Can someone identify insect?

Hoping these are beneficial . Covered soil with
Wollastonite and they showed up like crazy . They are stupid fast . Flung these off my skin into shot glass of iso or else pictures would be impossible. Any ideas ?

7 Likes

@Waxman420

I hope that helps :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s honestly a new one to me, but interested to hear the ID if anyone can come up with one

Kind of looks like a baby cockroach. I hope I’m wrong

2 Likes

Could be a ground beetle……. There are several different types of them,

2 Likes

Yes, some kind of spider beetle …

Captura

4 Likes

The pictures are not very clear so it’s hard to make a determination. Due to its dark brown coloration these pics at first appear to resemble a spider beetle. But once we look closer we can see that a couple pics show a set of chelicerae between the front feelers so that makes it more likely resemble a soil mite… Possibly Phytoseiulus persimilis. In general, with mites, If they infest your soil they are fine. If you see them making webs on your leaves they are bad.

5 Likes

Almost looks like a tick of some sort…maybe a non carnivorous type…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

If being fast moving is a clue that it is a predator mite of some kind. I’ll put a guess on Stratiolaelaps Scimitus.

hp10

5 Likes

I don’t think so only because I’ve had/ seen the above and hypoasis miles and californicus. It could be the califoricus im gonna email the local beneficial supplier .

If your in Essex County hell even Ontario these guys have always went above and beyond.

How can I upload videos anyone ?

Live pictures on a plate

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for the better pics. With the extended feelers, used for foraging detritus, and longer rear legs I will change my initial consideration of a P. Persimilis to that of a Stratiolaelaps scimitus.

5 Likes

I would like to agree. A good bug. As a natural predator of fungus gnat pupae….

Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly Hypoaspis miles) is a small (0.5 mm) light brown mite that lives in the top 1⁄2 inch (13 mm) layer of soil.

3 Likes

Anyone have any idea what this beetle is?Found two in the last week should I leave it or kill it?dont want to kill things that eat others .

2 Likes

Never mind North American Tarnish bug fuckers dead now.Bug mode here we go Saponins coming my way

1 Like

Looks like not a good bug

1 Like

Not good at all I have prepared a batch of soap nut drench soaking in my shed as we speak.I’m going to melt thier bug ass wax cuticles off with the saponins if there is any that is two in all those plants in a week isn’t a full blown infest but I’m going to definitely be proactive

1 Like

Anyone know what these are?

After watering my soil, they came to the surface & were roaming all over the rice-hull mulch.

1 Like

Looks like they may be springtails:

1 Like