Can you manipulate potency by targeted colas growth

So what if you want to re-veg , your gonna have to leave bud on it etc, plus people who don’t want to stress their plants or don’t like taking too much from a plant etc, how would you encourage someone like that that you are indeed correct.?
it’s usually “lollipopped” to increase buds size but potency, can you explain more @jgblackriver3 how you came to this conclusion.? Cheers mate …
Gaz

2 Likes

It seems logical that by manipulating (removing) lower flowers from the stems leaving only tops or upper 1/3 throws all possible nutrients to remaining flowers. At least that’s my hypothesis… What I should have done was approach my two girls with different techniques to test as they are sister plants seeds from the same plant. I know this the buds from this grow seems to be extra sticky. And pre sample set me back PDG with some stick around

1 Like

I didn’t say it doesn’t come with limitations LOL… BTW I’ve never tried reveg. so it never came to be a worry. Guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

1 Like

Potency (chemotype) is hardcoded. If you grow the plant at its maximum potential and respect the product (proper drying, proper curing etc), the way you do it will not change anything.

Like said Joe, the number of secondary you choose to maintain is mainly a question of yield/time ratio.

It can be extended to quality too in considering an extrem case : too many bud sites without extensive veg time can’t end with a fire product, so it will be hard this way to reach the full potential of an “over-tired” plant.

6 Likes

It may be somewhat hard coded but at this point I believe it does. Unfortunately like I said I should have approached it differently with the two girls I have going now so as to have some kind of control. Maybe even a third untouched. Next go around I guess. Truly appreciate your feedback

You’re welcome ;o)

Sometimes it’s sensitive to make the difference between “genetic potential” and “optimization”. But we will enter naturally in the breeding subject and its paradigm, as an extension of this consideration. And it’s very not the subject here.

Just, not “it may be” or you will fool yourself on your personal researches. It is the case and it’s fully documented since decades now, to the GMO engineering and sequences. I invite you to throw an eye in this thread to debunk yourself this a-priori.

Basically, if you harvest a better weed with the same clone it’s because you do a better job than is more respecting the needs of the specimens. It’s typically what is a phenotype : an answer to an environment with a static genetic stock full of switches.

5 Likes

My rationality behind this theory stand as this. Although there are genetic limitations in strains concerning overall potency/yeild. Everyone can agree that one can somewhat manipulate the desired targeted effects by when one chooses to harvest. So many ways to trim to gain desired growth why not targeting potency by limiting where that plant places those hormones. So far with the results I’m getting I believe it does. But as I said I most definitely should have done a more scientific approach to test. I guess me and my roommate will put it to the test as it is his favorite flavor and we’ve flamed a lot of flowers from this strain

I have some reveggers in bud now. They have been growing since May outdoors. What I call my experiment plants. Do you think the plants will be over-tired and have shit quality bud? I already know the buds will be smaller, because of all the branching.

Sorry to bomb your topic @jgblackriver3

1 Like

stick a nail through the stem its a old trick but does work makes the plant create more frost/thc therefore more potent only trick i can think of or can always use some brown suger mixed in with the water also creates more frost

2 Likes

In outdoor, you’re a bit outside these considerations because the sun. You can grow a giant baobab bushy, it will not hit so much your quality if you counterbalance with solid nutes and cares of the roots.

Reveging risks are more for motherplants (clones producers) and futures mothers/fathers of seeds than for the weed. No worry to have on this side ;o)

2 Likes

Not at all… I enjoy open debate. As long as respectfully applied. When “diplomacy” lapses so do my patience. I believe that one can manipulate growth in many ways. Right? By simply applying curtain trimming/pruning topping, micro… Etc etc etc you can manipulate how that plant grows. Same thing with the proper use of nutrients… Lighting… outdoors vs. indoors… altitude… latitude…longitude. All play rolls. All a delicate balance. Some stress affect some strains and respond well. Some not so well. I honestly believe the same can apply to potency. If a stressed plant loaded with buds and hungry. Will those buds be as juiced with all the goodies. Or will they lack. :thinking: I believe lack and if the sample I took is any indication my girls might not produce pounds but what I will harvest will be bomb buds full of goodies. As for reveg I can’t honestly give input there.

