Cannabis NFTs (non-fungible tokens)

Continuing the discussion from Copycat genetics:

Seems like this new crazy phenomenon of NFTs is coming to the Cannabis scene. Thanks @Swe-can for digging this one out. I’ve also found other mentions of the NFT sales actually already happening…

You basically buy overpriced seeds together with an artwork securitized by NFT. It is a digital token that can be transferred (bought, sold) through blockchain without need for a middle-man. The idea is to create rare collectible items. Price of NFTs are insane, basically it is a product for people that want to display their wealth.

It’s possible that this will be a new trend.

12 Likes

this guy (copycat) is clearly just trying to capitalize off NFT hype, just about everyone is.

I think nfts have their spot in the environment somewhere, but in general they are pretty damn stupid imo

6 Likes

While the overpriced seeds are definitely silly, especially if there’s nothing special about them genetically, NFTs in general could end up seeing some use. I doubt they’ll accrue as much value for their rarity as some seem to expect; on the other hand, some people are probably going to get lucky. I figured I was throwing money away when I bought into BTC at over $2k/coin and ETH at $200, back in 2017… I was wrong about this whole blockchain thing being a fad then, apparently, and might be equally wrong about this. Market bubbles are a weird thing, especially in an attention economy.

6 Likes

This guy will never stop surprising us… wonder what’s next

3 Likes

I’m at a loss of words. Toilet paper for my finger. I got a pull it out of my butt

I sold an NFT that was a picture of my cats puke for $8863.27

Make fun of this “trend” or capitalize. Your choice

:sunglasses:
Doc

6 Likes

I would think the only benefit in the NFT is resale value of the original seeds, or cuts thereof.

I know Gage Green really think they’re important enough to justify an NFT, but Copycat thinks he’s that special, too?

Meh. I won’t knock the hustle, but it’s sort of like bragging that you won on a scratch ticket. Money’s money, but it’s really not the accomplishment you’re making it out to be.

2 Likes

I predict this is the next big controversy in the OG scene.

there is amazing upside to this for everyone here but are we too old school to forge new paths???

1 Like

I thought this was about Nutrient Film Technique, I was ready to see weed in NFT channels :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a use for NFTs, but idk if that’s how they are actually used.
I know that usually they are ‘art’ that can be sold and traded, but can they be used as information as well?

could someone make an NFT a story or lineage of a certain strain that they are working/worked? this way no one (forum or platform) could take it away or make it unavailable. the QR code for the free preview could be printed on seed packs.
the grower could read up on any information the seed maker found pertinent, lineage, yield, growth patterns, how many pheno to expect, etc.

like a decentralized digital plant tag.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. So I’m thinking the NFT would be:

• a picture of the plants that the pack produces; Or; a picture of the parent(s) that produced the seeds; and
  • a written description of the traits.

I’ve had the idea of making Baseball / Pokemon / MTG type trading cards forever now. This would be easier than tangible cards, but do they actually serve a purpose? The physical cards just give me a valid and honest answer for customs. Lol

The competition would be able to counterfeit the NFT, too… they would fuck around and have a knock-off of your work with a knock-off of your packaging, and a knock-off of your proof of purchase to boot. An NFT for a small time grower might not mean shit against a larger scammy competitor

3 Likes

yes they could, but i would rather the information be available for future generations. forums can shut down, edit your posts, delete your info, etc. and instagram is a joke when it comes to archival knowledge. an NFT will last and if it is never sold/traded no one will be able to change the info. and you don’t have to pay annually for hosting your own website.
i don’t know if this is even feasible with NFT.

2 Likes

Another channel for non-growers to level up their Canna-cred ? What the virtual fuck? I bet they don’t even give you the flat powder covered stale gum with your pokeypot cards and shitty seeds…Fungible this…copycat…hmphffff.

1 Like

That’s actually what NFTs were intended for all along, according to many of the Ethereum maximalists - representing ownership so that smart contracts on the blockchain could automatically execute based on that ownership. Then you’d have another NFT to represent your online identity, so that you could log into decentralized servers with your identity known and verified - but not known to the server you’re logging into, since all they can see is that you’re known and verified by some trustworthy entity. That, of course, is a whole different controversy since now all these startup crypto companies are vying to be the one and only purveyor of identity on “Web 3.0.”

The other issue with all this is cost - it’s usually prohibitively expensive to create an NFT with all the data you’d want for actual commercial trade on any actual public blockchain, so people have been creating NFTs of links to private servers which host the data. At that point, you’re trading decentralization for cost though, which puts us in the same situation we started but with some new shiny collectibles for people to shill and hype. And here we are. :stuck_out_tongue: Luckily, it gives Tom Brady and Paris Hilton a new way to make money they’ll never use or even be able to count to, so everyone’s happy, right?

5 Likes

@CADMAN you read this? Looks like someone took your trading cards idea that you made a while back. The ones with the seeds in them. Lol

2 Likes

As real life becomes too much for the subdued peasants your going to see a lot of imaginery bs like 4 star generals that never shot a daisy bb gun etc.

@Worcestershire_Farms i’m sorry to see that I really am. There’s no in that call in that. Telling somebody to shut up or little heat in the moment and then an apology but that is uncalled for cussing at someone like that.

Yesss I seen this. It was a matter of time before someone attempted to copy me … too bad they don’t have their own original idea lol

1 Like

Yeah yo, kind of like what you were thinking, but you know, good. :joy:
Imagine thinking you were the originator of trading cards. That’s some impressive mental gymnastics :sweat_smile: :beers:

Oh gawd has NFT’s found the cannabis industry now…sigh.

2 Likes