Bug identification is there any entomologist?

Hey folk’s, I’ve tried to Google a description of this but I couldn’t find anything even close.

It’s not a problem or a pest afaik, I’ve only ever found one and I’ve had no problems since then (last spring)
I’m more curious about it, it’s an unusual critter and it’s not a bad idea to rule it out as a potential pest?
20240316_234526
It’s about half the size of a springtail, I found it in a sample of run off from coco dtw?

It didn’t pause for a second so i could get a clear photo so I apologise for the quality.

This is some other creatures in the run off.
2023_1029_020451_923_1
I didn’t think a drop of run off could be so interesting :face_with_monocle:

Cheers

15 Likes

fuckin awesome shots. Technology man…
chat gpt
“Microscopic crustaceans found in freshwater that are roughly half the size of springtails are commonly referred to as water fleas. These organisms belong to the order Cladocera and are characterized by their small size and swimming movements. They are an important part of freshwater ecosystems, serving as food for various aquatic organisms and playing a role in nutrient cycling.”

8 Likes

I think tiny aquatic life is so so so cool! I’m not especially knowledgeable, but this is a great book :smiley:

9 Likes

I think the first one is an acarus:

The rest look like springtails, no worries about them … beer3|nullxnull

11 Likes

That would be great I’m going to see if I can find a copy, I think it’s so cool aswell, it probably seems a bit weird to some that i hook up my TV and watch a drop of run off :crazy_face:
There’s some interesting creatures, some of them move with a bit of grace, others can fk your head up trying to work out which end is the front, they can move forward or back with equal speed and agility :face_with_monocle:

Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

One of the all time funnest things I’ve done, first as a kid and then as a teacher, was to take a big scoop of pond muck with a bunch of water and plop it in a small empty aquarium with a bubbler in one corner for airation. Let it settle and just watch all the creatures emerge and go about their lives for a while. Mind expanding!

10 Likes

Was gonna tag @George but he beat me here! Very cool

2 Likes

I’ve put my sd card into my phone but it’s stopping my sim card working?
I’ll get it sorted and post some other pics, heres a few ive posted previously.
7b5ce035ba7392a6415e3b4bd92de349c06c4822_2_183x500 2e028f0299f71bda90173559bf7b632667842af7_2_674x499 4dbdd936befb7d525092efbb897f408cacef1649_2_495x499 aceff676a34f7e0d4ba1b24d1a2cd727b476f74a_2_341x500 Screenshot_20231128_214227_Gallery

7 Likes

Fun channel and video if you love what’s going on in run off water, ponds, and water in general :metal:t2:

4 Likes

Thank you @DirtySlowToes for posting that video, I really enjoyed watching it, it’s very interesting.

2 Likes

Pretty scary :see_no_evil:, I prefer the happiness of the ignorant … :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Put sd card into a pc and format it to fat32. If your phone is also dual sim like most are these days move your sim into the other sim slot. :+1::v:
Wtf are them pictures?? They look scary.

4 Likes

Holy shit. That’s cool as hell. How did you get those shots?

2 Likes

Man… now I want a microscope.

2 Likes

Microscopes are really interesting tools but like @George said ignorance can be bliss.
Idk what’s there, it could be good/bad or indifferent idk.
Ultimately the plants say it all but its something I’d rather not concern myself with.

@Esrgood4u thank you bud, unfortunately I don’t have a pc these days, even my ipad is locked up because I’ve not used it in ages and idk what my apple iD is?
Previously when I put the sd card into my phone it worked with a little persuasion now it won’t register at all.

Idk the names of the creatures other than the springtails or spider mite.

@PadawanWarrior hey bud, i bought the microscope years back but looking into the eyepiece for long periods gets sore on the face lol.

Last year I bought a digital camera for it that fits the microscope, it’s a pleasure to use now having it hooked up to a screen/tv

A few random pic’s.

Springtails springy thingy.

Spider mite.

I had some cracking footage of foliar/water with and without a wetting agent on spider mite, i deleted the whole fkg folder by accident :slightly_frowning_face:
Without a wetting agent the hairs on spider mite create a safety bubble (surface tension) and they don’t even get wet.

With a wetting agent the water completely engulfs them and they drown.

It sounds unlikely but I cleared up spider mite with two applications of wetting agent, I didn’t allow for the eggs the 1st time so I used H202 the next time and haven’t seen them since that was last spring.
Spider mite eggs on a pin.

My main point being whatever you use on bugs/pests be sure to use a wetting agent or dish soap.

7 Likes

Man I want one of those microscopes. That shit is cool as hell. And nice info about the spider mites. That’s good stuff to know.

3 Likes

A few more pics.

Top photo that same mite, 2nd pic is a springtail the 3rd pic down is transpiration, 4th a pistols and 5th the most unusual trich I’ve ever seen.

Pre prepared slides I got with the microscope, methylene blue Staining its pretty cool.

I’ve a few more.

6 Likes

If there is anyone that can take a look at my lil… infestation… What I see on the leaves looked like the mite in these photos. But I have a large amount of small white bugs on the surface of my soil. Using build a soil lite. Not much seen in the root zone of the plant. But definitely on the surface and some moving up the plant. I was fighting 2 spotted spider mites, but thought I was in the clear. Rotating spraying JPS’ MTA Spray and Neem/Mammoth w/ Thermex70.

2 Likes

Looks like root aphids, how many legs do they have? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1-9ebaad587e444f08b8fc7d3a4f8564b9-01

With eight legs they could be soil mites:

2 Likes

It’s proving difficult to count how many legs these suckers have. I’m leaning towards Aphids with what I’m seeing.

2 Likes