Can people get ill from a grow room?

I believe that my White widow is giving me heart palpitations when it starts flowering. Has anyone else ever experienced this. I even went through all of the tests for my heart issues. AFTER I harvested. I seemed to get well…Now I have a white widow flowering and my palpitations are back…It’s in Rdwc…so putting it out isn’t a solution.

This is unusual.

Are you using CO2?

1 Like

Nope…Even the wife is set on me nuking this plant…I have my outdoors under way. I was hoping to cross the would be female Lemon Zkittles with it. So now if this dang lemon goes rouge male then bye bye w.w.

1 Like

It is unusual that exposure to a grow would cause heart issues.

The increased light should not be a problem, the increased oxygen during daylight should be good for you. Maybe just the excitement of flowering cannabis. I can’t say it has hurt me, but I get excited about gardening. I would guess that it is totally unrelated and you should continue to follow up on your cardiac care. My opinion.

It wasn’t my fault!

4 Likes

I believe that it is a very unique coincident that when my plants are flowering my heart acts up…Hmm…is it time for Doctor client confidentiality…I have looked into this for Five months… Haven’t been able to find similar cases that fashion themselves around grow rooms.

1 Like

First I have ever heard of such a condition too. I think it is not related.

1 Like

Who is educated about Terpenes.?.I would like to better understand these amazing cells.that make the oils…

1 Like

heart palpitations from being around a flowering plant, that seems crazy. How much are you around it during the day - are you able to smell it all day long? What happens when you smoke or vape the weed itself?

If it’s some bizarre reaction to terpenes in the air then a carbon filter could solve the problem. The only other possibility I can think of would be a reaction to the RFI coming out of the flowering lamp (EMF radiation from the ballast). have to think that is very unlikely though.

4 Likes

This is a partial chart. Others should eventually add more info.

Good luck with the cardio, and don’t stop seeing your Dr

2 Likes

There are a few unusual things about a grow, but normally these are not an issue. Increased humidity can cause cardio issues. Maybe the odors, and possible exposure to spores. Who knows, but yes, it is most unusual that it would affect one’s heart.

2 Likes

Than you 99…I actually am just the farmer…Wife is the enthusiast…What she wants she gets… Started indoor gardening after a 12 year break…That was around Three grows ago…These last two have/ had W.W. AND MIGHT I ADD GREAT PRODUCERS…First of the year my condition started…So the last six weeks I felt great.With the stink comes the palps…The widow only gets stronger everyday…Pew…I prefer the Cat Piss. . It smells like pee before flower then settles to almost nothing you ever been around…Bold yet easy on the nose…

are you in an illegal state? could it just be anxiety from the strong odor… worrying about people smelling it maybe? or feeling like you can’t have people over because it stinks? i’ve never heard of that before. is it only when you flower the WW? have you flowered other plants without this issue? do you switch bulbs/lamps from veg to flower? maybe your ballast is emitting infrasound which you can’t hear but interferes with your heart.

if it’s from anxiety perhaps smoking a bit of cannabis could help. might help even if its not.

A scientist working at Sydney University’s Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory reports growing evidence that infrasound may affect some people’s nervous system by stimulating the vestibular system, and this has shown in animal models an effect similar to sea sickness.[36]

2 Likes

Likely unrelated, but sometimes I feel WEIRD when I’m under very high intensity HPS.

1 Like

If you dont have a carbon filter, I would add one. If its is safe, you could also try venting the tent air to the outside of the house?

1 Like

under hps I’m bad but it strobes and I previously had seizures. (Not all in a grow room I must add) but if it’s just flowering for this guy it definitely seems to be non light related.
When I smoke widow. Particularly early I get a racing heart. As with most early buds maybe you’re coming into contact with the trichs and ingesting whilst they’re not finished properly. Just hazarding a guess with the last bit

2 Likes

I’m not sure…Am going to move the Widow to another location…Yes…I have grown out plenty of other strains without incident…Darn near everyone I know has a grow tent. I’m the only one with Widow. As earlier posts I do have an outdoor haven going. But this is in hydroponic…I’ll find it a home and let y’all know if my palps go away again…

2 Likes

I grow in the small crawl space under my house. I have always worried about radon gas. Radon is not a common problem in my region, but I think I will buy a test kit at Lowes just to see. I think about this when I feel funny or not so good after gardening.

I can get vertigo if I work in the LED lights for a long time without my shades on.

$0.02

2 Likes

(all of the above-mentioned acknowledged)

if it is repeatable(sounds like it), try a couple safe experiments:

• observe your breathing. i even forget to. yeah. increased co2 leads your body to “think its drowning”. drowning causes anxiety. :wink:

• try bringing wifey with you, for a change? see if that helps or hurts.

my un-pedigreed advice says you’re straining & probably holding in “bad air” like the 19th century quackery.

i don’t have a wifey to try this on, so let me know how it goes… (lol)

for a side tangent… the 1st thing that struck me about Subcool the Weednerd was his fucked up lungs & coughing & how i’m about 15 yrs behind him, if i keep at it. :stuck_out_tongue:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Maybe the widow is so potent that it irradiates the THC and what
you actually feel like palpitations are in fact, paranoia only!

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

How close is your lamp to the canopy? if it’s too close you can literally vaporise some of the resin glands with an hps in an open reflector, which you then breathe in while attending the plants. Does smoking the widow give you the same issues? if not then you can probably ignore my last statement although it can and does happen it usually just reduces the potency of your buds.

I too hate the strobe effect from sodium lamps driven by magnetic ballast’s which is why i eventually got a digital one to try. Not sure it can cause heart palpitation but high levels of EMF can make you ill and are given off by ALL mains lighting fixtures with digital being the worst offender. (sadly that includes LED drivers) Try an AM radio anywhere near your grow and you will hear it.

If it’s only the widow that does it then it’s not so lightly to be your setup but here is an interesting article on lighting and EMF. It supports using fixtures with an inbuilt ballast (or driver in the case of LED) and at the very least using short cables between ballast’s/drivers and the lighting fixtures. At the very least you can be tracked by the EMF your grow emits so it might be worth paying some attention to the issue.
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/library/downloads/lighting-emfs-2014-02.pdf

Stay safe bro. A

2 Likes