Cannabis microscopy

Usually when they start to turn amber, that’s a sign the bloom cycle is near the end. Other things happen as well, usually the stalk of the trichome curves down. Also most of the caps reach maximum size and the height of the trichomes are maxed out as well.

3 Likes

Thanks again!
Do you feel that color plays any part at all in the amount or the chemical state of THC in a trichome?

Just so you know, I am not a believer of trichome color determining my harvest times.

BTW
Is the color of the substance going up the trich stalk purple ect, not amber as it appears to be in the photo?

I did not mean to put you on the spot here, just wondering what your educated opinion is.
Not searching for right or wrong, just an opinion.

2 Likes

Yep the color is more purple than the reddish you see in the photo. I can adjust the colors to any hue, so it’s hard to get it exact like you see in real life. As for the color being some kind of change… well there has to be some kind of change, or else the color wouldn’t change. IT starts out clear, then goes white, and finally amber. When I make the hash, you can see the cup shaped cores of the trichome spill out of the caps.

You can see they are various shades of color.

3 Likes

Thank you again for your valuable time.
Also for your brain power. :grin:
When this happens do you think anything of value remains in the water?
Or is it mostly fats, lipids ect.?

2 Likes

Seriously interesting thread man! I’ve always been interested in doing stuff like this, it’s probably a bit technical for me but I find it really interesting. Excellent sharing of information man. :clap:
I’d love to read about your hash making processes too!:v:

2 Likes

Some terpenes are lost to the water, no doubt, and the colors as well as some chlorophyll. The losses are negligible.

It took me a while to learn how to use the hardware and software, but it was totally worth the struggle. Researching various odds and sods doesn’t happen out there in the real world, so I learn things nobody has learned before.

3 Likes

It has these pink buds. I’ll show you how it seems pink at a microscopic level it’s nuts.
It has red and white colored cells there. You can really see the combo once you Zoom in, otherwise it just looks red! One day, I’ll see how red/pink the buds can get.

8 Likes

As always, fantastic microscopic photography!

4 Likes

Here’s the basic deets on the TK. It’s not going to be a good hash yield, I can tell that already. That’s ok! Gonna try the buds when I do the harvest! See how the melt and flavors are. Short trichomes, not total coverage though, which is the important part.

5 Likes

I love the work you do.
Do you ever run across extra large trichome heads?

2 Likes

Definitely, the largest I’ve seen was on the FLC-BX1 at 180μm across the cap.

3 Likes

FLC?
What is that strain/cultivar?

2 Likes

That was the franco’s lemon cheese back cross 1, part of a most excellent seed gift I studied the plants.

7 Likes

I see! :face_with_monocle:
Thank you very much!
Did you notice if it was particularly strong.
I have heard large trich heads are worth selecting for…BTW

2 Likes

I would say yes…LOL

Hmmmm?
Only CBD: 0.6 too!

I guess I should have asked you if it was trippy?

@TeamOG
This thread is pretty clean, if the owner wants it kept clean.
Feel free to clean up my kinda off topic posts. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Actually I found the strain with smaller caps but more of them, will produce more hash than one with larger caps. I suppose if you could drum up larger caps AND more trichomes it could make a difference. I’ll keep studying new seedlings :wink: The answer is in there somewhere.

6 Likes

Larger caps are more desired for the quality of the content.

I believe the reason is just what this strain/cultivar is expressing.
Low CBD and fairly high THC.
But I would need to check to be sure.

This info is from Sam the skunk face…LOL

I don’t care much for the guy, but some of his info is pretty good.

Thanks again for sharing the info.
Even more thanks for the cool pics. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m brewing up another snuff film with an aphid and sulfur water. I’m not sure sulfur really kills anything besides fungus. It’s another classic so far where the bug kicks and squirms followed by it sitting still for a long time. It never stops moving. The video should be done… fairly soon.

3 Likes

Here is a link to my grow using your protocol zero at the end of the thread to get rid of mites after a bad purchase on strainly. Hopefully it works and I don’t have to pitch my genetics.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, you have some nutrient in there to keep 'em growing while they clone? I had 25% loss of clones if I do it and just use plain water no nutrients. They all survived when I used nutrients.

1 Like