Best Extract - Edibles, Gummies, Coconut Oil, MCT

I read that different cannabinoids bind stronger to specific fats compared to other kinds of fats.
For example, compared to olive oil, coconut oil has been said to be more effective at pulling the decarboxylated cannabinoids off of the flower (almost like a stronger magnet to itself).

But I couldn’t find a ranking of the various oils based on binding strength (i.e. cannabinoid binding strength)

Have you ever made a homemade gummy that required a tincture or oil infussion?
Which edible oil is more effective at pulling the cannabinoids off the flower (i.e. more thoroughly and as close to 100% as possible)

5 Likes

From what I know, unrefined coconut oil is the best. And I have made gummies using concentrates, oil and both. Using oil in your gummies requires an emulsifier and lots of stirring(if you don’t want to end up with a layer of oil and a layer of gummy in your finished product). I recommend lecithin as it helps with the uptake of cannabinoids in your body as well

2 Likes

Butter butter butter. And it’s the most delicious.

4 Likes

Apparently clarified butter/ghee is just slightly better than coconut oil.

4 Likes

On a somewhat related note, I always use butter, and I’ve only made caramels and chocolate fudge. People that I share with love them both, because they can’t taste the weed at all.

Lots of friends/relatives use the caramels as “sleep aids”…us old folks sometimes have trouble getting a good night’s sleep.

My wife and I recently took an 8 day cruise out of Miami. What to do!!??!
One of the things I make that’s NOT “special” in anyway is the good old fashioned Chex Party Mix. I started making my own because I have Celiac Disease, and it’s pretty easy to make gluten free.
SOOOOOoooooooo…I made a big batch of Party Mix, took a big plastic container that had peanut butter stuff pretzel nuggets in it, and just put the party mix in that, adding a handful of caramels every other scoop. Screwed the cover on, stuffed that Bad Larry into one of our suitcases, and checked it right on into Miami, and then onto the cruise ship.

Worked like a charm. We had caramels for the whole trip :slight_smile:

Lob

1 Like

Will this work for edibles? I’m an FNG when it comes to making edibles…

1 Like

Can’t see why not, if you’ve made your own butter and it’s decarbed already… looks like this is basically a mix of chocolate chips, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and maybe some vanilla extract, i.e. cookie dough without the milk, butter and eggs. Since it’s no-bake they’re having you use cream cheese, which is also a common addition to give cookies better texture, instead of eggs. If you added eggs and baked them you’d end up with cookies instead of cookie dough bites. :slight_smile:

1 Like