Canada Legalizes Cocaine

I lived in the Lynn Valley, N. Van, in 1967/1968. I hung out a lot at the local “hippie house.” One night, the house was raided by Abe Snidanko and a bunch of his “associates,” guns drawn.

My oh my, how things have changed! smile1

1 Like

Alcohol is legal, some people still make moonshine. 80,000 die from alcohol a year (look it up) Should we reenact prohibition?

I’m not suggesting this is your stance but if you think people belong in prison cell for what they choose to put in their body, I don’t know what to say, but I hear black boots clicking together.

2 Likes

Excellent way to make sure political discussions are completely verboten. I dared to disagree with you, so you imply I’m a Nazi? Did you even read what I wrote? All I said is that it’s not likely to help with overdoses much, and that I’d rather have more freedom than less myself - this is not a compelling argument to politicians, though, so I don’t expect it to make a goddamn bit of difference in their calculations.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s movement very similar to what my state of Oregon has already done. People mistake decriminalizing small amounts of narcotics as legalizing hard drugs. It does not legalize hard drugs. If you get caught with a very small amount of cocaine, meth or heroin. Single bag personal use. Its decriminalized. Ticket. If you have more than one small bag or more than one drug. Scale or baggies. Your fucked. Your also fucked if it has fentanyl in it. Which everything does now. Buyer Beware. The law is designed to give people that are sick a chance to have a life without a felony conviction. Cops here are so lazy about doing actual police work. They would go out and pick up felony quotas by stalking, harassing mentally ill homeless people.

1 Like

It will work in the long run. It’s working in Portugal. It took a couple years.

6 Likes

It’s increased everywhere because of fentanyl.

2 Likes

I said it wasn’t your stance, did you see that part? I read what you said. Lol, all good man. I could have written it better to really emphasize I wasn’t talking about you but I was walking my dog & typing. My bad.

1 Like

In New York, we like many other places have been hit hard with the effects of the Opioid Epidemic. Deaths involving synthetic opioids, & largely illicitly made fentanyl tainted heroin (and pills) that are largely the cause for most of the deaths that I hear about. Just in the last few years I’ve heard of the death of 2 of my ex girlfriends… one of which was the mother of my 2 oldest daughters. She died on a street corner from a fentanyl overdose. I’ve also lost friends and people I grew up with in my graduating high school class to the same tainted drugs. I mean hell… in 2016 we lost Prince, one of my all time favorite artists. He died on the floor of his music compound Paisley Park… they found counterfeit hydrocodone pills in his facility. His death showed the world that this epidemic was far reaching and could reach any social class.

With all this death you can’t help but wonder what could have been prevented if the law was different and addicts had safe access to the drugs and facilities needed in order to either use or obtain drugs that aren’t produced in a Mexican Drug cartel laboratories or by Street chemists. Anyone who’s had a taste of what true Opiod addiction is like… those people know what true hell is and how hopelessness and despair creeps in when you don’t have access to drugs and how wretched and painful the feeling of sickness is when the withdrawal symptoms start. I don’t think your normal average person realizes how terrible it is to be in the shoes of one of these addicts. I had a friend tell me once that he had no sympathy for those people and if they really wanted to quit, they’d quit. That was one of the most ignorant things I’ve ever heard. I happen to know how horrible addiction is because I’ve been there… done that… I’ve tasted that amazing high… and I’ve felt the Hell association with the price of withdrawal. I was one of the lucky few who escaped the grasp it had on me rather quickly. But not everyone is so lucky. I actually turned to indoor growing as a hobby to distract me from using drugs. One I became somewhat obsessed with… I felt like it helped save me.

I’m all for the legalization of these drugs if there’s a plan to keep the tainted, tampered, synthetic drugs off the street and provide access to those who are suffering. It’d be better for these folks to be able to use a drug that’s not almost certainly guaranteed to kill them and have better access to actual help than it would to keep turning droves of people to the streets, leading them to where death awaits them. Through shady dealings with criminals and dealers who deal death in glassine envelopes on street corners or to the highly restricted and expensive opioid replacement therapy options now currently available in the United States like Suboxone therapy… those doctors who are licensed to dispense it are few and far between and costly. What we are doing right now in the United States isn’t exactly working. Maybe Canada has it right and is going down a better path.

