Cannabis Legal Marketplace discussion

Seriously fucked market in Oregon. Race to the bottom. So yes, maybe just buy finished product. It will be untrimmed outdoor though. Maybe flash dried. I bought a pound from mission lago farms and it was decent (over 0.3% THC as bud though which ruined the intentions I had for it.)

I have some 2014 SoHum Harle Tsu F2, 2014 Colorado Cherry, and 2014 Cherry Wine seed (year packs were bought), but you will need to test to be sure of ratios. Cherry wine is true for high CBD I think.

3 Likes

Prices for weed are tanking in the west as more states come online. Oversupply is an issue in every state that has been legal for a while. California buyers do not have to come to Oregon or Washington to buy any more. Nevada is also legal now. Supply is high. Wait until we get a good Indian summer in Southern Oregon. Then the outs will bury the marketplace with cheap high potency weed in state. The same will happen in a few years in California. Nevada state controls distribution so prices may wind up different there. Washington state prices are falling as well. Washington state outs hit a record harvest in 2017 driving prices lower. Licensed growers in Washington state outnumber licensed rec stores 2:1. I read that Colorado prices are also dropping like a rock lately. Margins are getting thin.

7 Likes

Thanks for the analysis. A bit concerning since this sounds like a race to the bottom. Will this put price pressure on those enterprises that are spending the time and money producing top shelf product (and naturally command a premium)?

Then there is the consolidation thing that could drive the small players out of the marketā€¦

1 Like

Like everything else we consume or use, quality will always demand a premium.

Without restrictions on growing itā€™s going to be easy to produce a huge surplus. I think people who rushed out to legal states to set up commercial indoor grows are going to find out that was an extremely shortsighted decision.

5 Likes

donā€™t forget that taxes & fees & compliance costs are so high that legal flower still costs more than underground. I think that is also why the ā€œregulatedā€ weed wonā€™t sell.

Until it gets very cheap many people will still grow their own or buy from the delivery guy. Once youā€™re a ā€œregulatedā€ legal grower itā€™s going to be harder if not impossible to sell your crop on the black market. Youā€™ve probably had to tell the state how much you harvested and who buys it.

6 Likes

a big cannabis chain in colorado, sweet leaf, was shut down for knowingly allowing ā€˜loopingā€™, letting people buy the daily limit multiple times a day to go sell it on the black market or out of state. all 26 of their retail, cultivation and manufacturing licenses were suspended in december and they may all be stripped

@Northern_Loki at least in oregon people who provide a premium product, like always testing over 25% THC etc, are still getting 2k+ a lb where wholesale average is $900

4 Likes

Iā€™ve personally witnessed the bottomed out wholesale market in WA, with many processors and dispensaries offering prices for flower that are just criminally low. Itā€™s been resulting in mass corporate consolidation of cultivators and a lot of cultivator bankruptcies.
Another trend thatā€™s inevitable within many of the medical/adult use legal states is that they are going to become stuck with whatever mediocre mid strains they can get seeds/clones for and still get them in through their 15 day import windows. Because of this there is going to be a huge need for knowledgeable breeders, because without them many cultivation companies will truly be stuck with mids. This is going to escalate as a major issue until state law makers change the regulations, and theyā€™ve never been known as proactive.

4 Likes

what is this 15 day import window? What does that mean?

@Muleskinner In most medical/adult use states there is a 15 day window, shortly after the cultivation license is granted, that allows the cultivator to import strains/genetics. After that 15 day time period the cultivator can only gain new/different genetics by either breeding them with what they have or by obtaining them from other cultivation facilities (which almost never happens since they are competitors).

2 Likes

Wow, really? I wonder what the thinking is behind that?

3 Likes

@Northern_Loki Brother, Iā€™ve spend a good number of days blazing and thinking on that subject and there just isnā€™t a logical explanation. The best I ever figured out is that law makers, completely and totally ignorant to cannabis & the black market (like ā€œis that what weed looks like?ā€ levels of ignorant), got it in their heads that they wanted to discourage genetics coming in from the black market, because they believed not preventing it would ā€œencourageā€ the black market to continue to exist. Itā€™s the most believable explanation and the most telling of just how ignorant law makers are these days, or of just how ignorant voters are

Got any theories? Iā€™d love to hear them.

