Can you make effective oils/salves from dried but UNCURED flower?

Hi folks and thanks for reading!

I’m 1 week away from cropping my 1st #Fuck Cancer CBD plant and want to process it into an MCT oil and topical salve for my friend as soon as it’s possible to do so.

This is the first time I’m in a time-crunch as I normally let my flower cure for at least a month before touching it; and when I make oils and salves it’s usually months after a harvest so everything is well and cured.

What is the shortest amount of time after drying that I could process it without ruining it all by rushing?

Thanks soo much everyone!

:hugs: :fist: :heart:

10 Likes

Whenever the stem snaps.

I’ve decarbed fresh bud right after harvest and it didn’t reduce medicinal effect.
However, after decarbing there was still some moisture present, which was gone after a day or two in a paper bag.

You can make Rick Simpson oil with fresh bud, if I remember correctly that’s how he does it.
The water boils off along with the solvent/alcohol.

The difference in effect after curing is mainly because part of the THC is converted to CBN.
Which happens anyway when you decarb long enough at low temperature.

Three hours at 100 degr. Celsius gets you higher CBN levels which are more sedative and narcotic.

Two hours and 22 minutes at 100 degr. Celsius gives a more uplifting effect.

So if you have had to harvest too early because of budrot for example, and the high is too headrushy you can compensate that by decarbing a little longer.

And you can still smoke decarbed bud, not sure how it affects flavor though.

Keep in mind that even after decarbing THC keeps slowly converting to CBN, so it keeps curing after decarbing.

10 Likes

As soon as it is dry is fine. I feel the cure is more for smoking it as the more volatile, and less desirable, monoterpenes offgas.

13 Likes

Exactly

I’ve been vaping the leftover material after seed collection and plan to extract the balance.
The vaping is great. The flavours are strong and the power is definitely there.
The balance of the material will get a standard decarb before extraction.
Shortest time for me is about a week to dry.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

@Rogue , @ReikoX , & @Gpaw,

:pray: THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!! :pray:

:hugs:

5 Likes

I hope your ok bro!!! I have been having problems. I’m worried. Lol . It is what it is.

2 Likes

I am totally good! Thanks! This is for my friend 1/2 way through her chemo :+1:

4 Likes

Sad to hear that. But it helps I promise you. I’m sure you know. One Love. I seen a show on kids with it being treated for the problems. It was sad. It was on Netflix. I cried. Sad stuff. I hate to see pain. Man that tuff. I have lost so many people to it. One in my family was the worst. I don’t want to say to much. I a great guy. I have a very big heart. Life and death bothers me. I’m a older person. I never really loved anything. Until a few years ago. My son. I’m old. Hum!

3 Likes

@Rogue of all wonderful times a sous vide unit is on sale at Crappy Tire! I’m gonna grab one on my way home so from now on my temp stability game will be spot on.

Last batch I decarbed the flower in an oven BEFORE the oil soak at temp; but I’ve read many times the oven de-carb in advance of an oil/butter soak at temp is unnecessary as it will decarb during the butter/oil soak.

I want to go that route as it seems like it will be more accurate than my toaster oven… and it’s clearly less work! :rofl:

1 Like

No need to buy anything new if you already have two pots of slightly different size. :slight_smile:

Just be careful in the beginning, before adding the bud find a setting/number on the stove that’s just right so you get a gentle micro bubbling boil going so that the water doesn’t splash all over the place. :+1:
Add a tablespoon of salt to slow down evaporation and you won’t have to top up the water, depending on the size of the gap.

3 Likes

So @Rogue I think that’s a yes to No need to decarb before the oil bath at 100c for 2-3 hours? lol

The sous vide unit is also gonna be for food. And the way I’m making stuff is to keep it all sealed in jars where I place the jars directly into the water bath. My best successes have been a crock-pot water bath with topping off at is boils off but it’s not as stable as a sous vide unit which will also mean no stress for the missus with an untended boiling pot of water lol.

1 Like

Define “oil bath”. :smiley:

I don’t involve oil, just cut up my bud and decarb, then eat the dry bud.

I find it easier to dose and because the fiber remains it’s more slow release, the effect is more even keeled and lasts longer.

Keep it simple. :+1:

1 Like

1 cup of MCT oil + 14g of dried flower. = oil bath.

I usually take the 14g of flower and oven it at 220F for 20-25min, then let it cool and then add this into a jar, pour-over the oil; swirl a few times for good measure then seal it up and place in the water bath and then turn up the heat. When it’s at 180f I leave it a few hours and then let it cool and strain through cheese cloth and then store in a jar and dose in a dropper.

So far so good but avoiding the oven decarb sounds like a wonderful thing if i’ll get the same (or better) results.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a very strange way to go about it, hahaha.

You can skip the oven for sure. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I imagine it’s gonna be a lot more potent if you do.

Experiment with different batches, boiled at different times ranging between 2 and 3 hours, and see what works best for you, for that particular cultivar. :+1:

For example, if you’re boiling 3 jars you can simply take one out at 2 hrs, one at 2 1/2 hrs and let the last one go for 3 hrs.

2 Likes

YOU’RE IN MY HEAD! :smiley:
THANKS FOR THE ASSISTANCE @Rogue !!

2 Likes

Ofcourse! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

May the results far exceed your expectations!

1 Like

We cut buds, place in frezer 24 hs, take out and press “Live Rosin”.
Nothing is better…IMHO…The Flavor You Will Savor!
Sample some dabs, Gummies, Cookies, with alcohol tincture.
Place extraction in freezer in loose lid jar, open every couple days and stir.
One month later let us know what ya think!

4 Likes

@Astrodude I hear ya but I need a press first for that though. lol

2 Likes