Breeding For Potency: Selection Methods

This is the most widely truism shared : using an entire valley to test offspring, then smoke a lb per day to find the pearl. I make it grotesque to be salty but, it’s not so far from the image i have. I don’t blame this type of industrial sorting, to the point than i’m considering it as the best way to find an “elite cut” in producing weed for wholesales.

But when you known enough the answer of the genotype you’re working with (because you have decided to truly “breed” it years ago), you have enough datas for your selection to destroy 75% of the unwanted specimens before even seeing a flower. This way, you don’t need also 4 or 5 human’s lifespan to build a decent catalog of funky lines. Than can produce elite cuts in the large crops of ganja farmers. Yep, i dare to make a loop to best express my opinion.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but home test kits are available.

Any breeder on this site needs to be regularly testing at home. They can pickup up to 20% THC and around 4% CBD. They are reliable and scientifically based on mass transfer processes (Thin Layer Chromatography).

Crab

3 Likes

I’ve also heard that lab analysis can be far off from the actual perceived effect of the plant. As in, plants that test in the upper 20’s can, in effect, be less potent than plants that test below 20. Seems like a good topic for discussion.

5 Likes

It doesn’t pick up terpenes, that I know of.

For example:

A plant with 8% THC and extremely high levels of Myrcene could be more potent than a plant with 12% THC and low/ND levels of Myrcene. This is where the :nose: nose becomes important… or GC/MS

5 Likes