Building computers

I recently got a free desktop. Its a lenovo and its pretty slim. Im gonna take it apart and turn it into a computer for making music. Anyone else ever build a computer from scratch or upgrade an old one? Id love to see or hear about it!

4 Likes

My easy build… nothing complicated, just folding components.

2 Likes

Not for many years, I have a associates degree in electronics.

3 Likes

Hi Lotus,

Hehehe Im in the same boat as you were not long ago free and single again.

Yeah man I build my own.

I run a desktop I7 overclocked to 4.6ghz with 16gb 1866 dominator ram over clocked too, cooled by a liquid cooler on a maximus extreme mother board, nothing mega for gpu a 8Gb evga gtx 1080Ti, twin ssd hard drives running raid plus 2 x 2 tb 7200rpm all sata 3 hard rives 6gb/s, 7 in 1 card reader, usb 3.0, overclocking gadget for live streaming readings to laptop etc

I built a liquid cooled machine for my friend not long ago hes a musician, guitar player, song writer composer and uses his new machine and many other gadget sfor that purpose producing music.

I also used to build script mining rigs with 6 gpus and 2 power packs to dry the washing heat the house, and mint my alt coins to trade in to btc years ago.

Triple monitor system 3 x 32 " screens.

Currently using my old I3 hp laptop as all my stuff is packed in storage for house renovations currently going on, its a head ache, i hate small keyboards and laptops. i miss my machine amongst other things :laughing::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Haha, Nothing mega for a GPU! It’s only the fastest single gaming GPU that you can currently buy!!! And it can be your for a mere $800+ I’ll trade you my “MEGA” gtx 1060 for your non mega gtx 1080ti… Haha
I’m sorry I could not help but respond to that one, Since it is in fact the fastest gaming GPU you can buy on planet earth right now!:vulcan:

3 Likes

Haha… Most hardware shops now even have special section for cryptocurrency miners :slight_smile: …

I’ve bought also some top of the line 700$ model of GPU from nVidia because I had to run some statistics computation in parallel… After about a year I was done and didn’t need the GPU card anymore I sold it… The funny thing is that I sold it for more than I have bought it, because out of sudden, prices increased due to some scarcity of chips :slight_smile: … So you never know, maybe it is good investment… haha…

Sure, I always build my own PCs from custom components. I prefer to know what exactly components and brands I’m using… You can also learn a lot in the process and once you’ve got some experience there is no problem with hardware that can surprise you :slight_smile: (and you can save on repairs).

Lately I prefer to build specially quiet and well cooled PCs to serve as home server and media station. For this I can recommend great PC cases from Thermaltake (e.g. Versa) and cooling from Noctua (e.g. NOCTUA NH-D15). These can be tuned so it is all low speed and quiet and at the same time provides sufficient cooling to extend life time of all temp sensitive components (CPU, HDDs, SSDs).

And I’ve also learned not to underestimated regular maintenance like cleaning inside, washing dust filters and keeping all vents in proper shape. That really helps to prevent overheating and have stable system (of course using Linux) with longest uptimes.

1 Like

I liberated some btc for it when it came out, i dont use it for gaming at all but for my movie watching, and multi screens.

I removed 3 x evga GTX660ti and replaced with one card instead of 3 running together.

Hi @LemonadeJoe,

When i was mining I had a turn around on graphics cards (gpus) of 100 days, buy it mine with it sell it in 100 days, just as they became popular and in demand. I also used to get anywhere between 50-125% of purchase price on my second hand gpus on ebay lol still under manufacturers warranty :wink::sunglasses:

It was always getting the sixth card to run in in tandem with the other 5, I even used to use the onboard graphics port to get the last bit out of every card.

A bit of hassle on some MBs but possible with tweaking 6 gpus running full titl and the on board gpu port displaying the stats of that rig.

Who remembers bits be trippin on you tube pmsl.

Yeah I also bought a used used AMD RX 480 for $100 off of craigslist and then about 6 months ago I saw they went up in value due to shortage of supply for the crypto miners I turned around and sold it within 30 minutes of posting it on Ebay for $430 Haha

God damn. This excites me. This piece i got cant get much upgrades done to it. Its a flip up design so everything is really packed in there. Cant fit a new power supply. Cant fit anything bigger. I can add a little video card and a bit of memory. I think im just gonna get another case and take some parts from this to use.

1 Like

Maybe cpu too… from second hand if power supply done it right. HDD may be replaced. Everything depends on expectations and what is in this. I saw many pretty builds with low profile case :slight_smile: The biggest problem would be the gpu but I think at a computer for making music will be a better cpu more fundamental.

In any case, think about a good sound card. Integrated on the board mostly arent good, especialy for making music.

1 Like

why are you not doing it anymore?

Where would one look to learn about mining nowdays? I have found some videos, but from years ago. I have a lot of free space and free power just haven’t had time to investigate more on the subject. I saw a video from vice on Chinese mines that looked pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Good topic!

For music making, external soundcard is recommended.

Fast operations with big audio files require big RAM and fast SSD for scratch disk. If you can fit upgrade in you don’t need new case.

1 Like

I like the concept of lenovo yoga 720 15, ultrabook nd also gaming. desktop pc goes to sell :slight_smile:

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bitcoin and virtual cryptocurrencies

got really into this. i have a ryzen 5 1500x cpu, asrock b350 mobo. and a lzxt elite case all on route here​:joy: anyone got any ddr4 2666 ram? what about video cards?:joy:

1 Like

My build isn’t fancy but runs well.

Asus Maximus VI Impact
I7-4770k (running at factory clock because Small case)
32gb memory (can’t remember which one I bought but speed is DDR3 1866 IIRC
Antec ISK600 Mini ITX case
Samsung 256gb SSD
Antec Modular 850w gold certified power supply.
Asus GTX 1060 Turbo 6gb
Sony DL DVD burner (IIRC I got this because I was into burning copies of games for modded X360’s at the time and this had the correct moddable firmware)

Sadly… It doesn’t see much gaming use… Wifey uses it for netflix :laughing:

1 Like

ill post my build here forsure.

so far i have amds ryzen 5 1500x cpu, asrock b350 pro4 mobo, and nxzts elite VR case. i just need memory and graphics card and ill be able to get it all setup. should be good for VR gaming too!:slight_smile: