Building a Super Soil

Thanks guys it looks like its not that simple which is what I kind of figured, and I did expect"strain dependant" to pop up, with all their particular preferences for feeding.
Its just that I’d like to get some kind of a handle on soil growing before trying other media.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever had many issues during veg but I have during flower.

That’s where nutrient teas come in. They have solved my problems many times. The first soil I ever made was the one SubCool shared. It worked great, I used that on my first few grows and had good results. Clackamas Coots is another one. I’d say both are reliable.

A high quality base mix is the best place to start. There are plenty of alternative nutrients if some of the listed ones aren’t available in your area. Compare the different NPK values can give you a good idea. I always get feather meal instead of blood meal and insect frass instead if crab meal.

4 Likes

Thanks ImpaLa so I guess I’ll stick with the organic potting soil and perlite mix for now and experiment when I can get some of the ingredients listed by all you guys.

3 Likes

If you have a good enough soil mix, and are able to have a large enough volume of soil per plant, you won’t need to worry about different varieties (strains) feeding differently. With large enough volume of soil and a good diversity of microorganisms you’ll be fine.

A good soil mix can also depend on where you are, geographically, as some products might not be available to you locally. But there generally will be a good alternative you could source locally if you do a little research.

6 Likes

I just add a bit of organic tomato food and kelp meal to whatever soil mix I’m using. Last time it was mg organic, this time it’s roots.

5 Likes

@EugeneDebs420 ,@SonOfAvery thanks guys I think the soil I’m using is good but like you all say it needs the other ingredients to get them to harvest.

4 Likes

Currently trying 4 bags of ocean forest, 2 bags sohum living soil, and a block of coco in 3 gallon pots, 8 total… So far, they are all doing well… I’m going to try a super soil recipe that I find on here for next grow. The question is just which one? Lol

1 Like

I’m not going to be one of those guys but just be careful with that Ocean forest.I don’t know what FF did with that soil but it has been getting hotter and hotter.I was informed they use man made nitrogen base and spray it into that soil.Be careful I burned a shit ton of plants this year with that stuff.

3 Likes

Noted… I don’t think I’ll be using it again. I already had most of this I had been preparing for a grow. But it’s too expensive for my taste anyways.

1 Like

This is the mix I have been using with good success for a few years now. Other then seedlings this is what all my plants are in.

After trying the Organic version for awhile and not being happy with it , I have returned to this https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/

To every 7 gal of pro mix I add the following.

2 cups of EWC
1/2 cup of Gaia Green Power Bloom
1/4 cup of Gaia Green Fishbone meal
1/4 cup of Gaia Green Alfalfa meal
1/3 - 1/2 cup of crushed oyster shells

I water for the first time with Blackstrap at 1 TBS per gallon prior to transplanting into the 7 gal smart pouch and flipping, and again usually anywhere from week 4-6 of flowering.
I have found the above mix to work great for all but the heaviest feeders. I also tend to try to give the least nutes possible instead of pumping them with as much as possible. I would rather my plants fade early then not at all.

6 Likes

If you’re gonna spend money on amendments then get ground hemp seed powder.
About the same price as kelp/seaweed.

Or go for a walk and gather dandelion, thistle, nettles, grass, tree leaves and mix that with your soil. Bananapeels are great too.

All free and loaded with minerals.

Keep it simple and always remember that every single company wants your money first and foremost.

3 Likes

Why do you want a super soil? You don’t. Without doubt the best results come from a mix that does not change the entire grow, aka a starter mix, light mix, etc. Get the biggest pots you can. There’s no reason to skimp on roots and fuck things up with nutes.

I’m doing the 2nd trial, just to prove everyone wrong:

Day 9. Full strength Coots mix in red. Half strength in blue (with micros/trace added back). I predict massive yields in every blue pot,and shitty smoke in every red pot. Because that’s what happened last time. Cannabis growers over apply NPK, even the hippies who talk shit on NPK.

1 Like

Thanks WestcoastCroppers I’m interested to see how your side by side works out, the coots formula seems popular.

1 Like

I use 5gal fabric pots, do you consider that too small?

Used both, Like subcools the best

1 Like

@Jango If you haven’t gotten your name on the list for some of Johnny Potseeds Frankenstein x PPP seeds you should hurry over and do so. It’s on his three ring circus thread that is back open to all.

1 Like

You too @bassman5420 . Frankenstein is a strain that he developed some 20+ years ago. He said nobody has ever been burned out on it. It always delivers!

2 Likes

Hell ya, I am super stoked to try it. :+1:

1 Like

It’s on the Three ring circus thread of JohnnyPotseed’s

I used to go to town on making various super soils over the years… Recently and what I’ve been really happy with for my pots is 1/3 Canadian peat, 1/3 worm castings and 1/3 aeration using clay aggregate or hydro pellets. Top dress with the amendment mix being Alfalfa, kelp, gypusm, calcitic lime, rock dust, soft rock phosphate or bone meal and blended barley and a tad more worm castings. Water, mulch over and wait 30 days all while keeping the substrate hydrated.
I’ve found this simple easy and effective.

4 Likes