Can a plant with seeds be turned into a hermaphrodite?

I came home from the store to find the power out in my area. It came back on with a few minutes. It had been out for 1 hour 3 minutes. My flowering room is full. I have seeded the Durban plants (1 is fully seeded). Are those ladies going to herm out on me? They are on their 60th day, the trikes have not turn yet. It is probably senseless to worry about, but I don’t want to be searching for super small seed formations. It’s going to be bad enough getting the mature seeds out to smoke. I hate burning seed, it gives me a headache.

2 Likes

power outage during the light cycle shouldn’t stress them too bad. Happens to me at least 3 times per grow.

2 Likes

I would think because its already seeded the hormones shouldnt hermie, and it was only 1 hour of darkness hopefully shouldnt have affected them especially that far along, some other breeders would know better but I’ve wondered the same thing, Like if you seed a plant early thats known to herm on a lower branch would it stop it from becoming a hermie ? intriguing

2 Likes

Huh thats a very good question. I’m no expert by any means but I would think it wouldn’t seeing as the plants main focus is in the seed production and not on growth. That’s just my thought but you get HOODINIs best question of the week :1st_place_medal:can’t wait to see what the experts say

1 Like

@Scissor-Hanz In this case my question is more along the lines of an FWI kind of a thing because I could always just harvest them early to avoid problems. I used to feminize my seeds by messing with the light cycle. I’d either cover a branch with a dark bag, like a pillow case, and leave it for at least 30 minutes or take the entire plant and put it in the dark for the same amount of time. Then I’d do it again 2-3 days later.

That matches my guess, but, I’m just a weed grower, not a botanist or horticulturist.

That’s where I am. I know there are some actual plant scientists here. How could there not be.

4 Likes

Hi folks.

I have an answer to if a seeded plant can herm. The answer is yes!

Take a look at my bushy phenotype Durban in the first 3 pictures of this link:

Not noticeable in the first shot. Look really close at the second shot, about an inch from the top of the plant a “banana” (pollen sack) is visible. The 3rd shot is a closeup of a bud from the plant that had a banana. This plant had 4 seeded branches.

Fortunately, the plant was so far along its flowering cycle that there could only be tiny, immature seeds if any.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the knowledge we thank you for your sacrifice :wink:

1 Like

It sure wasn’t what I was expecting…

1 Like

A plant that is seeded could have been hermaphroditic all along.

Can we be certain it happened after seeding as opposed to having had the tendency all along?

People breed with Thai strains all the time, and they are just prone to that.

1 Like

I can be certain the the pollen sacks showed up shortly before harvest. I did not see any full flowers, just about 10-15 banana shaped pollen sacks sprinkled about the plant. Interestingly, they only showed up on branches that had not been seeded. The one that had them was the shorter, bushier plant. I didn’t see any on the columnar type plant.

If that is the case, it is probably the reason for it.