**How to Select Male Plants for Breeding & Seed Making**

disclaimer: unknown author sharing for the community

Often when selecting a male for breeding you should be looking for the same things you would generally like to find in a female plant. Look for vigorous males, in terms of growth rate and also root mass.

Selecting for Leaf & Plant Structure

Structure is very important. You want a plant with a sturdy structure that can hold some serious weight on its branches. As my males grow, I test their branch strength by pushing down on the middle of the branch with one finger with medium pressure. If it breaks, I cull the plant — don’t waste your efforts on a weak male. Remember, you’re looking to improve your cannabis in the hybrid, incross, or backcross you’re making, not water down its quality or strength.

Leaf structure is also important. Depending on what you’re looking for, you may or may not want fat-bladed leaves that can block light from the canopy. In most cases, I prefer thinner leaves and a high flower-to-leaf ratio in males. I’m shooting for something easy to trim that lets a lot of light and airflow penetrate to lower in the canopy.

Scent Matters

I look for males with the most smell in the vegetative stage. I like to rub the stems and see what smell comes off. Some plants will leave your fingers sticky with resin from rubbing the stems. Some stand out males will smell so strong in veg you won’t even need to rub the stem to notice how much the smell stands out.

What Male Flowers Show You About the Plant

The male flowers will tell you a lot about its potential in terms of yield, potency, health, etc. Things to look for:

• Are the male flowers dense?

• Do the male flowers get powdery mildew or mold if left untreated or in moist conditions? By growing enough males, you will see that some are more susceptible and others more resistant to these issues. Of course, choose the more resistant plants.

• Are they big, fat clusters of flowers or are they smaller and thin?

When the flowers open, look for males that release copious amounts of pollen. You will see that some males release average amounts of pollen, but if you grow enough males you will see some true studs that produce an abundance of pollen. I’ve seen real stand out males drop insane amounts of pollen — ounces and ounces. Those males have always passed on large yielding plants from their seeds.

It’s About Timing

I’ve heard that the earliest to show sex and produce male flowers is something to avoid in males, unless your main goal is to shorten flower time. Some say the earliest males result in less potency in the progeny. I like to see early, fast flowering males, but I usually avoid using the very first to show sex and blow pollen.

Male Trichomes Do Exist

Do your male flowers develop trichomes? You don’t see it a lot, but when you do it’s exciting. I have heard some breeders say they think potency in males leads to less potent females in the next generation. Don’t listen to these breeders. Potency x Potency = Potency, at least in my experience. Pretty simple concept.

Selecting a Male For Your Breeding Needs

Sometimes knowing what you’re looking for is key. If you’re trying to preserve a certain female and looking for a male to use, you should look for a male that will pass on recessive traits so the female’s traits can dominate. It’s always a guess what’s recessive, but in this case I look for vigor and strength and less smell from a stem rub in the male.

Most of the time I’ve done this in a first generation hybrid, the majority of the plants grow flowers with characteristics dominant of the female with an improved yield and vigor. Of course, knowing what traits a male will pass on is always a guess until running the progeny. But by knowing the strain you’re selecting the male from, you can make an educated guess based on knowledge of the strain and observation.

Want Better Seeds? Grow More Plants

The best advice I can give is to grow more plants and plant more seeds. With your average cannabis seeds, you may be lucky to find a special male in 10–20 seeds. Grow 50–100 seeds of a strain and you’ll find something special.

It’s even more important to start with good seed stock. Know your source. The truth is, the cannabis seeds market is completely unregulated, so do your research on breeders and their practices. Keep in mind that average genetics will grow average cannabis. Growing from top notch seed stock is a must. Most plants will be worth growing, and choosing breeding males is much easier when you start with quality.

After making F1 hybrids and test growing them, you will learn which breeding selections were successful plant combinations and which ones were maybe not ideal. The experience is invaluable and you’ll learn a lot about the genetics you’re working with.

Make a Breeding Plan

Try to plan your goals ahead of time when you’re breeding or making seeds. Visualize what you’re trying to accomplish and spend time with your plants, really getting to know them. Observation is key, as it builds experience, intuition, instinct, and understanding. The better you get to know your plants, the more they will tell you and the more you will learn and understand.

I could keep going, as I love talking about breeding and male selections. But I’ll save some more for another time. At this point at Rebel Grown, we no longer use just one male from each strain for breeding. We open pollinate with several males selected from each strain to ensure the best of the genetics are passed on, instead of relying on just one selection and its genes and traits. I’ll break down our breeding practices and seed making process in a future read.

Anyone can make their own cannabis seeds and everyone should. With time you can make amazing seeds and grow your own unique creations for a lifetime!

27 Likes

Good stuff.

1 Like

This is the only thing I react to, but everything else is good advice!

Pz :v:t2:

Short over testing through generations I just pick the male that suits me and I go from there.

I like making selections but only have the space to do a little.

