in.

And like @Foreigner said, you can make a calcium supplement with egg shells and vinigar.

At my local Whole Foods I’ve found aloe vera leaves, young coconuts, and malted grains. All which can be used as fertilizer. Heck, I’ve even used popcorn and sprouted it into a tea.

I really got into making my own nutrients for a bit. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Keep the carrots, celery, salad out of your pots unless it’s rotted and you have worms in your pot!l lol

1 Like

Add a bunch of coffee grounds to your dirt and see how awful the fungus gnats get. This is nuts.

Use regular fertilizer, KNF is a cult.

@mysterious_stranger who cares about “complexity”? Fertilizer is basic technology. You only need about 13 elements, fertilizer provides some or all of them, depending. Get one that provides all of them. They’re readily available and cheap. $20 bottle of Dyna Grow will last you a long time.

1 Like

That’s funny as hell had I had coffee in my mouth more than likely it would of been sprayed out!

2 Likes

Dudes have a closet full of weird mason jars rotting and fermenting, sickly plants that would prefer to be fed stuff besides bacteria and vinegar, telling me the way I grow doesn’t have the right vibes.

2 Likes

The vegetable soup gave my a chuckle for sure also!

You can use urine or hair.

1 Like