Can you put buds outside to dry in the freezing air to collect seeds faster?

I have a private drying space outdoors to eliminate indoor odors of white widow drying. I am drying to harvest my seeds. Will letting the buds freeze and thaw a few times until the seeds release harmful for them or not?

Wouldn’t freeze more than once. ?

Wouldn’t freeze at all, but they might survive it once.??

What is the hurry???

4 Likes

Very sage advice padawan. It is never recommended to freeze any foods more than once, and it seems like a good idea to use that as an example.

I agree @itza419. Now if you were low on bud and you wanted quick a cola or two for smoking, I could understand the rush. Even then I think an oven on warm makes the best quick dry method. My oven is at 135° on warm so won’t do any harm. But just to harvest seeds, I’d wait the 10-14 days.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe you fellas may have misread his question. He doesn’t care about the buds so that’s out of the question what he wants is the seeds. This is what I believe you’re asking correct?

If so, putting your fresh Bud outside in the freezing air will not dry your cannabis but it will freeze it as well as your seeds within it to a solid state which is not recommended, especially repeated from the best of my knowledge.

If it is a private drying space Outdoors then my best recommendation off the top my head would be to get a small barbecue where you can maintain the heat in the high 40s Celsius

Dgtxxx

1 Like

You can collect the mature seeds fresh without drying

4 Likes

Drying the bud just to be clear…

4 Likes

and throw them (stem and all) in a brown paper bag inside if you had to harvest early (ie, the seeds aren’t quite ready yet)…

2 Likes

Great advice…Got plenty of bud…Sooo brown paper bags I suppose will be the next best thing. Temps went down below twenty last night, however was able to find a cozy little spot inside for them…

3 Likes

I am referring to the seed.

3 Likes

I guess I could always bribe my pals to hand pick these beans…then they can salvage what is leftover… Pollen is not a toy…Pollen is not a toy…Treat it with respect.

3 Likes

Best letting buds dry 1st and they’ll start falling out when handling … simple…! Happy growing bud
Gaz

4 Likes

I am in agreement with @Gaz29. The buds are harvested. Dry and cure them. Let the seeds drop when they are ready. I have better germination rates when the seeds are allowed to harden in the bud.

I like to dry them, cure them, consume them and gather the seeds as I go.

Good luck and keep seedin.

5 Likes

To make it very easy, I just harvest plants when they are ready by cutting the stem and hanging them with all leaves and all, when I want to collect seeds, I just hold the plant above a bigger bowl and give them a little hit from above. Mature seeds should fall off immediatly. Then I cut all the leaves and crumble the dry but and collect whats still inside.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hang them into freezing air, you can have moisture buildups and then mold comes very easy.

15°C - 22°C is the best temperature for me.

1 Like

Have you found a good way to harvest seed from wet bud?
Im thinking about hand threshing (hitting with a stick) if I get some pollinated buds, not sure that’ll work in wet buds?

I have a technique but I man handle the buds not trying to perserve any of it for smoke. If the seeds are mature like in this picture of Daisy May pollinated by an Orange Sunshine Male most will start to fall out twisting the buds with your thumbs. Hard black seeds rain down from the buds and i collect as many as I can and then just finish inspecting the bud with my thumbs squishing down and sliding them forward to reveal the remained of mature seeds. I throw out any soft and white shells the seeds look like this.

6 Likes

Ah thats cool, So if I let em go long enough there shouldnt be too much trouble
not worried about bud will probably hash it
Thanks
Manual Like Override :thumbsup:

2 Likes