Best way to extract hash from dried buds?

Oh no, I haven’t done it like that. Seems like it could work. At least it would be a pretty cool science experiment. :joy:

Now that I think of it, we should have a weed science fair on here. :joy:

4 Likes

Interesting concept, basically to keep the material cold while tumbling? That might be a good experiment.

My friend has been working on large scale extractions using cryoethanol. This will then be distilled in a rotovap for edibles and carts. Keeping everything below freezing makes for some very clean extractions.

I wouldn’t want to add dry ice directly to my solvent for fear of unwanted contaminants in the dry ice. I would instead make a slurry of acetone and dry ice, and keep the vessel with my solvent in that.

2 Likes

Not sure that would work since the dry ice would just evaporate ( sublimate) whatever word needed and be gone unless I’m not following ya here? Lol

1 Like

The acetone has a lower freezing point than water. It will sublimate for a bit until it gets to temp, then the dry ice will act like regular ice, only much colder.

4 Likes

@ReikoX have you ever tried dry ice on fresh frozen bud? I wonder if it might come out cleaner…

2 Likes

Personally, no. But my buddy’s SOP is to flash freeze fresh bud and keep it below -40° during the whole extraction. I believe they use LN2, but the dry ice and acetone will substitute.

1 Like

Oh yes I see , my thoughts were that you stored it this way … immediately use item it’s clear now ! Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

Hey Tinytuttle
Just made some dry ice bubble hash and it’s great!
Used about two ounces of trim and popcorn and it’s easy to make. You’ll need a flower press tho to really finish the product.
Have fun and good luck!

2 Likes

I doubt it is in any way “best” but has anyone used these?

SE GP2-5 SET 5-Piece Set of Patented Stackable 13-¼” Sifting Pans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c.html/ref=olp_atc_mlist_new_1

Like others have said - make sure to hydrate them in ice water. I wait at least an hour. I’ve checked after 45 mins and they’ve still been too dry for my liking.

Just rehydrate and you will be fine. Also don’t overmix

2 Likes

I’ve made dry ice hash an works great just don’t overshake. Done ice water hash and makes a nice product as well once you dry it out.
I just did my first Qwiso try and let it evaporate at room temp with a fan blowing on it for 11 days and just collected it and the first try is :+1::+1:

10 Likes

how big of a batch @MBVapester? my first try with the alcohol(ethanol) yielded a bit of dusty crystal powder but nothing to smoke…it all flew away or birds or something… :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Have a friend do it for you, that is the easiest way I know of.

1 Like

Got 21g. No idea if that’s good or not.

It’s my baseline I guess.

3 Likes