I know I’ve mainly talked about opioid drugs and tye title of this thread is about Canada legalizing Cocaine… but when you look at this subject in the news, this is what you see…

The article goes on to say "The company said it plans to “bring a safer supply of drugs to the global market.”

So it kinda falls in line with everything I’ve been talking about. I guess we can only wait and see.

8 Likes

Safe supply would save lives :+1:
That’s all I care about.

5 Likes

Yes, it would. :100:

3 Likes

Here i thought Prince was found dead in an elevator…

The destroyer

Fentanyl being added to everything has created a bunch of junkies. Can you even get pure cocaine anymore, unless straight from the source?..or MDMA? I’ve never done either of them…but wouldn’t dare touch anything other than weed or shrooms these days.

3 Likes

I did, but then it took a hard left turn… this is a good reason though. :slight_smile:

No worries, we’re on the same side here. I’d love to see them all decriminalized for personal use and only have government going after large-scale trafficking too; I spent my teenage years being harassed for joints by well-meaning cops too. It’s a waste of tax dollars, and even worse if they’d actually wasted the time and money to punish it. If it actually helps lower the overdose rate too, decriminalizing harder drugs is a win-win; even if it doesn’t it’s a win for personal freedom, just doesn’t give the politicians any incentive to actually do it.

2 Likes

Yep, Safe injection sites in cities has decreased over doses in those communities. All “the man” does is complain about it.

3 Likes

This post has been deleted by the user and will be removed eventually.

Dudes, no one would see it coming because it is so idiotic.

Canada has legal cannabis, why would they use harder drugs?

This hard drugs are illegal and I understand why, they are high addictive, not cheap and really can ruin lives.

Not that I would say no to that line… But it has been many years since I did my last hard drug night, and can’t say I miss it.

Hard drugs should keep illegal, and cannabis should be legal worldwide.

I would even trade alcohol to be illegal if it mean cannabis smoke and growth worrieless.

1 Like

The addiction rate is 5-15% (depending on drug). Which means 85% to 95% of people who use drugs recreationally do not become addicted.

So to protect a tiny minority of people, we should take personal freedom away from everyone & keep millions in jail?

As for “ruining lives” we’re mostly talking about the financial harms caused by maintaining a habit. Or overdose caused by unknown products. All of those issues dissipate when legalized.

We tried keeping them illegal. It destroyed cities, killed millions & the USA is now the WORLDS LARGEST PENAL COLONY. Despite having only 350,000,000 people, we have more prisoners than authoritarian China with 1.4 billion people.

Doing the same thing over & over expecting different results = insanity.

P.S.
6,000 overdoses a year pre-drug war
100,000 per year now, during the drug war

The hard data says end prohibition.

5 Likes

True my friend but those numbers are based on the illegality of those drugs, if they are free to use the numbers will climb.

When I say this drugs destroy lives I don’t mean ods, those arent a problem, once they reach that state.

I am talking about protecting our childreen and future generations of a generalized use of those drugs, when grandma pop up death because the taker was too high and forgot her, when 1 and 2 years old childreen start showing with hunger and dehidrated because teir mom and dad were high, when your wife or mother will be killed in a car accident with someone completly wasted on hard drugs, you will consider that numbers aren’t people.

Kind of what happened in USA during Vietnam.

The true is if you don’t need to move to certain circles to get it and you can get it in the supermarket woriefree, it is more lilely people will try.

I tried, no question about that, and that is why I know how adictive those can be.

I also defend personal freedom, but that freedom must respect the others, if in order to access that freedom I am going to skip work, or forget about my responsability, then is has to remain illegal.

Let’s face the true, the war on drugs is lost since the beginning, and because government failed their task I shouldn’t be prosecuted for one addiction they didn’t prevent of reaching me in the first place.

But the true is I take reponsability for my choices and no one was pointing a gun at me when I tried those.

Obviously if you get addicted you will need more, and probably not only more drug but also company to share it with, making the black market we know today.

But you can tell me if in usa you go to jail because of 1g of cocaine, or those numbers refer to people that don’t even consume but deal with it.

Yeah the floor of an elevator, on the ground floor of Paisley Park.

1 Like