Feminized seeds without the use of chemicals?

I just saw a post from Todd McCormick of Authentic Genetics where he says all cannabis plants will reverse themselves simply by watering with ice-cold water during the 1st two weeks of flower. Does this actually work? That would mean you get to smoke the plant after you harvest the seeds unlike using reversal spray or the like would allow safely.

6 Likes

I believe that’s kind of how it was done at one time.
Dont know about cold water. But stressing plants to make them hermie for sure.

6 Likes

I agree if you stress the plant enough self preservation will kick in. Wasn’t aware of the cold water reverse though never heard of it. Heard of colder water to bring colors out but I’ve never messed with any of that myself.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention that he posted this on his Instagram page if anyone wants to hear his story of how he learned this.

2 Likes

Never heard of cold water but I like to stress plants by giveing light for an hour a day during the dark cycle if it hermies than i will not use the pollen but if it takes 2 weeks or longer of light during dark to go hermie its offsping have a better chance of not hermieing. I had a lemon skunk best of 30 fem seeds after 4 weeks wouldn’t hermie that would be best plant to make fems with colloidal silver.

3 Likes

Every plant that I’ve had herm on me I have kept and grown out the seeds and they are always female and are 95 percent just like the moms a touch off but could have me fooled me sometimes I just don’t give them out of some one asks me I tell them yo these are herm beans proceed after own risk.My recipe for disaster was leaving the top 6 inches of my tent flap open for 3 days 4 weeks into a flower cycle in the tent With a light on a veg cycle across from it in the garage and I pissed the whole tent off with light stress.Every thing was herm from top to bottom on Mark from Strainleys ghost my skunk had a couple trying to pop up on the bottoms I ripped them off and flowered her out.Grew some of the beans for outdoor for curiosity and they never Hermed and made good smoke that was just as potent as the parent.I think herm beans make really good refill the jars stock to smoke while you wait till the good shit is done in the following grow.You are the wind beneath my wings savior herm beans

8 Likes

Ha! You know, I’ve heard that exact thing from other growers around here that I really respect. I’ve even requested some of those seeds when they tell me of the effects/smells they give. I have a special tent just for those grows away from where I would normally grow my stuff.

2 Likes

I had a CBD plant that I grew indoors, hermed very badly and I allowed it to finish. I germinated about 30 of those seeds in a 3 gallon pot and planted it in the ground after they sprouted. All came out female. No herms. That was outdoor though. I believe you get more leeway outdoor with hermaphrodites then you do indoor. I’ve yet to see one outdoor after a few years but indoor I’ve seen more than I can count on fingers and toes.

4 Likes

Unreal. Yes, this can work; any kind of stress during flowering can cause plants to herm. Some will herm easier than others. The problem is that like breeds like. Not all plants will herm from cold root zones, so the ones that are more likely to herm from stress will herm and reproduce, passing on those genes that made it prone to herm from stress in the first place. A few generations down, you’d probably have nothing but herms whether they were stressed or not. Is he actually advising people to do this, or just mentioning that this’ll cause plants to herm?

7 Likes

I know light leaks and letting them go too long in flower can make them hermie and pop at least a few bananas…

3 Likes

He’s saying it’s a method to consider if your plants start to herm since we’re into the cold season. Yeah, I’d never reproduce with them but I would grow out the ones sent to me to check out the high. I’ve never kept anything that has hermed on me to be honest so I don’t know why I asked for those seeds he sent me. Just curious to feel and smell what he did. I’ve got an old tent just laying around and have a few outside sheds that I could throw into one of them was my thinking.

I think the herms I got were from a door left slightly open. But only one strain did that out of 5 that I had going at the time.

1 Like

I’ve seen that you get more leeway outdoors with water ph as well. My water is a constant 8.9 right out the tap. Had my indoor grow hit hard as I went through my first nutrient lock-out during my second grow ever. Killed off several plants as I learned to use my soil ph pen. But the outside plants look like champions with no ph’ing ever. Good old sun huh.

If you let a plant go past its point of maturity it will start developing seeds to reproduce, not as much as a pollinated flower but you’ll find them in there. I used to leave lowers on my outdoors and normally got a few tiger striped beans from each nug after about a month past harvest.

7 Likes

Yeah…Soma taught it as a method to get pollen…rodalization as a method to reed feminized seeds… but ya gottawonder how many produce seeds prone to being hermies from the get go?

4 Likes

Now that’s very interesting.

And also, how many people got herms, didn’t tell anyone and breed with it anyway.

4 Likes

Darn, another thing I have to try.

1 Like

The easiest way to get a plant to show intersex traits is to mess with the light cycle.
I would do that before the ice water thing.
But you are just making intersexed seeds, no matter how you stress them.

The proper way to do things is kill all the plants that change sex under any form of stress whether it be cold, light, or whatever.

Do not breed with any of those plants unless you want an intersexed line.

4 Likes

Nutrient-hormone synergism. Sulfur deficiency will halt ethylene just like silver. Males and females have a different diet in nature. Unless you’re human apparently, then gender is a myth or whatever and McDonald’s is good for you because it’s legal.

1 Like

Seed operations are typically the result of pollenated commercial crops. I’ve never not seen a large legacy operation in Norcal sell the seed from a missed hermie in a commercial crop.

1 Like