Brix levels, do they matter? What raises the Brix level? 🔥

“The conversion of nitrates to ammonium that occurs in the leaf is a process fueled by solar energy, which makes it an energy-efficient process. However, ammonium in the roots has to be converted into organic N-compounds first. ”

The author seems a bit lost here… The conversion of ammonium to N-compounds is going to happen regardless of where the ammonium comes from. That’s the whole point of absorbing nitrogen. The question is one of form, and whether nitrate is in the root or the leaf, there is an energy demand on the plant to convert that nitrate into a form the plant can use. Unless they’re arguing that the enzyme for nitrite reduction in the chloroplast is fueled directly by sunlight, I’m not really sure what their point is in saying it’s fueled by solar energy. Literally every process in the plant is fueled by solar energy…

2 Likes

You are both right here to me!

Nitrate is easily absorbed and goes through more steps to get to ammonia. Ammonium is only one step away and is generally forced into the plants without the need for any enzymes. Enzymes are necessary to convert nitrate all the way into ammonium and then to usable nitrogen and ammonia, which makes nitrate a bit more ‘plant regulated’. And why it is generally the preferred nutrient source over ammonium based nitrogen. That enzyme and reaction does require atp to happen, so how it affects brix and if that matters in regards to overall photosynthetic rate is arguable. If we aren’t worried about reusing media or being sustainable, ways of old are probably also ways to increase brix the most. Just spit balling.

2 Likes

I wish somehow we could define what happens for sure here… does it increase it or not haha… I wonder how someone would find the answer as to if it increases photosynthetic rates?

Can someone please explain what atp means?

Found it lol sorry

1 Like

So are we worried the plant slows down photosynthetic rate ? Or will take longer for the conversions of nitrogen? “Can y’all tell i’m way in over my head lol”

1 Like

A better statement than “nitrates lower plant brix”, might be “nitrates, when used in excess or in an imbalanced nutrient program, may cause brix to lower.”

3 Likes

So has anyone hydroponically actually proven high brix? Because it was cultured biologix that stated about certain nitrogen lowering the brix of the plant… and doing so more and more each generation… and that it takes several grows to actually get the brix up to where it’s supposed to be again… @grow

1 Like

IDK about that. I read that paper as the nitrates are absorbed at the roots same as ammonium.

The nitrate travels to the leaves to be used and converted by photosynthesis.

The ammonium, both produced in the leaves and absorbed in the roots, is toxic to the plants and has to be converted, in the roots, with carbohydrates. So any ammonium produced in the leafs gets transported to the roots for conversion into amino acids and such.

2 Likes

I squeezed some sap out of a few leaves, cut it in half with water and put that on the digital meter and it said 7% :man_shrugging:

I’ll order the regular refractometer as I’m not really sure on the digital one, and no being able to tell calcium/boron on it.

4 Likes

Yup that’s what i say… digi refractometer is trash

Clearly just for someone only wanting a brix test and zero anything else

That was the 2 things I thought were amazing about the regular refractometer … it’s worth it just for that lol

1 Like

So I’m seeing we want a 12 to 15 percent brix in cannabis with a sap ph of 6.4 … i wonder what the difference is… from say 7 to 10 percent… to 15 percent …

If it makes the plant weigh more will it increase bud density? That seems like a big deal if so…

2 Likes

I just want clarification… because the initial reason… was it almost seemed like the cultured biologics were almost talking shit on hydro growing… and after the discussion we’ve all had it seems like that is almost misleading as well…

So to be clear… this post is not to attempt to make anyone feel like their way of growing is inferior…

But… if it is a reality… and we find that is the case… I’d want to let the whole world know on the other hand… because again… I’m not here to compete… I am here to be humble and learn … and if I knew something that would make your weed better… or this persons… or that persons… then it’s what I’d want to do… expose why and how… because to me… we are all 1 big family… working together for 1 great goal… to be the best we can at this. Knowledge is power … ignorance is not bliss

2 Likes

It’s not being used by photosynthesis, it’s just being reduced to ammonium in the same place. Ammonium isn’t toxic to plants, it’s a building block for all their protein.

Any type of large quantity of ammonium in the root zone, or feeding only ammonium based nitrogen, absolutely is toxic to the plants. They have no way to safely store it.

My bad on the ‘used for photosynthesis’ part, it’s not directly used by it, but by damn near everything and everywhere else.

Don’t feel bad. This gets me high. It’s because it’s High Brix Weed.

2 Likes

@PadawanWarrior Son of a … I thought that was a frigging chicken!! Lmao! I had to zoom in!

“Hey Billy, you see the size of that chicken?” :rofl:

“Young guns movie quote” :smiley:

3 Likes

HAHAHA. I see it now. :rofl:

2 Likes

We were talking about nitrite reduction, not nitrate…

1 Like

So from what I can tell. In order to maximize photosynthesis, and therefore increase our brix level:
we still want to supply nitrates but never more than necessary.
A small quantity of ammonium.
Extra amino acids if at all possible. This seems to be in the form of hydrolasates :thinking: protein/soy/fish/etc.
Humic and fulvic acids.
And then all your standard stuff. Keep all the other nutrients at proper levels, adequate CO2, and lighting. Light should be the limiting factor…

Speaking of light limiting… I wonder if those high brix levels were taken from outside plants and/or if the same level also applies indoors under artificial lighting :thinking:

5 Likes

This seems spot on. Take advantage of the synergy of nitrate and ammonium, use amino acid/peptides/hydrolysate as possible.

The ammonium toxicity thing is super interesting - seems heavily related to ecological succession as related to fungal dominance in the soil. More fungi = higher ammonium in soil which would automatically select against certain plants thriving in that area. I want to say the soil food web people refer to cannabis as 1:1 fungi:bacteria which at least implies some affinity for both nitrate and ammonium in the soil, along with other whatever organic forms of nitrogen they can consume.

4 Likes

Yeah from my brief research it seemed that certain plants want certain ratios of nitrates:ammonium in order to maximize growth. Too much or too little of one or the other and there were deficiencies. I didnt find a ratio for cannabis though. That seems like some info we’d really want to have.

4 Likes