Brothers Grimm Apollo XX & Canuk Super Lemon Haze (fem)

I wouldn’t mess with those flimsy square pots man they fall apart super easy. Just leave them the fack alone. Remember they are only babies and only need so much water. At that stage 1 soaking a week is probably about right.

1 Like

Thanks. I must have overwatered. I need to write it down every time or I’ll lose track! I think I did a couple in a row that were too much water AND not enough time in between.

So hopefully this 3 day dry out was good timing… probably coulda used another day after that first overwatering.

I’ll update Thursday night for the 3 week mark.

3 Likes

Do you have a small fan you can use to give them some gentle air movement. I will strengthen the stems and help dry them out faster.

2 Likes

I do have a 12v fan in there blowing down like a ceiling fan. they are just wobbling in a light breeze.
I over watered my last seedling too and i carefully cut verticals lines all down the sides of the square pots and then poked aeration holes all around the perimeter. I did that this morning to these as well so although I overwatered there is now air in there. As long as I didn’t damage the roots too much I think they will turn it around. Lots of roots down there too. Transplant soon after they bounce back!

2 Likes

Day 19:

Almost exactly 24 hrs later after all that. Looks like the new growth is coming in. I think pruning helped encourage that. But I gave it too much water again lol. Look at those bottom leaves going the same way as the last ones I over watered. I honestly think aerating the soil manually with a chopstick and carefully cutting ventilation into the side of the pots is an effective countermeasure for overwatering. Between pruning the dead leaves and getting air in the soil I’m actually seeing the new growth coming in within a day of overwatering. Hopefully it continues.

I think I got a bit of a better feel for watering dose and frequency now… hopefully. Certainly during the first two weeks of seedlings in soil there should only be 2-3 waterings in 3” pots. That’s with my basement being about 50% humidity with temps never really exceeding 26*C. Only about 20 mls max in a spray bottle is probably a safe way to not over water. I’ll probably come back to this to try that next time I sprout seeds. 20 mls with a spray bottle every 4 days.

2 Likes

Don’t wanna jump on my high horse an say I told ya so but those pots look a mess now man they’ve split allover and now you want to think about transplanting because once roots come out them cracks n holes you made good luck draggin them out then

2 Likes

You can actually just cut these pots off very easily and then you never even need to turn it upside down. then you just throw them out obviously. They are the paper thin plastic ones. An exacto blade goes through them like butter. I should also mention that pot was damaged (crumpled) from the beggining. That did not occur from slicing with the knife. The soil was not a disturbed in the process…

1 Like

I am very interested in how your Apollo turns out…That was a strain, I feel I may have mistakenly passed on, for a silly Pink Candy Kush.

It looked like a stellar strain…Great choice.

Happy Growing Man.

2 Likes

Ya Kobracom420! I have never even smoked anything Brothers Grimm!

And at this rate I won’t be smoking their shit any time soon either!! Ah well, live and learn. Still got 6 more seeds if I need to start over. At least least I have a head start on the outdoor growing season still. If they can just pull through this abuse and make it to transplanting, they will get back on track and be outdoors soon enough!

3 Likes

Good luck moving forward Dubya…

Regards,

K.

1 Like

Day 21:

Welcome back to pjay_dubya’s Non-LITFA Grow Journal. We are at the three week mark and it is starting to get pretty embarrassing.

I stand by my overwatering countermeasure of cutting up the pots for more air flow and chop stick aeration. It has certainly dried the medium to a crisp in three days. I mean LITFA is probably ideal for one overwatering. However, I DOUBLE over watered, if not triple: one too-high-frequency watering followed by double excess amount of watering. All of this occurring at a pH in around 7.5. Absolutely disgraceful gardening, I know.

I just popped these right out. They were dry and not enough roots to tangle in those slices yet. They are in the new soil mix which I soaked with water a couple days ago and was still moist… seemed like the perfect amount of moisture to just form around these dry root ‘masses’. I also misted them lightly with water before transplanting. Got these from ebay for about 10 CAD. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07KZ66M3D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_imageThey seem to be just about the cheapest quality product I’ve ever seen and more than likely had a total cost of materials and labour of possibly less than 0.01 USD. The stitches seem to have retained the weight of the soil so far. I have no idea how breathable this white felt is but so far so good.

Let’s see if these babies come back to life now…

SOIL MIX:

4 tbs kelp meal
1 tbs blood meal
1 tbs bone meal
1 tbs dolomite lime
3 cups top soil
11 cups worm castings
18 cups peat
22 cups perlite

pH after tap water = about 6.7

4 Likes

Day 28:

I pruned off the dead leaves. They had one very small watering on Saturday night. Hopefully the new soil and bigger pot help. The last couple days have been all positive signs toward recovery.

Also still concerned about the top soil&perlite mixture coming out so high on the pH meter. I really wonder how much your pH can rise from high proportions of perlite in soil? I’ve heard tap water can change as the winter transitions to spring too. The temp and humidity have even been all over the place down in the basement. But the main problem must have been overwatering.

Weather is warming up. Not going freezing at night anymore but I will wait until mid may to get these outside on a nice warm day.

Apollo XX 1

Apollo XX 2

Super Lemon Haze

7 Likes

Day 35:

Five weeks and I haven’t killed them. This is basically a showcase of how small your plants can be without dying after 5 weeks lol.

That being said, I am so happy they made it. We shall see what the future holds for these unfortunate little girls.

Again I forgot to document the last watering but I think it was right after my last post. 7/8 days ago.

Apollo XX 1

Apollo XX 2

Super Lemon Haze

5 Likes

Looks like they might be turning around on ya…you are very patient :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Day 42:

Six weeks. Looking healthy now… I topped the Super lemon haze. But I decided just to let the Apollos grow normally. I am not sure if I’ll get two distinct phenos and the breeder claims very little variance anyway. I think the height difference so far is because of how much more one was over-watered than the other, and, how they responded to different pruning. If you look back they got pruned at different times depending which leaves died and when.

Apollo XX 1:

Apollo XX 2:

Super Lemon Haze:

Spider:

9 Likes

Glad they pulled through! I’m backing the Super Lemon Haze :popcorn:

2 Likes

I am really excited to see what that Apollo does…I have been eyeing that strain for over a year now…

Regards,

K.

3 Likes

I love finding spiders or ladybugs on my plants!

5 Likes

Day 47:

Well based on the results of my last soil mix I think what I’ve made here is certainly depleted. The plants are drinking all the water that I’m giving them now as well. Thirsty and probably hungry too. I just gave them rain water for the first time after these pics.

Going to mix up a tea containing bone meal and blood meal. I also have epsom salt, dolomite lime, and kelp meal available. I could just try to pH down using apple cider vinegar. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. If I were to do it right now I would add a tbs of blood meal and bone meal to my watering can and just let it sit until next water.

Shouldn’t I also add some epsom salt and/ dolomite lime to potentially supply Ca, Mg, Sulphur? Kelp meal has K and micronutrients too… I’m not a chemist or a botanist but it seems indicative that I could just add those to my teas and pH down with apple cider vinegar no?

Super Lemon Haze:

Apollo XX 1:

Apollo XX 2:

6 Likes

They look good to me, some even have a bit of burn so they look like they are getting plenty of food atm. Leaves are a nice dark green.

3 Likes