Best container for indoor soil

Just using plastic grow bags right now, they’re working fine but I know they’re not optimal, they were just really affordable. Looking to switch up next time and I’m not sure if I should go fabric or air pots.

8 Likes

I like fabric pots. They wash up easy and store well when not in use. :+1::seedling:

14 Likes

Yep, +1 for the fabric pots :+1:

Airpots aren’t as wide as the fabric pot so therefore your plants sit higher up. Could be an issue for those with height constraints, just something to keep in mind.

5 Likes

I like the rigid plastic pots. The thick kind that doesn’t give at all.

I’ve got a half dozen and I’ve been reusing them for a long time.

Lots of good options, it’s a matter of taste.

9 Likes

have used : plactic, fabric, and air pots perfer the air pots ove the 3 I tried. The have a new pot out called (for get the name) but it "air grows " root keeping the bag 1 inch above the floor (you hang them) will get the info on - interesting – remember that 5 - 5 gallon bags cost is$15.00 ( they also have grow rooms)

I’ve been wrestling around with this for a while now, both size and type.

I’ve recently read BOG’s ‘Bonanza of Green’ where he identifies using 1 Qt, 2 Gal, & 4~5 Gal as his ideal sizes (all plastic).
I found this is a very interesting guide. So much so, I’m going to modify my protocols to be more in-line with BOG’s and see how it goes. Right now I’m hunting for a deep 2 Gal plastic pot to standardize on.

The latest cloth pot I’m going to try is Grass Roots fabric pot with moisture liner. This reduces the breathable section to the bottom 4 inches which I think will be an improvement over standard cloth pots.

https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/living-soil-pots-and-beds/

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I’m gonna be sticking with 1-2 gallon I think. I really like the sog method so far, feels like a good way to maximize my space.

3 Likes

I have been using fabric pots for 7 years or so, I love them. I use the 3 gallon size.

4 Likes

My SOG-style 1 gallon plastic pot grows have been the easiest in terms of setup, upkeep, and trimming. Really easy to bottom water and they seem to retain moisture and don’t make the space as humid as the fabric pots do after watering (or at least it seems that way to me). In conjunction with the 12/12 from seed method, the plastic pots give me great results with minimal effort. All the 1 gallons were free as well, just go for a morning walk on garbage day during late spring/early summer.

I also have some fabric pots, mostly 3 gallons. Can’t say anything bad about them, except I would prefer taller and more narrow dimensions to better arrange and maximize my space.

1 Like

Well, how do they taste?

5 Likes

I like the fabric pots also! I notice a huge difference going from hard plastic pot to fabric pot. The plants always seem To like them, I would imagine it allows the soil to breathe / ventilate better.

The one inconvenient thing about fabric is the bottoms stay wet for a while , and it’s not always convenient to keepthe drain pans under them.

2 Likes

You’ve got to brown them off in a frying pan first but mostly they taste like liquid polymer.

Delicious.

4 Likes

Personally, this is where I am with pots. I live in a very arid climate, and the fabric pots lose water too quickly. So I lined the upper edges with a little visqueen to slow evaporation. I’ve also used the lined grass roots pots, and they work well too.

1 Like

Will these still prune the roots like the all fabric ones?

1 Like

I am using 7gal vivosun fabric pots. I like the handles so I can drag them around, but the plants are about the same size as me, so… necessary! . I’ve used some of these for everything, have basil, tomatoes, a lemon and lome tree al flourishing in them.

4 Likes

Yes, but it will allow better moisture retention is the upper half (my working hypothesis :laughing:).
I’ll do an ‘A’ vs ‘B’ comparison in the winter grow, we will see if it is worth the extra bucks or not. I have a few other ‘things’ I’ll try out and document as well.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I just ordered some. They had a flat rate shipping. It was the same if I got 1 or 10. So that is what I did. It made the 3gal. $6.52 each out the door.

How are you hanging the fabric pots?

I’ve been using Vivosun bags, inside and outside for veggies and cannabis. Never going back to plastic if I can help it.

4 Likes

there are fabric handels on bags then one must use “pulley;s” like the one used to raise lights thenraise them 1-1/2 inch off the ground - == increased space a bottom improves rooting ----- I have airports which in my mine are the same - do you want the name of the copmpany ?

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the honor grow bags are the shit. I just bought an 8gal that I’m going to do my next run in, pricey but worth it I think.

1 Like