Can we talk birds?

the go to with my parrot was green beans, sometimes apple and brocolli and walnuts. i forgot, lots of in shell salt free peanuts were a staple. i think those were his favorite. i wasn’t his main caretaker but this really makes me miss him. he was a mean fucker though. he had a hella-strong beak, he only bit me once or twice over the years but damn did that hurt.

3 Likes

You guys do now both of these are horrible for them. I had up to 11 at one time. All are rehomed and had issues. It was so sad when they die way before their time because of bad diets. I had three that died from chronic heath diet related issue. I just gave them what they needed and love for their last days. Some I even gave their owners money so that I good get them to the vet. Just a topic dear to me. I will get off the soap box now. We all love ore feathered friends :parrot:

5 Likes

Well, everything in moderation. Seeing how he has a steady diet of fruits, veggies, and seeds now…a little bit of junk food shouldnt be too bad. We are talking about 1 ritz cracker. He has a far better diet now than he had, we did do our research.
He loves his apples and grapes also we have found.
Wife gets up every morning now, and makes him his fruit salad breakfast…LOL

3 Likes

Now now he doesn’t get them every day if I left the bag out he knows what’s in them and demands he gets them lol

He’s very healthy every time he goes to the vet they tell me what ever your doing keep doing it so I guess the cheese doodles are ok lol
I feed him a wide range of table food veggies ,pasta,what ever we have he gets a little
He sees you eating he wants some lol :joy:
He loves chicken the little cannibal, when I give him some I tell him he’s eating a cousin lol

I have 3 perches set in the house
He’s always wherever we are

The dog and him are jealous of each other, each want attention but the dog freaks a little when I play with the bird

I don’t really worry about the dog hurting the bird I feel the dog need to worry about the bird he can be evil at times

The other day the bird landed on the floor , the dog grabbed her bone and ran lol

6 Likes

my African grey used to go back and forth with my 2 dogs, going at them when they passed his cage and whatnot. i think they learned pretty quick. i know he got one of them good. i’m not really sure who started it but i think he showed them who’s boss. after a while i think they got along well enough.

1 Like

Hahaha, ya we have a couple perches made already. We are keeping him where we are at. Today, we have experienced the scream…about put me thru the roof it scared me so bad…and the nerve of this bird, he quite literally laughed after he did it…LOL

4 Likes

My African grey would bark, like the neighbours dog, and meow like our cat. She would do this whenever she saw them. When she would have a mad half hour in the afternoon and go through her whole repertoire of words whistles and noises, she would start barking like the dog then meowing like the cat then switch back and forth between the two very fast so it sounded like the cat and dog were fighting lol.

4 Likes

When my schipperke was alive the parrot would bark just like the dog so one day I’m hanging out and I hear the dog barking up a storm and I think I forgot them out on the deck I go out on the deck he’s sleeping I bring them in just in case I go back to my recliner , next thing you know I hear barking up a storm I look he was laying on the floor in the living room sound asleep and I know his bark so I hung out in the hallway all of a sudden the parrot starts barking , laughed my ass off
One day I noticed a parrot figured out my whistle for the dog I watched him all day call the dog into the room ,the dog would look around couldn’t find me turn around go back out , dog kept doing it again and again

That dogs long gone and the bird never barks like that anymore

Funny I think they were friends in a weird way
If the bird had a chance to sneak up on the dog and bite him in the ass he would and laugh :laughing:

5 Likes

Yea, it can be shock for sure. They can be heard miles away :laughing:

3 Likes

years ago when i played video games regularly, people would always ask what the hell was in my background. “oh, that’s just my bird.”

3 Likes

this is neo he is an african grey

10 Likes

That is so true. The umbrella Cockatoo would chase the cat down the hall. It was so funny seeing him waddling down the hall after that cat. Good thing the cat is faster.

3 Likes

Allright. I’m outta here! :sweat_smile: :running_man:

Bringing back traumatic memories of Bandit a Rottweiler of a blue Macaw that terrorized me & my buddy. (His mom raised exotics).

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

once every year or so i would catch my bird hanging completely backwards from the top of his cage like a bat, bobbing his head around flappin his wings, he seemed to be having a good time. i wish i had that on camera.

3 Likes

Well he now has an entire jungle gym built for him in the corner of the living room, and several perches thruout.
He has a far larger vocabulary than what they say he should.
He is either far more intelligent than we think, or incredibly good at word association…which takes some kind of smarts anyways. Says hello when you walk in, good bye when you leave. Asks for actual things, apples, water, grapes. And knows the difference when you try to give him something else. It’s very uncanny.
Also learned he has a serious fascination with paper bags. Sticks his head in them, and just gets all excited, screaming, talking, jumping…lol he does NOT like bathing, so working with him on that now. All he ever had was pellets and peanuts and some fruits, so he is experiencing allot of new things, from foods, to a new found freedom of not being caged all day. Just to sleep at night. He needs some muscle work to be able to fly, he can’t go up, and has very little control. So, we will be working with him on that. :+1:

And he has provided great cat entertainment…hahaha. Cat walks up on him like he is some kind of sparrow…and hilarity ensued…lmao

9 Likes

That’s what I thought of mine. I had him sitting on the porch railing. I was weeding when a gust of wind came and he lifted off and up about 10 ft. When I tried to get him he soared down than up about 20 ft up to a tree a 100 yards away Put a ladder in the back of the truck and when I climbed up to him off he flew away away and away. After a night in almost freezing temps, I walked to the neighbors to ask permission to search their woods and heard a “step up” from a tree. I used a man lift got to him and he started to step up and I grabbed a foot. He made me pay :scream:
Funny thing, he has Never flown in the house before or after.
You are going to have so much fun. You will both learn from each other.

:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

Well, what we thought was a Catalina macaw, looks to actually be a Miligold Macaw,…wow, so many macaws…haha

2 Likes

I had a yellow collar miniature macaw ! they are extremely intelligent I believe they equal in intelligence to a 6 year old child !

2 Likes

Yes home breeders started mixing them to make “designer” breeds.
Is yours smaller like the military or bigger like the blue and gold or huge like a Scarlet?
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

I thought he was big. But I am not really sure, I don’t really have anything to compare him too experience wise. Let me see if I can measure him.

1 Like