Fabric grow bags/planters

What brand of fabric grow bags do you use/ recommend? What brand do you feel is the sturdiest if not the previous answer?

1 Like

On my 3rd year with mine from gardzenonline.com

Prices are reasonable and don’t just rot out even in the extreme az sun and heat and somehow purchases don’t charge tax

I have noticed anything over 25 gallon when filled with soil can rip if trying to grab the handles and move em with all the weight, just fine if u place and fill though

The pic they have on their garden container sections is actually a pic of my tomato garden from 2 years ago, sent it in for promotional in trade for gear, nora has been nothing short of awesome to work with

They also got a lot of other cool items like pop up green houses, seed starter trays, and hoop house kits and it’s all reasonably priced!

3 Likes

I can tell you of an effective grow bag, a cheap grow bag, and, I feel, they last well also. True i did only get 3 grows out of the last one i threw away, but it sat out in the sun for a month or two before I got back to cleaning them out. It a Reuseable Walmart shopping bag! I think they are now $0.75 and $1.50, plain vs decorated.
Don’t believe me? It’s OK, I have proof.

Almost all of mine are bagged before the flip, autos get a week in their solos then into the bag. They Hold about 6 gallons of media. Just throwing a cheap option out there. Are they as durable as the thick felt pots? No, but they’re a dollar! And still work 3-5+ times each. Out of a “Grow-cery” bag!

7 Likes

Are they food safe ?

4 Likes

All I can claim is that I have seen no ill effects. I wash them in the laundry before each use (including the first one) And I’ve never seen colors run, my weed don’t look weird, and it tastes great.

3 Likes

Just a little poke but, is that dirt you’re growing in “food safe”? Lol! I promise I’m just joking around, I understand the concern.

4 Likes

@joheimgrohen Haha all good , love the banter : )

I grow in molton rock spun like candy floss , yum

But I don’t think I would wrap my sandwich in it : )

3 Likes

I use and really like the AC infinity fabric pots and nursey bags. The pots have gromets around the top to tie down your plants. Makes LST easy. They are also thicker than most brands. The nursery bags are great anf cheap. I just drop the nursery bag and plant into the next sized container.

4 Likes

Agreed. I’ve used 3or 4 brands of which AC Infinity are, noticeably, the most durable.

3 Likes

I have used cheap Chinese ones off ebay, but as said above once you get over 15 gals it’s better to move them on the drier side or the handles can tear off.

Like joheimgrohen I have also used fabric grocery bags and double them up so you have 2 handles together on each side. I have also just cut a hole in the bag the soil came in and grown in that.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a straight from the bag grow! Blew my freaking mind! The one I saw, dude had the bags standing on their sides in a crate and had a plant at each alternating end! Dude Just used a tractor when they needed moved.

With the “Grow-cery” bags i find the handles are more trouble than they’re worth. They’re cool to tote the bag around while the plant is still small but once they get big enough using the handles can damage them. They also like to leach water and drip all over the place. I’ve tried stuffing them inside the bag (was okay till time to empty it), rolled up and clipped to the lip of the bag (did great till laundry day and got a binder clip stuck in the washing machine), so I just cut the handles of now.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the info everyone!

1 Like

Did this for many many years! Works like a charm!

3 Likes

I get mine from 247Garden, biggest selection and best prices I’ve found, the shipping makes it worth getting a lot at once but it works out very cheap and they are excellent quality, I especially like the tall ones, 2G transplanters for veg and then 15-25G pots to flower in:

They do make cheaper ones too with thinner fabric for one time use or commercial but I like the standard line in tan or black, 260gsm fabric is nice and thick

1 Like

I got these 7 gal AC Infinity ones at the start of this year. They washed real easy after the first harvest and I like how they’ve got incorporated eye holes for LST. I’ve tried punching eyelets into these AC infinity 5 gal square fabric pots before, but it weakened the bag where I punctured it and you could see the hole getting bigger.

1 Like

I end up using stakes zip tied around the circumference of the bag but if I was a tying down sort of person I would use these to add loops to the bag sides:

https://www.amazon.com/ONLYKXY-Pieces-Rivets-Buckle-Bronze/dp/B08BJPC22B

1 Like