Good Morrow, OG. Documenting my first grow and really love the OG community. I’m sure I will come to you guys when I have (newb) questions that arise!
With that said, let’s pop some seeds!
I will be growing seed to harvest in my 4x4 basement tent, using soil, and a Mars Hydro TS3000 from start to fin.
4 - Urkle Lemons Regs (Skunk House Genetics)
2 - Pink Pineapples Regs (Eternal Cultivars)
1 - Shiloh Z Fem (TH Seeds)
1 - French Macaron Fem Freebie (TH Seeds)
2 - NEW - Ape Tranquilizer Freebies (Calyx Bros)
-Soil, I will be doing organic mixes going forward but just wanted something simple to start-
1 part perlite
1 part fox farms ocean forest
2 parts fox farms happy frog
Mars Hydro TS3000. Starting things off at 25-30% Power, 30 inches away per manual.
-Germination Started May 13th-
Seeds were placed in a cupboard in a glass of water for 24hrs (all seeds except the Pink Pineapples are atleast 2+ years old judging from when these strains were released on insta). Seeds were placed directly in soil after soaking, with baggies over the top of the Dixie Cups to keep in moisture, also in a dark tent. Most seeds sprouted from soil within 2-4 days and baggies removed. I initially tried to pop 3 Urkle Lemons, only 1 germinated So I put one more in some water day 5/6 hoping to get it to pop asap, I’d love to have 4 females to flower. And who knows if any of them herm on me, so maybe even more.
The 1 Urkle Lemon that did pop, looked like it coiled a bit in the soil and decided to sprout with a curved/misguided stem at the base on day 4 (pic attached), so I decided to gently place some more soil around the base where it was kind of coiled up. I may have placed it too close to the surface. Another 48 hrs after adding some soil to the base of the stem, it seems to be healthier now, so that’s great it wasn’t damping off as I initially thought. (It does have a more purple looking stem than the others, but since it’s got Purple Urkle genes I’m hoping its normal for this strain.). I popped two more beans (Ape Tranaquilizer from Calyx Bros) about 10 days after the first set, to make up for the lost Urkle Lemons. they both germ’d 100% and are looking healthy and benefitting from me dialing in my grow space the last two weeks.
So far, growth seems to be a bit slow for Day 7? (Day 4 from breaking soil). But I dunno? Seedlings are starting to peer over the top of the cups now. Are they stretching? My light is at 25-30% Power, about 30 inches away.
The Shiloh Z and French Macaron have both been the healthiest from start. There is a weird colored spot on one of the cotyledons on one of the Pink Pineapples (see pic), but I think it’s from the seed having a hard time coming off there? Hopefully a non issue since cotyledons can be funky.
Kind of disappointed with only getting 1 of the 3 Urkle Lemons to pop. I have 1 more in the works that’s been sitting under soil for about 36hrs after soaking in water for 12 hrs and nothing so far. Probably will go to paper towel method next time, eventhough I think it has more ways to stunt growth initially, its worth it to know they sprouted.
I’ve (distilled) watered each cup a total of 2 oz water (plus pre-moistened the soil mix).
1 oz on Day 2, 1 oz on Day 4. I think I’m overwatering. The cotyledons seem curved down a tad and like I said - just seems like kinda slow growth at this point?
Temps have been a little cooler than I’d like for this stage, in the high 60s/low 70s. It can get down to as cool as 65 for an hour or two in the early morning hours if the heater goes off, but hopefully that’s not too cold. It went down to 60 on the first night, so I added a small ceramic heater to the intake which is helping stabilize temps a lot. It’s starting to finally warm up here though, so I don’t anticipate too many issues with cold temps until winter.
Day 7 recap: Since the soil was pre-moistened, I probably didn’t need to water on Day 2. Combined with the previous night’s cold temps I think that set me back a day or so. Then I watered again on day 4, probably a day or two too early and stunted growth a bit again. Plants seem to be in a good spot now though on day 7, and should be fine barring any setbacks.