Can we talk birds?

Second full day with Smokey. Could not be more happy with how docile he is. He has really, and I mean really, taken a liken to my wife. Which is a great thing! So far, he has told us good bye, hello, yes, no, thank you, hee-haw, giggles, I really like her, Love you, and peanut please. I am starting to think his vocabulary is going to be quite large. :+1:
OH! And dances to music!!

4 Likes

7 Likes

Youā€™re fine sometimes theyā€™re much more partial to either a male or female it depends on who the original handler was . McAws are extremely intelligent and learning very quickly . They could be very gentle at times and also could be wise guys

3 Likes

His original owner, from a hatcheling was a guy. He does say his name, followed by shut upā€¦lol

6 Likes

iā€™m sure i mentioned it on here somewhere, but i used to own an african grey parrot. it was a family pet and died about 5 or so years ago. i would get another bird but i donā€™t want a pet that might outlive me. circumstances and whatnot might change so itā€™s best for me to not buy one. looks like you got lucky with the one you have.

5 Likes

I think we got more than luckyā€¦lol I am still awe struck at how this is going so farā€¦lol

1 Like

Your extremely lucky that he/sheā€™s transitioned so well and taking a liking to you. They can be extremely stubborn and take months to open up to someone new. Such a beauty too! Iā€™ve only ever handled three macaws in my life, all were scarlet or green wing, so a bit bigger lol.
Iā€™ve had my peach fronted conure for going on 21 years, got him when he was a few months old.

7 Likes

We were very concerned about the transition. Especially since we have a somewhat large family. Us, daughter, son in law, 4 dogs, cats, and assorted farm animalsā€¦lol
I figured it would be days, if not weeks before he would come out of his cage or we would really be able to interact with him. It almost seems like we have had him for months already.
Just never imagined bringing a macaw home, would go like this. I was honestly ready for plan B before i ever even went and picked him up, craigslistā€¦lol Maybe he knew thatā€¦hahaha I was honestly scared to death of getting a mean bird, especially one of this size.

7 Likes

Oh if I had a pick of my arm after one of them decided to be a brat :sweat_smile:. I had her on my arm, giving neck rubs and all that fun stuff. Well I stoped, starting walking back towards her cage, and she bent down between her legs and got nearly half my forearm into her beak and stared gnawing.

4 Likes

This is Bubbles, our smol cockatiel.

He wishes to show you all his pantsā€¦

ā€¦and that he is the destroyer of words:

13 Likes

He is awsome! That is what we were actually going to get, when this macaw flew into our livesā€¦LOL

3 Likes

Sounds familiar! :rofl:
Mine say the other birds name and than tell them to shut up when the are being loud.

:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

14 Likes

Today he is being a bit moody, so we are letting him be. Will open his cage later this evening again. My only real concern at this point is, I dont think he is eating or drinking much. I think he is only eating what we hand feed him, and drinks when we hand the water bowl to himā€¦

Leave a bowl of seed mix and a bowl of fresh mixed fruit and veggies ! it will takes like 3 or so days for him to get use to a new environment . We keep the cage door open ( when we had a cage my boy doesnā€™t use one anymore ) this way he can come out when heā€™s ready

7 Likes

Mine drink when I first put the bowls into with fresh water. They donā€™t drink that much, some times in winter with humidity low It evaporates faster than they drink it. :rofl: They Green Wing loves to bath in it when fresh. They all dunk food and than wonā€™t drink because dirty.
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

i hope you stay on top of the clean up. i have a friend whom has a lot of birds. they let them fly in the house. bird feather and shit every where. i do not go visit them any more. that stuff is nasty. they need to clean up every day. they say their or pets. you still need to clean up dailyā€¦ needless to say i do not like birds on the inside of a home. they belong outside in trees.

1 Like

Well, when you have a farm going on, on 10 acres, its allot of up keep anyway you look at it. Throw in some constant construction, and I doubt you would enjoy stepping foot in our placeā€¦and far less to do with a birdā€¦lolol Though our place is kept picked up, we are by no means worried about what others think about our house keepingā€¦LMAO We bought and paid cash for our 10 acres in the middle of the mountains, to get away from folks like that. :rofl:
And when someone in our family or anyone for that matter does not like the way we live, for whatever reason, I always chuckle to myselfā€¦and think, ya, I am 45ā€¦and debt free, including my home. (I can technically retire) Hmā€¦looks like I did the right thing after allā€¦LOL

2 Likes

Okā€¦ritz crackersā€¦um, they appear to be like crack to him :thinking:

Mine freaks out when he sees cheese doodles

1 Like

yea man he does not care for animals like he should. enjoy your birds.