Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Why am I not surprised to find Lakewood at the bottom of the list, as the most regressive (and staggeringly hypocritical) town in the state? :wink:

3 Likes

I think that parallels modern farming though. There’s plenty of GMO farmers running massive farms of monsantos modified crap, and there are still organic heirloom farmers who preserve their own seeds. Doing a seed run to preserve your genetics, you could have thousands of seeds for years to come.

Big canna is out there and coming. Doesn’t mean craft growers will disappear. Think of Anheiser Busch and any one of the hundreds of micro breweries competing with them.

4 Likes

My town recently amended its ordinances, the originals were too tightly restrictive, effectively eliminating businesses from even applying as there was no “legal place” to operate based on the original ordinances restrictions. Even being approved by the town was impossible. And they realized that, and began the process 2 months ago to amend to allow it in more commercial zones.

Of course, people come out of the woodwork now that its in their face, and there was lots of NEW opposition to the ordinance, but since its already an ordinance, there’s little they can do. I did find one quote from a councilmember (I think) in the paper to be interesting. Responding to the opposers they said “The time to oppose this ordinance was three years ago when it was on the ballot, not today as we work to amend it”. Hmmmm 3 years ago cannabis was still illegal here. And not voted on at the state level yet, but somehow my town had an ordinance approving cannabis businesses even before the state legalized it. HMM… Either way, it was good to see that the ordinance amended, and some restrictions lifted so business can actually find a suitable location. Cultivation is still a hard one to find a location for (despite being in a large, and largely wooded town), but I think the 10 potential licenses for retail shops are gonna go like hotcakes here.

3 Likes

Cashless ATMs Have Grown Into a $7 Billion Marijuana Loophole

Technology that lets people use plastic to pay for weed is a fast-growing industry. But some methods deceive the banking system, and the profits could go up in smoke

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-01/legal-weed-dispensaries-embrace-debit-card-workaround

5 Likes
3 Likes

Truly pathetic…

1 Like

Unfortunately, more than likely DOA in the Senate.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The real issue here was a rule in the Senate put in place during the Civil Rights era in order to allow a minority of Senators to stop Civil Rights legislation from passing the Senate. It is currently called the “Filibuster” though it has little in common with the original filibuster in Senate Rules. The true terminology is a “Cloture Vote” which requires 60 votes to end debate on any bill and move to a vote on the Senate Floor. What this did was install minority rule in the Senate and require a super majority to pass anything at all in the Senate.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Cold Turkey is the only way!

3 Likes

3 Likes

“House sends another cannabis decriminalization bill to the senate to die”

3 Likes

Wasn’t aware of this thread so I failed to point out that Vermont’s Cannabis Control Board started taking full applications for the smallest scale Tier 1 cultivators licenses on April 1st. They’re supposed to start issuing licenses May 1st (also the day that existing medical dispensaries can begin recreational sales).

5 Likes
2 Likes