Brave browser (BAT tokens)

Hey all and @LemonadeJoe, I’ve been using this web browser on my phone for months now called brave browser. I installed it because I read you get free cryptocurrency called BAT (basic attention tokens) for the ads you see while browsing. It’s also set up so you can ‘tip’ websites you like with these tokens as you browse.

Anyways I never really thought to check how many I had but it turns out I have like $58 USD worth of these tokens from being a loser who surfs the internet too much lol.

So I was thinking if you sign OG up to accept these tokens I could donate them, there are instructions here:

Also I think once you’re signed up you can get more tokens for referring people to use the browser, so if anyone is thinking of installing it now maybe hold off a bit to see if OG can get a chunk for anyone who might want to try it.

Going forward if lots of us use this browser it could be a good way for our OG addictions to help pay for the site!

Anyways just a thought. Joe let me know if you have signed up, or if there’s another way for me to send these tokens your way. Thanks :+1:

6 Likes

Great minds think alike! Sent him an email about this a couple weeks ago

2 Likes

Ya it’s a pretty cool thing. I thought I would have had like 12 cents worth of tokens but it turns out they add up pretty quickly.

1 Like

I’ve got it but don’t use it anywhere near as much as I should. Guess its time to change that :grinning:

1 Like

I like new and disrupting technologies and especially those trying to improve privacy. But in this case I’m afraid that it disrupts in negative way. Essentially they are disrupting existing relationships between websites (publishers) and their advertisers.

• They are removing advertisements from your website
  • They are replacing them with their own advertisements
  • You then need to sign up and claim money in the form of a cryptocurrency token that can be only withdrawn to single exchange (Uphold) that requires complete identity verification and paying high commissions.

Good reading about the project is here: kevinmuldoon.com/do-not-use-brave-browser/

I don’t like the idea of anyone messing with content of our site and replacing parts that he doesn’t like (banners, affiliate links) with something else and profiting from it.

Also to claim BAT tokens through Uphold they require publishers to verify identity with id cards and selfies, completely negating their idea of privacy company. Instead they could just let you generate BAT address and send you your funds there… But they don’t want to do it (they have commissions from Uphold).

If you are concerned about your privacy and want to block ads, there are existing solutions working as plugins to both Chrome browser and Firefox. I’d recommend using them instead of Brave browser.

Btw if you can exchange your BAT tokens to Bitcoins, you can support us with them… How to Support Overgrow

3 Likes

Oh that’s too bad I didn’t realize. So basically these tokens are worthless unless I want to jump through a bunch of hoops…stupid

Well I finally jumped through all the hoops to get my BAT tokens out and into Bitcoin. I magically lost about half somehow along the way, but I still have $40cdn worth.

@LemonadeJoe got a BTC address I can send them to?