Beginning grower needing some advice on equipment

The 4 x 8 tent was running around 82 degrees constantly and would raise to the 90’s sometimes when things shut down. Started leaving the exhaust fan on but 80’s would stay for a while. The 600 watt HPS was not running through an air cooled hood. I also didn’t feel the tent was set up the most efficient way.

Before:

Removed the 600 watt HPS. Centered the LED light. Added a small cheap LED for a couple of the extra plants on the side. Moved the exhaust system to the back wall of the tent and vented it through the top instead of the side. This brought the temperature down to 77 degrees. The RH is 48% I will be adding another larger LED to the big tent.

Now

I moved the 600 watt to the 4 x 4 tent replacing the 400 watt and used the air cooled hood. This raised the temperature in there from 75 to 78 degrees. Moved the duct work from the side to the top also. Eventually I will replace the HPS with a LED.

5 Likes

I was able to pick up another LED today off Craigslist for the big tent for $250. It is an HLG 550. The big tent is pretty set now.

6 Likes

That’s a steal . I have the HLG 550 v2 and I love it .

Thanks. I am pretty happy with it. Feel really lucky how things are coming together.

1 Like

Cool thread. I’m feeling inspired to finally get off my lazy butt and get my closet put together. I’ve had a solstrip light sitting here for a couple weeks and haven’t even put it together. Its hard to believe how lazy I can get sometimes.
I have also never grown inside. Are there many advantages in a tent over a closet? humidity and smell I imagine.

Depends on how many plants you are growing and what strain. Some put off more odor then others in flower with smell and humidity. I prefer a tent over the closet for the versatility they give. However, if you do not have the room for a tent or for stealth, closet is great.

The Covid lock down has made us all a little lazy. Think it just comes from the depression this stuff brings in my opinion.

Looking forward to see yours put together and your grow.

Glad to see everything going good
:+1:

1 Like

I think I’ll do the closet for now as a starter kit. Its only 3x5. then maybe turn that into a vegging closet and get a bigger tent down the road for flowering.
I am certain depression has a ton to do with it. Growing things helps with that.
anyway, Good luck with your new setup. I’ll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

2 Likes

The closet sounds like a great way to start. I would definitely keep an eye on Craigslist and other resale places. There are great deals on tents and other stuff out there.

Growing has helped me during these times. Helps you refocus your attention.

I look forward to seeing your closet when it is up and running.

2 Likes

I was looking on Craigslist for a friend to find a tent. I go lucky and found all this for $40 for me. Bucket, submersible and air pump. accessories for both (Sprayer and Air Stone). The box is full of brand new rockwool. I just started trying cloning. :grinning:

5 Likes

@Old-Ron I must say you really do find some good deals . :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks @Floyd. I get pretty lucky when it comes to equipment.

4 Likes

Well I made myself a cheap seedling rack. Got the shelf for $5 from the thrift store. The light I had, it was a gift. Added some zip ties to hold it. I love zip ties.

6 Likes

Two things I do not know how I grew without back in the day… zip ties and those ratchet hangers.

Let the seedlings begin!

3 Likes

Zip ties are the shit…lol

3 Likes

Yeah I used to skimp on buying them as they were expensive. Now they are a little cheaper but I just dont care anymore. Buy bag after bag of them whenever I am at the hardware store because they make life so much easier.

3 Likes

Zip ties are awesome. I use them for all kinds of grow applications.

3 Likes

Various sizes and strengths. They have come a long way from the early days.

2 Likes

Yeah back before I broke my back I managed construction crews building power stations. I would buy all the electrical based products required for the entire power station including its own facilities. Oh boy the cables ties. Everything from 1 meter stainless steel with special applicators down to tiny control wire ties. I would spend 10s of thousands of dollars just on the nylon cable ties of varying sizes just for one power station. You can get quite skilled of hand with them when you have applied thousands upon thousands of them. I dont want to know what the world did before we had them.

1 Like

PS: … and that was 10s of thousands of dollars 20 years ago. Something like around 70 grand today.