Breeding better seeds

It is just theory but I torture all of my males.
I starve them I mess with their light cycles… I subject them to light leaks and leave them in a hot ass room under low light to try to induce her traits.
I assume that the next generation will have added ruggedness and heat stress resistance.
I wish to start incorporating these practices to thefe!males as well.
I also subject the seedlings to very low temps by putting them in the refrigerator once cracked for a few days.
In hopes of adding cold resistance as well to the next generation.
Does anyone else do anything weird to their breeding plants? Peace
Beanz

2 Likes

I find it interesting that females stressed can turn male, but males don’t turn female…

On ur idea of inherited stress resistance, a Soviet fellow by the name of Trofim Lysenko had some of the same ideas, but none of his experiments had worked out. His practices exacerbated famines in the Ukraine in the 40’s.

6 Likes

Nicely said ^^

But yes, males can turn females this way (by radical stress but also by chems).
In fact the herm trait is not so much binary (male/female), what you are describing is an andromonoecy or an androdioecy.

In term of genetic, the insane overall torture will not affect the progeny like a “stack of successive data” computed. But for sure you’re testing your latent herms in this subgroup the best way possible.

To come back in the subject : If by example you want to breed a strain for arid zones, you will make first an “acclimatization”. The first three generations will only be used as a deadly filter, letting express the most resistant specimens for these conditions.

Then you’re making pure lines with these resistant specimens to test afterward the inheritance value of this specific “global trait”, and to “draw a map” of what to seek in the offspring. This way you will known than (trait A + trait B + trait C + whatever) = arid lines version of initial strain.

This is off course not automatic, somes lines will not handle it because the genetic ressource is not compatible. Others will just work like a charm without too much compromises on the final product, because they are initially made to work in these conditions or because they contain genetically enough code to handle it (typically the case of the old hazes VS modern dutch hazes, in term of adaptability).

The man hands are very limited to something “not natural” to change the code (over to drive it with enough time, like a taxi driver), and it’s called mutations if i globalize. In applied genetics, you literally write a mutation from markers, in farming you will generally use chems/hormons to obtain it (fem seeds, triploids selections …).

6 Likes

It definitely came from theory.
I know seeds grown in this fashion never turn hermoaphrditic .
. Thank you I learned a lot from that.

The only advantage to stressing males or females is to test for herm traits. That is a known method to force herms. If they do not herm under stress they are good for breeding with. If they herm under stress then you do not want to use them for breeding. Otherwise there seems to be no advantage to stressing plants. You may actually be forcing undesirable traits this way. Cannabis is capable of gene switching (not mutations) in as little as a few generations to adapt to local growing conditions. This is why seeded generations tend to decline rather rapidly unless you select the best plants for breeding. You might get more rugged plants by stressing parents. However they may also become low in THC. Or they will bloom in June. Or they may only grow into small runts.

2 Likes