Best ways to dry and cure

Thanks for the replies I am defo gonna use my grow tent to dry my buds b4 putting in glass jars that way I can leave inlet fan going plus extractor and keep an eye on temp and RH wot is the best temp and RH to aim for wen drying?

1 Like

I’m trying to keep about 60% RH and temperatures under 20°C (68 °F) if you are worried that the plant will dry quickly, so watering before harvest. The key to drying properly is drying slowly, as already written up.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Where have all the trichomes gone?

I still do that… slows down the drying, especially with my central A/C being on almost all the time

2 Likes

i do things a little different, i don’t dry until the stem snaps. IMO at this point you’ve gone to far. i dry until the outside of the bud is dry, then shuck the buds from the main stem and place in a jar. i then “sweat” the remaining moisture out. being in the jar draws the moisture form the stem into the bud. i’ll remove the buds at this point and dry again until the outside is crisp. i do this several times until the bud has dried evenly throughout. then close jars and check once a day to be sure they’re good, once that is established seal the jar until use. i’ve found this method produces very smooth end product. i also dry in a controlled area. starting around 55-60% rh and 70 F. then lower the humidity of the course of the dry to about 40% at the very end.

8 Likes

I like the idea of this method in my last run I thought about stripping the buds off just short of the snap sound in the branch bend and doing the same procedure outlined above thanks for your input @Dewb!

3 Likes

i like to get a bend bend bend snap out of the stem i def dont think you should wait for a insta snap

1 Like

i prefer dry trimming otherwise you’re getting chlorophyll all over your freshly harvested flowers and that can ruin the smell for 1-2 weeks, sometimes permanently

3 Likes

I always try to keep the drying area at 62/62, or as close to that as possible (temp and RH). I use a digital humidifier to regulate RH in drying room, and adjust house temps as needed.

1 Like

adding humidity seems weird to me, i guess i’m not in a particularly dry area. i think sealing the room would prevent rapid humidity loss but may not be feasible everywhere

2 Likes

Yeah, my dry area is very low humidity, sometimes 20s-30s, especially winter season. So I add the digi humi to get the room up to 60s. The humi itself isn’t ever on the buds, which are in a closet of the room, but without the humi in the room they would dry out way too fast due to low rh. Same with airflow, I have a couple fans circulating air in the dry room, just not the closet itself.

3 Likes

you shoulda dry trim, drys slow and protect the buds fom the light that degrades thc potency.

1 Like

This is pretty much step for step my process.

5 Likes

For the first time ever i am curing buds.

Hopefully they will improve in taste. Not the most potent smoke i have had, but but it’s kinda sweet with some cider in it, if that makes any sense. Earthy as well.

White Widow Auto by Dutch Passion. This is just one plant. Didn’t weight it as i have no intention of selling any. Like @Calyxander said the other day, just jar it and smoke it. Gonna cut one WW and one BT tonight.

9 Likes

Find some really sweet nugs, set a few grams aside and don’t open for 3 or 6 months. You won’t believe!

3 Likes

i’ve heard trimming wet can release chlorophyll on the buds causing them to have a grassy smell for 1-2 weeks but it can come back during the cure - maybe next plant try trimming half dry and half wet to compare if there’s difference in taste/smell

looks awesomt tho, look at that, constantly harvesting :smiley: i think you’ll never run out of weed again!

5 Likes

I disagree and have never had a odor problem with wet trimmed bud.

Edit: That seems harsh. In my experience that is not the case with wet trimmed bud.

5 Likes

yeah i’ve never trimmed wet. well once when i was hired as a trimmer but never saw the flowers again, i was paid in cash and finger hash :smiley: good to know tho i think i’ll do a comparison when i chop, i’ll be harvesting one soon i think :smiley:

2 Likes

Little help guys I am getting a funny smell from my cure jars buds have been in jars for 3 days now they were hung and dried for 6 days in side grow tent checked them wen I got bk from the dam the stems snapped and buds felt dry to the touch so I put in to jars I have been burping jars twice a day and wen they r opened the smell is strange not skunky like it should be anyone any ideas as to wots wrong??

1 Like

Don’t panic. Keep breathing the jars until the fragrance improves.