Fabric Pot,Cheap Alternative

Getting back into growing after being away for years.I found a lot had changed.New strains,LED lighting and Fabric Pots to name a few.Reading about fabric pots i was intrigued and found 20 1gal pots for $25 not a bad deal.However moving up to 5gal fabric pots the price jumped to almost $4 or more a pot.Well one day I am in Dollarama at the self check out and they have 2 sizes of fabric bags.The small bag for 25cents makes a perfect 5gal pot.The large bag for 35cents is a 10gal pot.I deceided what the hell grab a few and try them.The bag is slightly thinner than the fabric pots i bought so I double the 5 gal bag up for a cost of 50cents.

I had a little fun with their saying “remember me next time you shop”

The auto Northern Light seems to be thriving in it.Works just as good as my fabric pots.I now know that a single bag at a cost of 25cents for a 5gal pot will work fine and did not need to double up.Still doubled up its only 50cents,I will double up the large bags for 10gal pots at a cost of 70cents.Well i went back to dollarama and the sales lady was preplexed as i bought 40 of the 5gal equivelant bags at a cost of $10 and asked when they would have more.So if your looking for a cheap alternative to the high cost of a fabric pot and you have a Dollorama near you,give them a try.When the plants are done i will pull them and post a pic of the rootball for all to see.

22 Likes

Great idea. My only worry is if the color and writing on the bags may leech some not so great things?

1 Like

@Greenhighlander I put them in the washing machine on hot water when i got them with a white sock and had no fabric color leeching on the sock.

8 Likes

Great idea! Keep us posted!

4 Likes

And the water run off is coming out clear from the bags.The black fabric pots are dyed to.Just wash them when you get them home and your good to go.

4 Likes

Hey Moogie how ya doing bro? Will do.So far i am impressed with the way the bags are performing.Going to be doing my 4 auto seed runs in them.Be intresting to see the rootball when the auto N.L is done

3 Likes

I would not trust picking the 10 gal ones up by the handles when the soil is wet and heavy. I use these bags for grocery shopping they tear very easily, so long as your careful they should last while, doubling up is a good idea,:+1:

Dollorama also do a real15 gal fabric pot for a couple of $ but they are wide and low.

I get my fabric pots from China they only cost a couple of bucks each. Don’t take long to get here being very light in weight.

3 Likes

Hey Shadey
Being dollarama thats why i doubled them up.I also rolled the tops over and pick them up that way as i do not trust the handles.Just wanted to let folks on a tight budget know there are cheap alternatives to the fabric pots if they want to try them out.I have a bunch of vivosun fabric pots and also been using square black inner white outer lined poly bags that been working great too.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a good idea for cheap pots on a budget, I am always on a cheap budget lol.

I have to move my pots 25ft from my veg room to my flower room, the handles don’t last long on the 10 gal pots, they get pretty heavy, ruined a few plants dropping them when the handles snap.

I am looking for cheap bowls or trays atm something around 16 inches in diameter, I am tired of having them sit in plastic bags to stop them leaking on the floor after watering. The biggest dollorama have is 14 inches :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Ive used fabric pots since i started but recently i decided to take advice from a friend who ran warehouses. He turned me to these plastic nursery bags. 1-5 gallon sixlzes are like $10 for 50 bags. They are black inside white outside and i havent torn one yet. The ones i got were vivosun 2 gallon. I got tired of washing fabric pots by the dozens. I just use these n throw em away now. Cheaper n easier.

2 Likes

Online. Order dog crate pans. Many sizes order to your area. I found a 4x4 drain tray made by a grow co can cost $200+
Ive found 4x4 hard plastic dog trays for $12. As far as moving youd want rollers ,plant dollies. But they only help if its a smooth path from point a to point b

6 Likes

great idea - thinking outside the box - I like that

2 Likes

It’s not just about finding the cheapest growing vessel, There’s benefits to growing in a breathable fabric material.

3 Likes

@Shadey lol Tim Hortons has xtra large plastic clear bags for take out donuts and coffee box. They fit great over the 5gal pots…What about the bottom tray of a plastic dishrack.That may be big enough.

1 Like

@rooted

I have 50 of the 1,3 an 5gal…I like them they work well.I have 44 plants in them now.40 of the dollar store bags is 10bucks to for the 5gal size and gives you the bonus of being an airpot.you can wash them or chuck them when done…When i grew in the swamps i use to buy 120l bags of super premium promix,would cut the bag in half punch holes in both ends and use them as 60l grow bags for my plants.the roots blew out the bottom into the dark rich moist swamp soil.Lots of things can work with a little creativity.

4 Likes

Walmart have a bowl that’s close for $4 each its about and inch to small but might be able to cram a pot in it.

White bin bags from costco fit perfectly on a 10 gal but dont last long if you move the plants about a lot.

1 Like

Its all about whats cheap and works…I will keep my eyes open for anything cheap that may work as a catch mat.

1 Like

Yup thats the ones. I was skeptical cause i like my fabric but for the cost difference ill be running plastic bags. No destroying washing machine or handwashing pots.

1 Like

Yeah i know tgis but i havent seen much difference. Personally i love coco n fabric with multiple fluid exchanges daily. but hate cleaning the pots.

Hey friend, got a link to those 4x4 dog trays? I can’t seem to find any that big. Biggest/cheapest I see is 47x30 for $30 delivered, but that odd size won’t work.

2 Likes