Best ways to dry and cure

Thanks for the replies I am defo gonna use my grow tent to dry my buds b4 putting in glass jars that way I can leave inlet fan going plus extractor and keep an eye on temp and RH wot is the best temp and RH to aim for wen drying?

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to keep about 60% RH and temperatures under 20Ā°C (68 Ā°F) if you are worried that the plant will dry quickly, so watering before harvest. The key to drying properly is drying slowly, as already written up.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Where have all the trichomes gone?

I still do thatā€¦ slows down the drying, especially with my central A/C being on almost all the time

2 Likes

i do things a little different, i donā€™t dry until the stem snaps. IMO at this point youā€™ve gone to far. i dry until the outside of the bud is dry, then shuck the buds from the main stem and place in a jar. i then ā€œsweatā€ the remaining moisture out. being in the jar draws the moisture form the stem into the bud. iā€™ll remove the buds at this point and dry again until the outside is crisp. i do this several times until the bud has dried evenly throughout. then close jars and check once a day to be sure theyā€™re good, once that is established seal the jar until use. iā€™ve found this method produces very smooth end product. i also dry in a controlled area. starting around 55-60% rh and 70 F. then lower the humidity of the course of the dry to about 40% at the very end.

8 Likes

I like the idea of this method in my last run I thought about stripping the buds off just short of the snap sound in the branch bend and doing the same procedure outlined above thanks for your input @Dewb!

3 Likes

i like to get a bend bend bend snap out of the stem i def dont think you should wait for a insta snap

1 Like

i prefer dry trimming otherwise youā€™re getting chlorophyll all over your freshly harvested flowers and that can ruin the smell for 1-2 weeks, sometimes permanently

3 Likes

I always try to keep the drying area at 62/62, or as close to that as possible (temp and RH). I use a digital humidifier to regulate RH in drying room, and adjust house temps as needed.

1 Like

adding humidity seems weird to me, i guess iā€™m not in a particularly dry area. i think sealing the room would prevent rapid humidity loss but may not be feasible everywhere

2 Likes

Yeah, my dry area is very low humidity, sometimes 20s-30s, especially winter season. So I add the digi humi to get the room up to 60s. The humi itself isnā€™t ever on the buds, which are in a closet of the room, but without the humi in the room they would dry out way too fast due to low rh. Same with airflow, I have a couple fans circulating air in the dry room, just not the closet itself.

3 Likes

you shoulda dry trim, drys slow and protect the buds fom the light that degrades thc potency.

1 Like

This is pretty much step for step my process.

5 Likes

For the first time ever i am curing buds.

Hopefully they will improve in taste. Not the most potent smoke i have had, but but itā€™s kinda sweet with some cider in it, if that makes any sense. Earthy as well.

White Widow Auto by Dutch Passion. This is just one plant. Didnā€™t weight it as i have no intention of selling any. Like @Calyxander said the other day, just jar it and smoke it. Gonna cut one WW and one BT tonight.

9 Likes

Find some really sweet nugs, set a few grams aside and donā€™t open for 3 or 6 months. You wonā€™t believe!

3 Likes

iā€™ve heard trimming wet can release chlorophyll on the buds causing them to have a grassy smell for 1-2 weeks but it can come back during the cure - maybe next plant try trimming half dry and half wet to compare if thereā€™s difference in taste/smell

looks awesomt tho, look at that, constantly harvesting :smiley: i think youā€™ll never run out of weed again!

5 Likes

I disagree and have never had a odor problem with wet trimmed bud.

Edit: That seems harsh. In my experience that is not the case with wet trimmed bud.

5 Likes

yeah iā€™ve never trimmed wet. well once when i was hired as a trimmer but never saw the flowers again, i was paid in cash and finger hash :smiley: good to know tho i think iā€™ll do a comparison when i chop, iā€™ll be harvesting one soon i think :smiley:

2 Likes

Little help guys I am getting a funny smell from my cure jars buds have been in jars for 3 days now they were hung and dried for 6 days in side grow tent checked them wen I got bk from the dam the stems snapped and buds felt dry to the touch so I put in to jars I have been burping jars twice a day and wen they r opened the smell is strange not skunky like it should be anyone any ideas as to wots wrong??

1 Like

Donā€™t panic. Keep breathing the jars until the fragrance improves.