Broad Mite control

If you never met these guys
Be glad, they make spider mites control seem easy.
I tried many treatments
I’m cautious I have found the
Solution.
Reading what green house growers do out west I took a chance.
If you take the plants and put I side a tent and zip it up
And let it get 115f for an hour or 2 it seems to do the trick.
I add D earth to my water in veg, it leaves a residue but it
I hope will be a preventive
But heat seems to be a huge help, I was about to destroy
Everything and start again.
Hope this helps someone.

6 Likes

Diatomaceous earth does not work once wet just saying

2 Likes

Ozone treatments also

3 Likes

Broad mites are a bytch and spreading across the USA fast. Apparently they were used in an attempt to eradicate wild Himalayan blackberries by one or some of the universities and/or govt. agencies here in the US west. That was one sorry ass failure, as they have little effect on any of the invasive wild blackberries, including both Himalayan and European cutleaf types. However, they they dine on those species of blackberries in the wild and have been decimating pretty much every commercial blackberry cane berry field from coast to coast now. Way to go stupid invasive plant control ‘experts’. Anyway, now that broad mites are here in the states from coast to coast and thrive on cane berries, they also attack other plant species, including Cannabis. As Cannabis cultivation in the US is also growing exponentially, especially hemp, broad mites are a growing problem. I have to spray my cane berries here every year if I want any berries now.

My experience is that heat treatment will not eradicate broad mites. I got up to 109 here last year and it was 115 in my GHs for over 12 hours for several days straight. They survived just fine. They also survived outdoor temps in the Portland area at of over 116 deg. F. when Portland was the hottest place on earth for 3 days in a row. According to the gov’t agencies regarding eradication of broad mites from cane berries, the ONLY effective spray approved for broad mite control is Avid (commonly sold under the name brand Avid, but much cheaper as a generic Abamectin). Avid works on all types of mites, including broad mites, spider mites and hemp mites. It is a foliar spray and efficacious for pretty much any sucking insects and mites. It is not quite a systemic, but permeates the leaves. It is not listed as organic, even though it is produced by soil bacteria and that is where it originated. Conversely Aza-Max is considered organic, even though it is refine from neem oil. Go figure. Also note that to be effective, Avid has to be mixed with what is called an activator, which is any type of agricultural soap or spreader. Use an agricultural soap and not dish or Ivory soap on plants. You want a soap designed for plants that will not dissolve plant waxes. Any type of detergent will pretty much dissolve plant wax, and that is not a good thing. Avid is not a contact spray, and it will not kill the eggs on contact, but the ag soap spreader/activator that it is mixed with will. Its a one-two punch. All stages of mites and the eggs will be killed on contact by the ag soap or by the Abamectin when they suck on the leaves. One problem with Abamectin is that mites can adapt to them over time. Abamecitn is photo sensitive and will dissipate completely in a few weeks time.

The other effective sprays for all types of mites, including broads are agriculture soaps/spreaders and oils. These are generally non toxic and can be applied multiple times and they cannot be adapted to by the mites. The oils include refined 70% Neem oil, Bee-Safe (sesame oil), and mineral oils (and others). The insecticidal soap/spreader/activators and/or wetting agents include Safers, Bonide, Bayer natria, Garden Safe, etc. I use a commercial brand. These can all be used as a dunking solution as well to get into the tiny voids in plants where broad mites like to hide. Broads are tiny tiny creatures. Far smaller than spider mites.

Broad mites are carried by the wind, by flies, by thrips, and by humans, cats, dogs, and kids. I get them every year here no matter what. I spray the pots and GHs with bleach off season. I stray all the cane berries that I have here with Abamectin and ag soap, and then oils in winter. I spray the plants with preventatives like Bee-Safe and refined Neem. But as has happened now after a spell of hot weather here last week, one GH has broad mites. The others do not. So I an spraying them with Neem and spraying the GH and ground down with oil and soap sprays. Spray, spray and spray again. Broads are rather destructive to Cannabis and the tell tale signs are pinwheeling and distorted leaves.

I hope this helps!

5 Likes

Evil.

When I got them last year I shut everything down and let the tents sit empty for months. I sanitized before startng up again and now only grow from seed - pretty sure they came in on some clones.

3 Likes

Always quarantine, scope, and treat incoming clones. Even if you got em from your ma.

2 Likes

f*ck n A :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Hello- I’m new here and it caught my attention when you mention ozone.

Back around 2000 I made my own ozone generator with instructions found here. It was a piece of glass standing on it’s end with chicken wire glued to each side and a neon sign power source.

Do you happen t know if there are any ozone generator DIY instructions around here?

Thanks!

1 Like

like this?

2 Likes

I can attest to the fact that heat does in fact knock them back, not knock em out.
I do it several times a week
And the twisted knurled bud
Sites are returning to normal.
They sneak up on you and by the time you see a problem your screwed.
Very tiny bastards.
I check my leaves daily and they are still there but way way less and as I mentioned
Plants rebounding.
Here’s 2 pics, one is the stunted knarly effect on one tropicana.
The other is the rebound
20220808_070236|375x500

They fried my fruit salad like this.
I though nute burn, ph, I flushed the soil
Then I decided to use 60x
And I saw them.
I can only be cautious as of now and continue heat treatment several times a week.
It won’t let me post but one pic at a time
The next pic is of here sister
The green pheno

Same soil FfHF
Same ph
Same everything
Now these are nearing 42 days and supposed to.be done at 49ish

1 Like

Well I fixed my broad mite problem
I chopped everything except one un infected plant down
And trashed them.
I’m going do a super clean