1 Like

I’d be interested to watch a test. Maybe next grow. :seedling:

2 Likes

So maybe “manipulate” potency is the wrong term. More like optimize potency for that strain with targeted colas.

1 Like

Exactly but in more depth considering nutrients, lighting… It’s all a balancing act when it comes right down to it. And the plant responds to each a little differently. Find that “sweet spot” and the plant should respond with kind response. A overly burdened orange tree doesn’t produce the sweetest of oranges does it?

1 Like

So hear me out on this. After testing a lot of plants for potency at a few different labs I have came to the conclusion that unstressed buds towards the top of the plant always test higher than buds lower on the canopy. By testing tops only I got to see some nice pretty numbers but they were not really what the entire plant would average out to. By taking multiple buds from flower sites all around the plant a more accurate view of the plants “thc percentage” can be achieved. Soooo this gets me thinking if tops test higher than bottoms what happens if you have all tops? If you have all tops will the entire plants thc level be higher than a plant with lowers also? I’m not too sure either way who knows but that’s a hell of a thing to think about. Thanks for posting this definitely going to try to look more into it!

3 Likes

But what about lowers testing lower in thc? The healthier tops thc numbers are usually significantly higher. If the lowers were healthier they would not be lowers.

1 Like

This is all true I agree. It’s genetics the genetics dictate potency. But wait if you grow it a little better than me it might be a % or two higher in thc. So do genetics only dictate potency or also environment? If you leave the plants in 24hr light potency will go way down because they will never flower. So maybe it is just genetic with a little phenotypical expression and environment. But what about trimming/pruning? You can’t really say they have nothing to do with potency either. If I manually remove all flower sites and leave the leaves I bet the plant will continue to live out the rest of its life but I will have effectively dropped the thc % like a brick. So maybe if all of this is true small increases of potency can be had by optimizing plant production by selective trimming/pruning. Not saying it’s a fact but something we should look more into.

3 Likes

Sorry but these examples don’t have any sense. They are mecanical ways to don’t smoke anything, it don’t change the fact than the plant have its chemotype hardcoded both in quality and timeline : cannabinoids balance and strenght.

Lets take it in an another reasonnable strange way ^^ If it’s relatively easy to fail your yield (vegetal mass productivity) with bad cares and/or decisions, to fail your potency (expression of chemotype) is much harder. You have to truly do everything to fail it from the start to end. And even with a bad drying, it still hard. Many feel shame to admit it, but how many of us have quick dryed a bud ? Hays smoking yes, but generally we do that for potency lol

This is because theyr are complementary process but in staying sequential. In first the plant set the vegetal mass in function of your cares (so trimming/pruning, the basics of a SCROG technic and strategy for the example) during the majority of weeks under flowering photoperiod. Then the last weeks the plant “fill” this vegetal mass with “potency” (i don’t enter in details because it appear enough complicated for now) and end this sequence with a short period of maturation than look like a wave in a graph. Low levels of cannabinoids, apogee, then decrease with the senescence and the death of the specimen.

I agree than sometimes it’s necessarry to decypher difficult concepts of optimization, but at a certain point everybody must do his homework and to read documentations. Specially when this documentation is offered like a fast food menu.

It avoid the eternal loops to discuss always about the same things over and over : “must i finish my flowering stage in dark”, “is the seed shape deciding sex of the specimens lol”, “is boiling the roots increase potency”, “is peeing in my pot boost the plants” … avoiding bad comprehension of the plant permit to put the priority to treat advanced subject : how to prepare my plant for cups, how professionnals flush theyr plants, is the PAR judgement strain-dependant, what is electroculture, can i SOG outdoor … etc

Not angry at all, just frustrated.

3 Likes

Look at the pictures I’ve posted of my low watt. exactly what I was shooting for… Mostly tops. Bingo! Forcing the plant to pump them up with goodies! If the plant has limited flowers to throw those goodies where do they go… To remaining flowers :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Finally found someone open-minded enough to catch on. So often we set our knowledge in stone not willing to expand in it.