How long do you let plants go when making seed?

So, my plants are getting really close to being finished if I was picking for the bud. But I’m growing them for the seed. I can tell there’s still a lot of seeds that could get bigger and darker. I’m just wondering how other people like to do it. Do you let them go a few weeks more than usual or just let them keep going until they die pretty much? I’m getting impatient because I want to free up the space. It seems to me that you run a few weeks longer than if only picking flower, in order to get the best seeds. Opinions please☺️

16 Likes

I tend to go with about the same as a flower cycle. When I think they are ready I will pull a lower branch or 2 and shuck it. Then what that shows me tells me what I need to do. You don’t really need the seeds bigger or darker, just ripe and viable. I have seen some fairly white freakshow seeds germ fine as well as small seeds. If you are in need of space give it a shot. Shuck a few smaller branches and see what you got.

17 Likes

I was wondering this exact thing today Doug as I have seeded plants.

10 Likes

If you take a look at my Sour Bubble redemption thread, my Paonia Purple Paralyzer thread or my Blue Kush thread you can get time lines I used. I normally update daily so you can see from flip to harvest in real time.

15 Likes

5 weeks from pollination works for me.

It doesn’t hurt to pull a few off and have a look.

11 Likes

I shoot for 6-8 weeks from pollination.

12 Likes

Going by that pic I would leave them a little longer due to new pistils still forming but tester branches when you think it’s time is still the best way to see IMO.

7 Likes

I do
5 to 6 weeks for efficiency
8-9 for storage

:wink:

12 Likes

Yeah I’ve had lots of immature seeds harvest just fine as well. I just figured I’d let them all get as mature as possible. But in all reality once the plants start to finish/die, I assume there won’t be much seed growth going on anyhow. I think I’ll let them go another week. Maybe I’ll pick one of the more finished ones. The Ayuhuasca Purple has been done awhile lol

5 Likes

If they germ and grow fine they are not immature, lol. But yeah, if the plants are hitting the end of their lives I would say the seeds would be quite done and then some.

2 Likes

You didn’t even give poor 7 a chance.

I’ve always tried to go 8 weeks, but even then, with some varieties I still get some immature seeds.

7 Likes

If you are open pollinating I would think there will be immature seeds no matter what you do. I would think the only way to avoid it would be to manually pollinate at the right time. Got to figure in an open pollination there will be pollen floating around till you are done. When a spec of that pollen hits a pistil later in life it will not have nearly the same time to mature as the other seeds. I am just rambling now, lol.

7 Likes

:raising_hand_man:I have a question. So do you dry it as you normally would?

2 Likes

That makes total sense to me. I generally always do open pollination.

3 Likes

I don’t, I just hang them. I don’t care if the plants fast dry and am not concerned about curing. I let the plants dry right out, makes it easier to shuck and seperate the seeds.

6 Likes

Ok thanks for the info

2 Likes

Ayuhuasca Purple pollinated with Sugar Belts. Not a very big plant but I’ll have way more than the ten pack I started with​:money_mouth_face:She definitely has some pretty colors :rainbow:

14 Likes

Seeds fell out on the counter when I laid the branches down :rofl: Good sign they’re done :+1:

6 Likes

:laughing:

I intentionally left 7 out to make it seem like there was a big difference between the 2 brackets.

About heavily seeded plants and immature seeds, i think theres a point where the plant cant support more seeds, and will leach from the latest seeds to relocate resources…

5 Likes

I don’t disagree. And i think that sometimes seeds simply get aborted because it’s too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, too windy or because it’s Wednesday. :scream:

2 Likes