Canadian Cannabis Act / ACMPR license Q and A

Of course, if you are multiple designated growing for someone else in a warehouse on buddy’s property, you will need the owner’s permission. Hah hah imagine if I could set up a grow barn inside my neighbors hay shed without his permission? That would be a strange world indeed.

2 Likes

You do not need the property owners consent if it is your primary place of residence… the charter of rights and freedoms guarantees access to medicine. a landlord can not evict you for producing your own medicine, it’d be grounds for a human rights complaint, it’s discrimination

the most recent application form on health canadas website (PDF) clearly states if it is your ordinary place of residence to skip the property owner/consent section

8 Likes

I’ve emailed health Canada for clarification, so we might get a half assed answer in 3-14 weeks lol

8 Likes

i wouldn’t trust whoever responds to be knowledgeable enough to provide an accurate answer… it’s like asking a police officer if somethings legal or not, half the time they don’t even know the law well enough to be able to properly enforce it

the application form makes very clear it is not required. it unambiguously states “if it’s your ordinary residence, skip the section for property owner info and consent”

5 Likes

and in better news, i contacted my clinic thru their website “contact us” page and received a phone call immediately the next day and they will be sending me out a new properly filled out medical document so i can express post it to canada post… apparently they did not receive any of my previous e-mails of voice mail messages, so i don’t know what happened but it’s being rectified and i’m more than happy

i think i may actually designate my friend to grow for me as his house has central air and the quality of flower at his house has been waay better than what i’ve produced… my room is way too hot in the summer (even with AC blasting all day) and way too cold at nights in the winter (even with heater blasting all night) but i’m not sure

3 Likes

These must be new forms since last year because mine were returned to me for not having the house owner signing off on it.

3 Likes

May have filled the wrong box, the forms are confusing. I rent, no landlord permission required to get ACMPR.

4 Likes

Just doing renewal form, yes it seems the change is to the permission area. When answering you are growing in your normal place of residence, skip past permission section. Also added whether or not interim supply or seed starts are needed. I didn’t see that last year…

5 Likes

Yep yep yep! Your primary address is YOUR home even if your rent it, and it’s a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to discriminate against you on the basis of your medical needs. If you have a license, you grow responsibly and don’t damage property you should be on solid legal footing.

But let’s say your landlord has a bigoted beef with your medical needs? Breathing down your neck threatening to evict you? Well then you’ve got a solid case for the Human Rights Tribunal, and your landlord DOES NOT want to be on the receiving end of that hassle!! :wink:

5 Likes

Oh well let those fuckers bring that shady illegal shit to the table then, cuz I like to get PAID! See, they can SAY that all they want, but unless they actually DO that, which is to say move immediate family in for at least 6 months and not relist it, they are writing you a fat pay cheque.

Under the Residential Tennancy Act in British Columbia they can only evict you for owner use if:
-the owners are moving in themselves
-the owners immediate family is. Immediate family is spouse kids or parents, no siblings or cousins.

So when they do that they need to live there for at least six months, might be a year, before they can legally relist it for rent to the public. If they just say they’re going to move their old parents in, then plop it back on the market once you’re out you can haul them to the Tennancy Board under the RTA and take em for a whole years rent.

So in my neighbourhood, average monthly rent for a 1 bedroom suite is about $1800-$2000. You pull that shady shit on me, well you’d better come ready to write me a cheque for $21,600! :laughing::money_mouth_face:

Know your rights everybody, don’t be a serf.
:wink:

5 Likes

One more little note on this point…

They didn’t do shit cuz they were “good”, every single thing we have as a community as far as protections before the law were gained by struggle. It’s like this because time and again good Canadians were persecuted by the law over their personal medical choices and they took it all the way to the Supreme Court. With the exception of the recent regulatory change of “legalization” every single advancement in cannabis freedom in Canada has been the result of individuals defending their Charter Rights and winning, setting supreme court precedents the government must then legally accommodate. They aren’t being good, they are complying with the legal requirements to legislate in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, as interpreted by thr Supreme Court of Canada.

Harper didn’t want us all to be able to grow our medicine, but stout hearted individuals stood their ground and took the fight all the way. We have all that we do because of the struggles that came before.

Always remember this is a human rights issue, first and foremost, and never accept an attempt to reframe it as something else. The question is simply “Do I have a right to care for my own health?”

“It’s not a want of drugs, it’s a want of personal freedom, try to keep that in mind at all times, thank you.”
-Bill Hicks
RIP

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I need to set up my renewal appointment and now I can fill the form out correctly.

3 Likes

I wrote health Canada an email about this a couple weeks ago but (be ready to be shocked) they still haven’t gotten back to me yet. It’s so unlike the government to be slow and ineffectual, I know…

4 Likes

Well I think I’m going to have to write them a letter as well, the lady on the phone couldn’t answer my question… it’s a hard one, I guess. My question?

What is the legal definition of a plant according to the cannabis act?

Doesn’t seem so hard, I just wanted someone to agree that a plant has to have roots to count. My notion here is that when I trim my plant and toss those trimmings in the garbage I don’t have a pile of “plants” in my garbage. Therefore I would imagine that legally a cutting doesn’t become a plant until it roots… but I’d like someone to agree with my assessment from Health Canada.

Seems like a simple question to me, but the lady on the phone could not find me an answer! So I’ve gotta write em too… :confused:

2 Likes

The consensus at the contest/expo was the plant has to have roots.

2 Likes

Thank you, that would seem to be the logical line in the sand. I would just very much like to get that in writing from Health Canada at some point.

Heh heh heh… excellent… this of course would mean that an unrooted explant in tissue culture medium would not be a plant either. MWAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!!! :nerd_face::lab_coat:

1 Like

From the Cannabis Act . . .

3 Likes

Wait I feel like I’m missing some important context here though… So are these 2 schedules defining what is NOT a plant? Or what…? :thinking:

Thanks still!

1 Like

Subsection 2(1) mentioned above fills in the blanks . . .

2 Likes

As with all government documents, it’s full of ambiguity so you have to hire a lawyer to fully understand it.

3 Likes