Can I save it? Girl Scout Cookies Extreme is very sick

Doubt it. It was growing fine, everything else is growing fine. Cannabis roots in desert clay, I doubt you packed that light appearing soil mix too tight.

If the soil was overpacked this won’t have helped either with the overwatering , the defol will have stressed the plant further and also reduced the plants ability to remove the excess from the pot too

4 Likes

But I just flushed it TODAY, and the photos of the sick plant are from before and after the flush. The only other time it was watered is the day I transplanted it on March 23.

As I stated, I think I packed the soil too tightly when I planted her into soil. On the same day I moved her to soil, I happened to post an update to another thread of mine that described what I had done, and that I planned to give them a week or so to get over their shock before I moved them to my flowering room. I think the tight soil caused more shock than normal (poor aeration, damaged roots, etc.) which is why it’s failing.

2 Likes

Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck…

1 Like

Hmmm…so when I started the flushing process, the water sat on top of the soil and barely soaked in. It took forever for just a few ounces to be absorbed. That’s why I aerated it, and there was a lot of resistance to me pushing the skewer through the soil.

@vernal, I appreciate your confidence that I didn’t pack the soil too tightly, but I still suspect that’s where I screwed up. Now that the soil is aerated and the water drains at a normal rate, we’ll see.

1 Like

:+1: you too, @Grohio

I was thinking root rot cause of the smell you described.

3 Likes

I think you did right, it’s the same philosophy as with clones, when you trim or half cut all the big leaves. The plant needs too much energy to recover all those big fan leaves. It happened to me after a transplant shock :

I trimmed all the big fan leaves and topped her,

she recovered and now here she is:

11 Likes

Good job Doctor George

3 Likes

I swear she had a tough life behind :sweat:,. Was in a hydro starter, didn’t want to transplant her on soil as I went travel and couldn’t arouse her. Some days later, when I was back found her like this:

Too close for comfort! :sweat_smile: If the new growth in yours is fine as it was in mine, she will hopefully recover, best wishes for it … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Did you check the ph and ppm runoff?

could it be root rot?

1 Like

The canopy leaves are clean, the stems are clean and you recently transplanted her from hydro into soil? Then, by process of elimination, it’s a root problem. It even looks like it has a root problem, to be honest.

There should be no sour smell to the runoff at all. It it smells bad, that could be root rot. It didn’t get root rot in that container in 11 days, unless the roots were buried in one clump and not spread outward, then watered well… If this is not the case, then it most likely already had it when it was transplanted into the medium and went unnoticed.

When transplanting, it’s a good idea to give the roots a good looking over and cut out any broken/damaged roots back to healthy tissue, only using sterilized scissors/pruners/knife whatever you like… just make sure it’s sterilized so you don’t inadvertently spread the rot to healthy roots and the root will repair itself.

If root rot is noticed, it should be cut out completely… everything that is brown/black or soft & slimy should be completely eliminated and the roots washed and treated before transplanting. 1 oz. Hydrogen peroxide mixed into a quart of water should do the trick for treating the rot.

Hard-packing the soil around the roots will damage the roots and this is not needed to pack soil… instead, tamp the soil around the roots and use water to pack the soil down and around the roots. Water is gentle… roots like gentle.

Roots only absorb water/nutrients with their tips, so be careful not to damage the root tips when transplanting.

6 Likes