Can someone help with a light setup?

anyone already got plans written up they can share for a 500-550 watt 3x4(actual light dimensions), that if needed can flower a 4x4 area as well. prefer 1 driver, but i don’t wanna have to get heatsinks just aluminum channel so i was thinking the single row diodes. not sure how to get most out of using the 2footers or just use 4 footers as that is the perfect length then run 3 feet worth wide. i just don’t know how many and which driver config gives most efficiency. i am pretty “slow” when it comes to wiring and volts etc lol so any prebuilt plans someone has using thos enewer samsung strips i’d be appreciative :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Samsung quantum boards are sold on eBay for a pack of 4 equivalent to 600w you can run on one power supply and 1 controller, perfect for a 3x4ft tent. I am out at the moment, I will put links up, when I get home, if you want.

4 Likes

Please do I would love to check it out. Not very light savy myself.

4 Likes

Ok here are the links, not sure if your in CA or US they are available on both but if your in CA its cheaper to buy the US ones, and pay the postage and exchange rate the last time I checked.

They come in different light frequencies most of the growers I know who have built them use the 4000k. For both veg and flower. You have to be quick as they dissappear fast when they come in. I think you can get them to email you when they are back in stock.

The only thing that was cheaper in Canada was the voltage controller. Digital-Monitor-LCD-Watt-Meter-60V-100A-DC-Ammeter-RC-Battery-Power-Amp-Analyzer thumbnail 1

One guy used a shop light and screwed arms and a rail on either side and put them on each corner. another guy daisy chained 6 in a row for a long narrow light in an aluminum right angle frame.

3 Likes

There are some now being made up with everything you need at a reasonable cost. Double check that though before buying, from the Q and A section it looks as they do. Your going to pay a bit more for them being ready built.

2 Likes

Here’s some Samsung 4’ strips.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8T341B20WW/1510-1423-ND/5992256

You can run 14 off this driver
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/HLG-480H-C1400B/1866-2557-ND/7704101

On paper it outputs close to a 600w HPS.

4 Likes

[quote=“DavesNotHere, post:6, topic:19231”]
On paper it outputs close to a 600w HPS.

Is this lumens per watt or just watts?
Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 158 lm/W

2 Likes

Lumens per watt. Both the strips and hortilux 600 are both 158lm/w.

I run the smaller 2’ strips in veg with no heatsink and no issues.

4 Likes

you know more than me about led’s i would assume, but that is just over 500 diodes. i can build the strips with over 1000 diodes for a 3x4 or 4x4. i feel ilke two four backs of what you recommend is needed for the kinda flower i am am after. i alread flower using way more par than that 260w HLG 4 pack emits, i am not looking to go backwards in that dept, i am trying to acheive the brightest possible chamber with the most even spread. that solution doesn’t seem to fit my needs tho i appreciate the effort for sure. i would consider 2 of those 4 packs but then i am gettinginto the same price as the strips anyway, maybe more. in case you are not aware the diodes are identical on the strips so 500 vs 1000 is half what i was after. for example 10 for the 4ft single row F series is 86700 lumens which is baisclaly the same as an hps. basically i was trying to keep those lumens roughly. yes ik lumens are a bad measurement but it’s something

2 Likes

this is the answer i was looking for thank you, but i want to apply it to the F series strips and i wanted to know why nobody uses the 600w driver and instead go with the 480 and a 240. i want to use one driver here is what i am looking to do atm, can you comment

10x Samsung F-Series LT-FB22B 4′ SI-B8V521B20WW Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. | Optoelectronics | DigiKey
1x meanwell HLG-600H-48B HLG-600H-48B MEAN WELL USA Inc. | Power Supplies - External/Internal (Off-Board) | DigiKey

**my issue is this uses 2 xtra strips than the sample 4x4 build on led gardner and will require a second driver or a bigger drever. i decided to look at their 5x5 builds to see which driver if i wanted just one, but they all use 2 drivers. i would rather use one per light if feasable.
so is there a reason i should not be doing this single driver for those 10 strips? also can i get away with aluminum channel only no heatsinks with this build? if so how thick for the aluminum? mytemporary closet flower room runs pretty cool now with around 600w real draw of mars hydro lights(4 in total) and too hot with my 600w hps to give you folks of the temp situation. basically i should be fine temp wise in the room, just wanna know if there is an issue with build itself

2 Likes

You can go that route with the 600. You’d need 11 strips wired in parallel. All the strips will get the needed 48v and equally split the 12.5A between them. Which come out to like 1.3+/-.2A each. Safely close to the test current, so you shouldn’t need heatsinking. If you do you can always rivet on some aluminum strips.

The reason most people run the 480&240 is because those drivers are constant current drivers. With them you wire the strips in series, and because of that if one strips happens to burn out the rest will still run at the same power.

When wiring in parallel if one strip fails the strips on the hot side (power in) of the fail will equally split the full load of the driver usually causing them to burn out as well. The strips on the fail side besides the initial fail will be fine tho.

3 Likes

thank you so much. short and clear as i like my answers.

3 Likes