C-Rex Cretaceous Cannabis Cave

Nice new diary @Cannasaurusrex
Sorry for this digression…

Even before I was hit by a car in Nov 2015, I was already downsizing my grows indoors and outdoors.
And as a result of my injuries, I started using even smaller containers. Yield has not been a concern of mine for many years now, as I grow primarily for myself these days. So priorities are now variety, quality and portability. I prefer to use the sun mostly, and move the plants throughout the day for as much direct sun as possible. So I am constantly moving plants.
When I first began to chase the sun, I used mostly 5 gallon containers, then I went down to 3 gallon size and kept using them for many years. Nowadays the largest containers I use are only 2 gallons. But the majority I currently use are 1 gallon or smaller. Certainly the yield/size of plants is greatly diminished, but the tiny containers are so much easier for me to move, and with these small containers I just grow more plants. However, the big problem with really small containers is that they need much more frequent watering/feeding, probably more than most growers would tolerate having to do without automation. Because I am mostly retired, and am home most of each day, I have come to enjoy making my frequent rounds checking all of my plants(I grow lots of non cannabis plants also)
I even move/rotate my indoor plants at least once a day for more optimum light exposure and of course, watering/feeding.

I use only soil less mix and chemical nutrients, and feed with almost every watering.

11 Likes

Greenman organics Horn Dawg at 7 weeks.A bit more grow info. Kiss method when possible, I started using promix and liquid ferts and quickly transitioned to soup style organics, then learned tweaked and experimented with Bas vs, coots vs, rev, vs subcool as I learned. Finally now an 8 year old base soil mix of local soil from yard excavating, peat moss, manure and a few organic ammendments all organic certified by various agencies as a start. That pile of soil sits outside its about 3 cubic yards now, I grow all veggies an raised garden plants on the base mix. Then I use my “Proprietary super duper soil mix ammendments” (ooooh I used the word prorietary LMAO) to cook a final mix outside until ready for use in bloom. Or mix it light for seedlings. Nothing gets thrown away I just add old bloom soil into the pile in the spring and start mixing an cooking while I plant the garden. ONLY water start to finish except when re-using bloom pots. Then the top half or just old transplant hole soil is juice up with castings etc. then back into bloom with a new transplant. The soil usually goes 3 rounds in the pot before recyclling.

14 Likes

My ego drives yield, thankfully

So true, thanks @Calyxander we need (well some of us) info like this stuff going forward. The older ones here (I’m still a kid at 56, and pretty able still…) can use more about transitioning our pride and joy with us as we get less able to do the backwork. I am hoping my patient will take to this so we can continue to do it as a team (see tagline). ERR, I mean so I can have my kids (all in 20’s and able bodied) do all the lifting as I belittle their efforts LMAO. What I would appreciate is a washroom or plumbing below grade here, although I only use rain/snow water, and I don’t think wifey would like the eaves trough running into the basement??

3 Likes

A tad bit of math just for reference 1600w total power on12 plants total in room. Yeild is honestly 1.5 to 3 OZ per plant dry harvest. Average is closer to 2 oz per so…56g times 12 is 672g total . 1200 divided into 672 gives a little over 1/2 a gram per watt. HONEST shit thats the first time I ever did the math…I’m happy with that. There is obviously a lot of variables, but without ever using weight as a guideline for my grow style, is anyone keeping accurate records from their own grows over the years to chart specifically improvements in their methods, which show a direct weight gain? Soil I mean, and aside from changing inputs lights etc. just the benefit of getting better? I guess time, good pics, and a solid rep instead of numbers is really the only “proof” needed eh?
Oh did I say I ramble…my licence plate is OFFNTNGT, cheers

9 Likes

He just eats the leaves for fibre.

22 Likes

thanks so much for this info…this means a lot to me as it will save me money on buying more leds

my dog does the same thing…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll post my ghetto style cloning machine (Ha ha ha) in a bit, along with growroom pics and some more fan electrial stuff if anyone wants to know perhaps I should tally costs of set-up. I’m positive I have spent way more money on seeds, than all of my equipment.

4 Likes

bloom jungle

14 Likes

Lucky 7’s at 7 weeks, Leaf edges on uppers on one side yellowing, upper bud leaves a bit clawed neighbouring plants good all same growing medium etc. any guesses?? I know the problem BTW, just a morning quiz…

11 Likes

I guess magnesium for the prize

2 Likes

It is showing as a deficiency, but the actual problem was light burn for a couple days during 2 blackouts. Fan sync was off and room got to 92 degrees F with 85% humidity over one night. She’s ugly but OK. Problem diagnosis in plants can be misleading, as we see symptoms (ie. lockout) of an underlying problem, We see the plant reaction to bad input as the problem itself, instead of investigating the why. I know my soil mix has all macros and micros available, so really no nutrient deficiencies will be a problem. Lockout and mobile nutrient migration occurs in my plants, usually due to: Improper watering and uneven light distribution. I also wrestle with an ever changing VPD and a cool growroom temp in winter (cold roots=slower growth). I don’t want to put a 1000w heater in there (also why no LED for me), so shit happens an I learn and grow on.

6 Likes

Adding cal/ mag or epsom salts to correct would have been…well…counterproductive, to say the least.

1 Like

would not worry to much as long as its damage done in the past …has it hurt the bud size at all? …how long does she need to go yet ?

2 Likes

I have seeds, if you want some…lots of seeds, mostly tested, old Querkle male. In Canada but I’ll post anywhere.

3 Likes

About 3 weeks, maybe longer. Bloom room floor level maxes out at 22 C when lights on if it is below -10 outside, I find its a week an a half slower with longer 10-11 wk strains than if I ran temps in the 25-26 degree range. 80-90 days from flip to finish for me during winter, I get some good colors often.

2 Likes

have heat in the bathroom i flower in … heard that flowering at lower temps makes for better smoke …not sure if thats true …moved my clones upstairs where it is warmer so they would grow faster …am in a situation where i need them to go fast as there are two medical people i am supplying and right now its hand to smoke and am not able to cure properly…

2 Likes

I think this is a fine idea. I recently estimated that my cost per grow is around $200. Don’t want to think of the setup costs though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You just gave me the best idea for a large diy carbon filter!!! Thanks much!!!

2 Likes

I cut a 6 in intake hole near the bottom and put a small piece of wire screen over the hole, and cut the outlet hole near the top on the opposite end. Fill with untreated lump charcoal (or activated is you have $) and attach hoses. putting fan on outbound side. I use another same design outdoors under my deck, I just swiss cheesed the top and blow thru from indoors. Change the charcoal when the smell gets noticeable… I was looking up the difference between charcoal and activated charcoal. Correct me if I’m wrong but the difference is the activate charcoal has been aerated for more porousity. hence more surface area. Reg is fine especially when the bin has about 10lbs of charcoal in it. When you change the charcoal, add it to your compost= free bio char, humates etc. Crush it or leave it just don’t waste it. Char is trending LOL.Glad to help anyone out here.

6 Likes

I’m gonna post my cheap ass cloner today, should I post on this thread or put a new one in growroom design thread? I’ll keep it here so I remember… Grow diary of sorts once I get all this set-up outta the way. I’ll do a weekly update on the plants and just banter on this thread in between plant progress shots.

4 Likes