White powdery mildew, what do I do?

Just started my flush on my outdoor sour d, was planning to harvest in a couple weeks. Noticing what I think is PM. This is my highest yield plant, I really hope it’s not ruined. Is there anything I can do???

9 Likes

This eradicated my PM issues in my indoor garden almost overnight. I swear by this stuff. I’m not entirely sure how outdoor gardens function since they’re generally not enclosed, but I’d say it’s worth a shot. This stuff delivered great results for me and I had it worse than what your photos show.

Best of luck

24 Likes

In addition to @anon80727880 excellent advice, go to drzymes.com and send for the FREE SAMPLE of Eliminator, NO chemicals and, able to use up the day of harvest. $7.00 if USA-based, $12.00 if International, but does NOT ship to Canada (awaiting Govt approval). Hope it helps. Stay safe/be well.

15 Likes

There are a few commercial products that many have tried (but I’ve never used so can’t say)

I’ve used baking soda/milk with some success.

I’ve used a water spray pHed to 9.0 with some success.

I’m currently experimenting with alcohol and bleach but the jury is not out yet.

The things I’ve mentioned gets rid of PM for 4-5 days but then it comes back.

If all else fails and you can’t get rid of it and it gets infected in a really ugly way you can always turn it into bubble hash. So worst case it’s not a total loss.

All the best.

9 Likes

Thanks guys. I called every store close to me, no one has green cure. I’m going to try a baking soda and soap mixture I found online. I really was looking forward to smoking these flowers. Gonna do whatever I can !!

4 Likes

I use Attak as a ipm once a month, because pm is the most likely problem i will have, right now its all over outside on the grass leaves all over. the wife has had it on her houseplants but i havent in my room ever. not really proof but i think it works. good luck !

1 Like

Do check your buds for “Bud Rot”!!! You DON’T want to smoke any of that!!! Baking Soda mixed with Castile Soap works, as well. Be sure to coat on/under. Also, Regular Milk mixed with water works. Spray it doing the HOTTEST part of the day!!! Work your magic…stay safe/be well.

4 Likes

IMO that plant is garbage. Yes I know many people wash it off and smoke it but fuck that.

Sucks tossing entire plants but thats part of growing outdoors.

Need to be proactive next time and treat to keep from getting PM.

13 Likes

Ah man really, its garbage?

And if that’s the case should I destroy it so the other plants around it are not affected

2 Likes

Be looking for other plants outside that have pm, treat them also

5 Likes

I agree with craigson at this point its too late, throw a bag over so as not to release more spores when you pull it.
This time of year pm is everywhere, keep your eyes open.

5 Likes

@Craigson15 and @OleReynard are spot on…tag it and bag it. Next season, be aware that PM spores and other pathogens can travel long distances on the wind. Pumpkin patches, Egg Plants, Broccoli, and Potato Fields (in my neck of the woods) can spread a virus (PM, Blight, etc). Spray early and often, rarely does one shot seal the deal. Whatever you do, DON’T put an affected plant in your Compost Pile!!! Stay positive, stay safe and, be well. We’ve all been there.

3 Likes

The thing that worries me most is theres 3 other plants within feet of it. None of them showing signs yet. I’m going to move the affected one immediately before I decide what I’m going to do.

I’m so bummed out :frowning:

4 Likes

Don’t be, it’s part of Nature. With this plant, there are so many variables, some out of our control. Airflow, closeness to other plants, humidity, rainfall, etc, all play it’s part in this delicate dance. That’s why you have to stay on top of the things YOU can control, thus minimizing the one’s you can’t. It is NEVER a “set it and forget it” situation. Don’t be bummed, evaluate what factor(s) caused it, vow to NOT repeat the same mistake…you’ll be fine. All the while, stay safe/be well.

8 Likes

Thank you.

So to learn from this experience, what are some things I did wrong? Did I not defoliate it enough to provide adequate airflow?

3 Likes

Defoliation does help to allow more airflow and light into the plant, but tbh there probably wasn’t much you could have done. The pm spores are in the air everywhere and take hold when conditions are right.

If you can bring your plants inside at night. This time if year the cold nights cause them to be covered in condensation in the morning which can really encourage pm.

5 Likes

One thing I did to help was Last fall I chopped basically anything in or around my yard that had PM. I had a 15ft x 15ft lilac bush that was full of PM (lilacs are known PM magnets) that I chopped back to almost nothing. (Shoukd have been to nothing as The small left over branches got PM again)
I found numerous other garden plants and weeds that had PM real bad so chopped them.
Then A few times per summer I spray greencure on almost everythingn in my yard as a preventative.

6 Likes

George Cervantes talks about washing buds with pm in hydrogen peroxide at harvest in this video.

7 Likes

Damn I wish I saw this before I destroyed my plant

3 Likes

Spliff Seeds have a good bud wash how-to on their site: Harvesting Cannabis With Bugs Or Mildew

They use a 3 step wash.

1. 1-2 grams baking soda per 10 liter water. (alkaline wash)
  2. Juice of 1/2 lemon per 10 liter + 10ml/liter 3% peroxide (acid wash)
  3. Fresh water.
5 Likes