Bud rott how bad is bad

Hi guys and gals,
I’m a new grower, I just harvested my second batch, after what I figured was dry enough into jars to start curing. The other day in 1 jar I noticed while burping I had some white fuzz on some bud… nothing crazy just a few spots. I cut off infected areas which I assume is bud rotten,my question is it wrong to make oil or to make edibles out of the bud that was in the same jar or should all weed that was in that jar be destroyed? I smoke a pack of cigs a day, grind metal without crazy amounts of protection, used to fight wildfires with zero filtration devices also I eat cheese and have taken a bite here and there of moldy bread … I know mold is bad, but theres a lot of bad in this world.
Just a lot of scare you info on the web so I thought I’d get some feedback from the weed scientists here and go from there lol.
Thanks

5 Likes

Oh boy… the can of worms you just opened… morality is a funny thing. 90% of your responses will be how great and morally outstanding people are and how could you ever sell/smoke a product that has had mold. Even though most smoked brick weed sprayed by god knows what, you will become a pariah. Good luck…

Edit: just read rest of post, if smoke cigs, grind metal and fight fires without protection, not really sure a little bud will be your demise. Risk/ reward paradigm

6 Likes

@Badfishy1 nailed it. So long as ur not selling and u aren’t immunocompromised u should be good to smoke it, but I’d dry that stuff out to make sure u don’t spread it around

3 Likes

@5stonedgnomes you already know my opinion… youd almost think me and @Badfishy1 are the same person hahaha

2 Likes

Wipe it off and roll it up

5 Likes

Bud rot will turn the spot black and eventually get slimy or get Crispy that’s just a bit of mold due to being a bit damp is my guess . Bud rot is more apt to be growing on living plants and easy to spot due to the area being too wet .

5 Likes

Thanks all, I’m gunna dry it out more, then cook it up into brownies or something lol

3 Likes

Let me know if you need a sampler… I’ll eat the whole batch, if I survive we know it’s safe enough

4 Likes

Tear open a large nug and look for boitritus(bud rot). Once mold is found that develops after curing has started its usually a good idea to take one step back in the drying process. As in your took one step too quickly. Buds too wet when put into jars or not burping enough. If it were mine it would not be back in jars yet. Just my opinion.

8 Likes

ld
If it looked like this I would toss it.
I have lost plenty of outdoor buds to rot mid sept-oct, during any rain .

The buds start to slime up and will squish in your fingers

6 Likes

Ya its definitely not that bad, just a few white cobweby spots

2 Likes

Yours looks to be more of a common food mold, ie strawberry mold. spreads quickly.
But can not be sure there are many many molds out there
Was your weed anywhere near China or aboard a cruise ship recently?

8 Likes

Lmfao coronamold is a serious threat

6 Likes

oh man we all been there at one time or another lol, have dealt with stem rot, but rot, root rot, spider mites, thrips and grower error lol, bud rot was painful throwing away bud after bud of massive nugs of i believe sweettooth #4 and stemrot was with white widow, thrips were a scourge for me at one time tho i dealt with the spider mites easy enough them fking thrips were so hard to truly get rid of for me, oh well the trials and tribulations, i have been a little lazy on my current grow like a div and now they are showing cal/mag def cos i let my ph drift too much without adjusting it, gave them a change out and reset the res but its two weeks till the chop so whats done is done lol, its only a minor one and the bf blue cheese i am growing is finicky with ph, seems to only like between 6.0 and 6.3 tops anything oht of this range and cal/mag def pops its head up oh well

5 Likes

Did you hear they have a cure for that

Oh and for the stubborn stuff we have Daisey Cutters
Nasty stuff to handle LOL

5 Likes

Fuck, man! My heart hurts for you. That’s why I like 45 day indicas.ouch

1 Like

I would say how big is your stash?

If you got enough chuck it, if not clean it up and smoke it.

3 Likes

Goddammit …I hate to say you’re right…but fuck…fuck…still hurts…third edit…ugh…fuck

2 Likes

That’s definitely white mold there. Looks like you were about a day or two away from your jar smelling like ammonia when you opened it. Are you putting entire colas in the jar by any chance? You definitely need to take them out minimum one day in a dry environment if only buds. Two days if colas. I just went through this a few months ago. I packed away some buds that were tighter than I’m used to. They needed more drying( the bud itself was tight. Not the packing job)

5 Likes

You can still use it for cooking or hash. It may already smoke harsh. If it smelled ammonia like it will smoke a little nasty

1 Like