Found a hermie in a pack, what does that mean?

Hi, I was thinking about a plant I cut a week ago but wanted to get feedback from the OG crew to get a bit of clarity based on their experience.

So, if a seed variety had a hermie in 1 of 11 seeds I popped, does it mean that the genetics have hermie traits? Just wondering because I’ve seeded the batch to preserve for a later run, and never dealt with the hermie issue.

Thanks for any advice OG fam!

2 Likes

One of 11 is not bad really… if youre looking at keeping that said strain around, rather look at choosing the best of the 10 that didn’t herm. As far as cannabis goes hermi genes are all over the place and getting more and more common, and most strains now have a chance of switching on you.
Not sure if this answers your question or helps…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t take my eye off of the females after flip :eye:

99%

9 Likes

I agree with @99PerCent and @Sunvalley. . . .buttttttt and it’s a big one, even if one 1 out of 11 hermie that means intersexing is a recessive gene and it could pop up in any of your crosses at anytime. . .if that’s not something that bothers you then I’ll be “rooting” for you!:+1:

2 Likes

The real problem begins when you get two herms out of 10~11 seeds. One is just an exemption, something out of control, an isolated event if you will.

When something happens once, it is possible it happens again; but when something happens twice, for sure it will happen a third time.

• H. Trismegistus. Emerald Table.
9 Likes

A bit more info would help… Was this indoors?
Perhaps a light leak. Had one branch hermie when all around was fine.
Also, what do you mean by Hermie? Was it the entire plant, as in each and
every branch, or was it just a couple of nanners you found late in flower?

7 Likes

Agreed 1000% … I went through what seemed an endless tunnel of hermaphrodism at one stage of my life haha… oh man its no fun and definitely no good.

2 Likes

WE have all been there brother. . . Right @Lucy247420

1 Like

does it mean that the genetics have hermie traits?

Absolutely. But bad news, stats based on 11 seeds is not enough to known what’s going on.
To extrapolate a ten bag is a very bad thing than i firmly don’t advise, but i will do it to explain only.

1 herm on 11 specimens, it’s barely 10%. So in a perfect world (than don’t exist), it’s the minimal rate to consider a line as risky on every “ten bags”. 5% being a safe QC red line to give you a ladder.

But without doing 10 more rounds, who known … maybe it’s the only one herm on 100 or 50 or 30, or maybe it’s a little start than will become quickly exponential with each successive generations … etc

Without pushing the things to silly extrems in speaking about a minimal amount of 1K seeds to discourage everyone to make theyr own seeds, i agree to say than a batch of 30-50 seeds is enough to start to get a decent pattern of a line. So three to five rounds with the same seeds generation if i consider than you can push ~11 seeds at a time.

I don’t remember exactly the breeder who said that back in the days (more on 50), DJ short i think but not sure. I introduce myself the range 30-50 in the answer because it will depend mostly on the background of the strain in question, its inherent generation and its inherent quality.

Maybe some will cry about that maybe but you obviously need less seeds to draw the pattern of a good F1 or a good BX than with more risky projects (3way, risky cuts selfed or direct outcrosses, open pollination etc…).

But herm is for a part a trait like all others (potency, yield, flowering time …). This single herm can be considered in many way without further investigations :

• 1 mutation on 11 rockstable specimens
  • 1 “declaration” on 11 latent herms
  • 1 “declaration” on 5 latent herms and 5 rocktable specimens
  • etc …

Conclusion : overgrow your space two more generations with it ( a good half year in a row if you don’t like to track what you do), then you will exactly known what is going on and what to do.

3 Likes

My apologies, here’s more details… It was the only one out of all plants in my 3 rooms that did this, I pulled it as a male at first from the flower room along with the others and moved it over. It was the entire plant, every node had male flowers yet a few calyxes at the based of the node where the pistils turned red (I guess since they got pollinated)

It is indoor, in a spare bedroom then moved to a closet opposite side of the house.

However, 1 in 11 of the particular strain (Pizookies = Mint Chocolate Chip x Starfighter, Exotic Genetix 2018 release)

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Sounds like there wasn’t much you could do about it once
it happened. But out of 11 that’s not too bad. Only plan for 50% F/m ratio and
sometimes end up with more females than have room for in flower box.

If you liked the way it - grew - tasted - then go for more if you have the seeds.
Hunting a strain like that you only want THE ONE if you find it, to clone forever…

2 Likes

Sorry for bombing this post but I have a typical Meesh stupid question and I didn’t want to start a new herm thread… If say my neighbor up the street decides to grow out a herm it can pollinate my entire outdoor grow right? If I in turn grew my plants out would all of the seeds be hermies or would it now just have a chance that it’s offspring would be hermies?

3 Likes

Yes it could get to your plants, yes the her trait would be more prevailing… But it’s really more a question of why your neighbors plant hermed… was it stress or was it a natural intersexing plant?

3 Likes

This is a hypothetical question, so they have both. What happens?

3 Likes

Natural intersexing or having both sets of flowers from the start would be extremely problematic a d hard to get away from…

If it was a stress factor like heat or transplant or bugs or late life, it would be easier to control the variable and keep them from doing so to the best of your ability…they could all herm, but that’s possible with any strain

3 Likes

but growing one outdoors knowing it was a herm is still a pretty shitty thing to do, regardless, Right? Either one could screw up your neighbors grow. So if it was a true herm, you are saying it would herm seed your whole female plant or just a higher possibility of herm seeds?

3 Likes

Depending on how close it would depend on wind direction but you will almost definitely get seeds…complete dick move to do yes

The couple times I’ve done outdoor grows my plants have popped seeds where the original preflowers calyces we’re but I think it was more of a preservation effort…

If it was a true herm from the start then yes the genes are all over in the progeny

3 Likes

So what’s with the prevalence of herms lately? I didn’t even know it was a thing until a couple weeks ago.

I’ve had very few herms in my life but a friend who’s going through lots of new beans lately said that pretty much all of them herm on him a bit.

3 Likes

Honestly, I asked because one of my friends invited me to a fb group and I’ve never seen more bad advice and newbies trying to grow out herms… I think it’s because of legalization. Everyone can grow now, so everyone is doing it and unwittingly passing around a lot of bad genes. I’m really starting to see a social media trend. It’s kinda scary and gross in a disrespectful of the plant itself and others kind of way.

3 Likes

Which is why I stay off social media when it comes to the plants… Too much hype… “look at my “strains” I have it’s GG4 breed with 20 different strains so it’s dank as fuck!” Lol

I get my info here and if people truly want to learn, or at least stop growing seedy weed, they’ll go somewhere thats more informative haha

3 Likes