4 Likes

I think they do this on purpose. So they can complain bout black market pot, when in reality they create the black market with high prices(taxes).This lets the cops and dea still keep doing what they do,and lets some people use pot. Cops and dea dont want marijuana to be legal, its a cash cow for them and the easiest thing they can do, best bang for the buck and chances are they wont be getting shot at over it liek they would opiates ,cocaine ,meth and bath salts.
Easy to bust and has high value so they can keep saying they are doing a good job by taking money off the streets.In reality that money they say is being stolen from good citizens gets to be confiscated and use by the dea and cops involved with the busts.The united states has a huge confiscation and seizure issue thats been going on for decades.

3 Likes

Growing premium weed here? Overall indoor will be clobbered with any Indian Summer in southern Oregon. Indoor is year round so can up their prices this time of year. At 10-12 cents a KwHr its still expensive to grow indoors. They have to compete with free sunlight. They grow MONSTER plants outdoors in Southern Oregon. Look at the Jorge Cervantes vids online. Hard to compete with $5 a gram stuff. There is always a top shelf market, but itā€™s small. The average stoner has average income or less.

As for driving smaller growers out, that has already happened in Oregon. Half the grow licenses here have been sold to larger interests. You could survive on a micro-grow license growing niche strains. But the licenses and restrictions, inventory system, financials, tax issues, employment requirements, security and other stuff? High up front costs are as expensive as larger grow licenses. And then you have to grow the plants, get them harvested and trimmed out, get them tested, bag and label them, find a buyer and sell your units. The mites are here waiting, as is lots of rain and weird weather (outdoors), and its still a cash only business.

3 Likes

They always are smallā€¦ but still very lucrative.

Dunno about top shelf even existing here any more. Jim Belushi has a top shelf grow op in Southern Oregon now. Jim Belushi estate brand Rogueā€™s Lair Farms. Not sure he needs or even wants a fat profit. Seems more of a hobby. Grows Cherry Pie and 7 other strains. Belushi Cherry Pie, 19.07% top shelf, price? $5 a gram. Bottom shelf pricing. 5 a gr, 110 an oz, retail.

how many growers commit to 100% organic, only dry nutrients, and no spinosad, azadirachtin, or other pesticides? This is the only type of weed Iā€™ll consume.

I have yet to see anyone selling soil-grown full organic herb anywhere on the commercial market. Compromises have to be made to grow profitably on a large scale.

4 Likes

There is no way to become USDA organic certified growing marijuana. That is because the evil weed is still not legal at the federal level. So growers cannot say that they are organic or be certified or labeled as organic until the feds legalize weed. No way around it as the federal government OWNS the word ORGANIC when it comes to agriculture products. But what you want is far beyond organic. Neem, copper sulphate, Spinosad, etc. are allowed in organic growing. Weed is being tested in Oregon and California to the strictest of standards. So organic is kind of moot here. And with the mite issue here there is literally NO WAY to grow weed w/o some type of miticide.

3 Likes

Back to the race to the bottom and growing hemp? Here is an interesting article on the oversupply of marijuana in Oregon and the coming hemp rush.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/marijuana-growers-diversify-hemp-amid-cbd-boom-063654432.html

2 Likes

I know man - even 100% OMRI organic isnā€™t good enough for me! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Not many people will pay to get the kind of weed I like but there will be a certain market segment for this. It is possible to grow crops without any synthetic pesticides or the world would have starved for all of human history before WWII.

Here in Mass. the state law does allow use of the word ā€œorganicā€, itā€™s a very simple clause that says only OMRI-approved products are used and you can call it ā€œorganicā€ small ā€œoā€, not OMRI certified organic. I do think the vast majority of the market will be mass-produced herb with pesticides, and thatā€™s fine by me. But I wonā€™t be buying those products. :smile:

1 Like

brownguy 420 did full organic notill in oregonā€¦ he was struggling to get 1200-1300 a pound and he probably couldnā€™t even sell 50lb