breeding with ga3

Hi all,
do you have any tips for feminizing seeds with gibberellic acid (ga3) ? my plan is to spray them with a 100ppm solution for five days, then toss her into flowering. two weeks later ill put the seed producing mothers in the same tent.

is this going to work sufficiently to produce enough viable pollen?

6 Likes

Welcome to OG @sardinebags
I’m sure someone with knowledge will pop up and answer…
In the meantime head over to the Introduce yourself thread and introduce yourself to our community…
Our people will love that…

2 Likes

I’ve used GA3 for this before and I can tell ya this, whatever part of the plant you spray with it, it Will stretch like crazy… probably expect another 2ft of height on that plant. It does work, but not on All strains, some strains it doesn’t do anything…

Could always use colloidal silver instead, which has a better track record.

Or also try using Silver Thiosulfate (STS) which works very well.

5 Likes

I think the word some people used was tentacle monster. I’d go with coloidal silver or STS.

4 Likes

Hey stop by here and get to know users a bit. Hope you stay for a while, Overgrow the world.Introduce Yourself @OG

hmm ive not ever heard of ga3 for a reversal before :thinking: GA3 is a plant growth hormone and nothing to do with flowering. That makes me think the reversal would be from stress. Unless the massive amount of stretching it causes means that the ethylene can’t get to the bud sites fast enough to cause buds and instead produces balls :thinking:

CS and STS however, work by specifically binding to and inhibiting ethylene(female flowering hormone) in the stems which stops them from reaching the bud sites and therefore produces only male flowers.

Usually you’d use GA3 for germinating old or poorly kept seeds…

4 Likes

@HolyAngel GA3 is a very common hormone used for reversal. It affects the same ethylene pathway as the STS, CS or SN treatments. Im going to give this a go. I have the materials and a bit of extra space.

I was mostly looking to see if other growers were using it specifically / what their experiences were. @CADMAN called out the stretch issue which seems like the primary limitation of this approach over STS.

ill report back. my intention here is have a sizable stash of feminized seed to play with

5 Likes

Tried it, just made plants stretch like crazy and still got no pollen from them, STS or CS I find is more reliable in my experience.

4 Likes

i try id almost a year and have no seeds
so i think you can try mabey you got more luck then me so i think you can beter use one of the other options

2 Likes

At least in the cannabis world in this century it is not. It’s in Clarke’s Marijuana Botany from 1981.

There are better ways as mentioned in this thread, that’s why hardly anyone uses GA3 for it. But I’m looking forward to seeing your tentacle monsters.

12 Likes

Yep that’s what I was saying. I see no mode of action for ga3 to affect the ethylene pathway in cannabis except by extreme longation or stress. Everything I can find says they are separate and ethylene actually inhibits ga3 activity.

2 Likes

OMG you guys weren’t kidding about that part :flushed::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

Yup mine grew 2ft taller then the rest, right past the the lights lol

@alwaysnoob
I found the photo for ya, the only brach that GA3 was used on, grew alot more in height lol

My grow from Years ago lol terrible :joy:

8 Likes

Damn, that sure is a lot of growth brother…

If it occasionally didn’t reverse the sex, it could do a lot more good to even out the canopy…

2 Likes

I think your underestimating it, lots of other options to even out the canopy just requires some experience.

Even though allotment grabbed the photo of mine the plant went on to be about three times that, had to “N” the stem a couple times to try and keep it in check.

6 Likes

LOL I love it. :seedling:

2 Likes

Eewww to ga3… grab the CS… I’ve tried both ga3 and STS as well… ga3 = problems (imho) and STS stains your shit… Food/Pharmaceutical grade CS can be bought for the low, diluted (if need be) and sprayed on target nodes @20+ ppm (I generally go for 50) once a day for a week before the flip and up until confirmed reversal (usually during / shortly after stretch) with zero issues.

4 Likes

Soooo. Technically if it doesn’t reverse the girl, can it be used as a growth harmone to make your plants give you an extra few ounces per ?
I’ve been using a natural extraction of Triacontanol to increase size, but it never was as drastic as that !

And I would use STS. It’s easy to make with some inexpensive items you can buy on Amazon or eBay. One purchase will allow you to make gallons of it. You can even dilute it to get even more.

2 Likes

Oh it does work for reversal as far as I know. It’s just the option with the worst side effects I know of. The best application in the cannabis world seems to be in germination.

Also, check the pictures of Mr.Sparkle and CADMAN. The plants don’t get more internodes, just longer stalks. That would not give you any more flower. I have not seen it used on flowers, but if it has an effect on them other than not appearing, it’s probably none you would like.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. Oh yes, I think I remember reading to use it on seeds or as they are poping. I personally have never tried it, but I remember reading about it in high times many, many years ago. I guess I’ll stick with the Triacontanol. It’s cheap to make and works really well.

2 Likes