2 Likes

Breeding is definitively the sweet spot to talk about cannabis with focus ^^

This statement is a bit dangerous for the various interpretation that can be made from it. First, there is a lot of fire genetic that need support for their secondaries while fully matured. And it’s not always a question of optimal conditions for maximum productivity.

Also there is a lot of factor of selection involved in the type of branching itself, which include this kind of consideration (yeah the pic is old):

If i show that and in saying " it’s the perfect ratio of bark/fiber/blabla it’s equally a truth and a lie.
A truth because it was actually the best ratio for this plant, and a lie because it will push to reproduce the consideration with all strains blindly.

Some are hollow, some are producing very long fibers enclosed in a woody stem, others will be tender … you don’t evaluate a masterkush the same way that a NL#5xHaze in term of stems. They are barely opposites in everything.

I’m only ok to link the fiber production (as the hemp industry value it) as an antagonist with the most potent psychoactive chemotypes.

I absolutely agree, but …

Are the male flowers dense?

The shape of the male flowers is not a drastic leverage at all for the shape of the female flower of the progeny. You can build a yielder or to increase the yield of a greedy female with a male that don’t produce “big buds of male flowers”. The twos forms of flowering shapes are not using at all the same mechanisms to express, not even the same hormonal sequence. In taking your males for the counter part of the females in bud department you will mostly increase the pollen production of the genotype.

The most efficient way to increase the density of female’s buds in the successive generations is simply to push the female’s selection in this sense, to the point to be limited by the potential of the genotype. Then if you want more, outcrossing it with a genotype with less limitations on this trait.

Or you can do it without any headache : literally throw a handful of seeds of your indoor line in a corner of your garden and let the nature whip the ass of the strain one or twos generations this way. Isolate the line in doing a “rustication” for later.

One more time it’s important to make a difference between a selection operated to produce a “male line” and the reverse.

The calibration of the individual flower doesn’t affect much the other sex. Because they are not built the same way and with the same triggers.

On evaluation of the male’s flowers themselves, i pass. But the quality of the grains and their resistance are pretty much important for me. Not “playoff” either, sometimes the goals on traits are totally against the chances of survival of the initial genotype.

Amen. But i’m not specially crazy about trichomes on males, i don’t really care in fact.

He’s talking mainly about inbreeding and about a specific methodology totally turned on females. It’s the guts of the devil for me, but better to push the trigger to maximum in this vein and to bet on the selfing process with females.

Only if it’s the first time than you launch the line. Or if you’re simply not interrested to known it.
I’ve enough example in mind and in lungs to say that both school work : strict phenotypic approach and “artistic” approach. Each his poison.

Only in the case that it’s the first time you’re using this kind of male to create a leverage in a specific genotype, for the first time again.

The males are more prone to create patterns in dominance than females, it’s faster to spot in which battleground they will perform or not. At the opposite the females require a certain kind of elegance in breeding, by touchs. But they offer also a better accuracy when you’re playing with terpens. The cascading galaxy of GSC’s hybrids is maybe the best modern example of this kind of potentiality.

It’s not wrong at all but badly presented. It’s not really a matter of “special specimen” occurence decided by the number of seeds launched.

It’s all about you, as the grower and not the breeder. I’m a big unconditional fan of the Jack herer. When i was young, only one ten bag was enough to blow my mind and to find something “special”. It’s no longer the case, just because to make it a daily smoke you have to grow a lot of variations. And at one point, you’re becoming very demanding and specific with what you’re searching. It’s a natural process than is more on the human nature than dry arithmetics.

I personnally love the “100 sweet spot”, but it’s not because it’s a magic number or something that insure any form of quality. It’s just because it’s a breeze to make % with it for the notations and to sort sub-groups. It’s 100% a practical preference, but also a luxury that i don’t use often. I never do that if i don’t have a very structured need behind and the accurate breeding plan that come with it. Most of people don’t really realize the time that need to be spent to handle 100 plants to analyze. You have barely the time to keep them alive if it’s done in one shot.

Amen to the end. I pass on open poll, each his poison and my comment is enough long.

I don’t get the point to don’t mention the guy, it’s Ganja D from Rebel grown.

3 Likes

as i stated i didn’t know who had write this

1 Like

I thought it was intentional, my bad.

1 Like

thanks for pointing out the origine of becausei have no memories of where and when i had collected this info i have son word documents some are recipies some are book or articles some were downloaded as is and some were copy pastedfrom google searches

2 Likes

Thanks for the shares by the way, it’s stimulating.
(I’ve finished the breeding book of maryland this morning, i’m very happy to don’t have missed it with your help.)

2 Likes

my plesure i apreciate your perspective on this subject its good to see thing from different angles

1 Like

3 Likes

I have one male with light resin cover atm. I saw it already on the first leaves after sprouting and after few veg days it disappeared. This male is now showing again resin :slight_smile:

The last 30 days the males were outside with let’s say nordish conditions. I guess under perfect indoor conditions it would sprinkle a bit more ?!

I will collect pollen and then I will try to reveg outdoor!

#N1 Amnesia Haze F2 - Soma

6 Likes